Sam Allardyce

Thespence

Only Villa won less games than the mackems last season. The Master.

As Portugal showed, you don't need to win games to win tournaments.

No wonder football is so much boring these days if that's the approach.

If he got the England job would he have to quit the sunderland position? Seems like he can't get out of there fast enough.

Not if you are playing FIFA16 or something. But of course you can't do both a club job the England one at the same time in real life. It's a little unlike him to not have signed anyone yet, that to me would be a clear signal that he at least thinks he's on his way.

As an Englishman that would be a truly dreadful appointment, still if Roy Hodgson and Steve McClaren  can be England managers why not this complete tool ? Really the choices they've seemed to have limited themselves to because of a stupid little ingerland mentality are shocking. just offer Wenger a stack of cash, it's simple really, you want to do well in world class tournaments then hire a world class manager not a used car salesman, or whatever vocation in life these English candidates missed.

Them win %'s :lol:

Preston North End (1992) Win 25%

Blackpool (1994-96) Win 43%

Notts County (1997-99) Win 38.6%

Bolton Wanderers (1999-2007) Win 41.2%

Newcastle United (2007-08) Win 33.3%

Blackburn Rovers (2008-10) Win 35.6%

West Ham United (2011-15) Win 37.6%

Sunderland (2015-present) Win 29%

Them win %'s :lol:

Preston North End (1992) Win 25%

Blackpool (1994-96) Win 43%

Notts County (1997-99) Win 38.6%

Bolton Wanderers (1999-2007) Win 41.2%

Newcastle United (2007-08) Win 33.3%

Blackburn Rovers (2008-10) Win 35.6%

West Ham United (2011-15) Win 37.6%

Sunderland (2015-present) Win 29%

It's shocking really that a person with his record is even being considered for the role, which once upon a time was the thing all managers (at least English ones) strived towards.

Allardyce isn't a quality manager, we all know that. But he's even more not suited to being a national team manager. He did well at Bolton by turning them into a professional setup, had them paying attention to diet and more forward-thinking training methods. If he's anything, he's fitness oriented in his style of coaching. That doesn't translate to a national team setup. His one (questionable) strength is one that doesn't apply when you have such little contact time with the players.

The biggest factor in managing an England team is the ability to manage the egos. How do you think he's going to do with that? What about his reputation makes anyone at the FA think that a player is going to come from training with one of the best managers in the world with his club team, then start taking orders from Fat Sam?

This will be a disaster.

If he got the England job would he have to quit the sunderland position? Seems like he can't get out of there fast enough.

Not if you are playing FIFA16 or something. But of course you can't do both a club job the England one at the same time in real life. It's a little unlike him to not have signed anyone yet, that to me would be a clear signal that he at least thinks he's on his way.

As an Englishman that would be a truly dreadful appointment, still if Roy Hodgson and Steve McClaren  can be England managers why not this complete tool ? Really the choices they've seemed to have limited themselves to because of a stupid little ingerland mentality are shocking. just offer Wenger a stack of cash, it's simple really, you want to do well in world class tournaments then hire a world class manager not a used car salesman, or whatever vocation in life these English candidates missed.

It's not necessarily a little England mentality, I think we should go for an English manager fully aware that the options are bad. Not because I think 'we tried foreign and it doesnt work' like old Ian said, I just prefer national teams to have managers from their own countries.

Just wish they'd take a punt on someone unusual rather than a below average dullard. Give it to an ex-player or something.  International football is weird, who'd have though Chris Coleman would take a small nation to a semi final? Normal rules don't always apply.

It really is a sorry state of affairs when doing a good job at Bolton (I think we have to give him that), distinctly average to poor with Newcastle, ok at West Ham (where the fans hated him and couldn't wait to get rid) and then managing Sunderland to 17th is enough to get you the England job.

I had a chat with a Sunderland supporting friend of mine this morning about it. He's a very intelligent guy, knows his football and he told me he would be really sad to see Sam go because they were a mess when he arrived, he brought in the right players to fill the gaps they had in their squad and he organised the defence and transformed them.

I can sort of see some of his points, but they still had the 4th worst defensive record in the league last year and I think he relies on constantly drilling his players to get them organised. He simply wouldn't have time to implement that organisation with England and I think he would be totally clueless when it came to trying to break down a team that is set up to stop us. He's never had to do that in his career, he thrives on playing spoiling football against bigger and better teams. It would just be a cmplete disaster.