Football podcasts

Gash

Yorkie[/member], thank you for making SPM part of my weekly podcast schedule.

:thup: It's perfect and Rory Smith is the man. Agreed entirely with the email a couple weeks back which said it's the best item of football content out there. Without sounding like a dick I'm still so buzzing that I've had a couple of emails read out on it. :lol:

Made the mistake of listening to a full episode of Football Ramble again today.

Used to love the show, now it's unbearable. Last few months only been skipping ahead the Friday shows for Luke's Game, but listened to the whole thing earlier.

Spent two minutes on some bollocks joke about Louis Theraux I didn't understand the point of, another few minutes of unimportance about Arsenal's new ceo, what with all the ads at the start and middle, skip the cleverly disguised Betway ad section, Pete's horrible jingles - Luke's Game is the only thing holding that Franchise together now.  :sad:

Used to enjoy the old show, Going for GLOLd!  :rolleyes:

Yeah it’s definitely not what it was - I didn’t mind it to begin with as seemed fresh with the new people ( all of whom are decent in their own right )

But now it’s lost its USP!

Kate as host instantly makes me want to turn it off, she isn’t even a bad host per se but just doesn’t fit the show at all— it seems aswel what they used to take the piss out off they are now themselves - riddled with adverts , jokes dragging on for weeks that are not funny ( think they purposely laugh more at Kate etc to make them feel comfortable which is fine but it’s a cringe listen most of the time )

Vish and Pete now seem bored- Andy is very knowledgeable and a good guy but doesn’t fit the show either...

But of a shame and can’t really knock them for cashing in especially if it keeps things going in these times,

Hope post covid ( next season ) they go back to the original 4 on Mondays / Fridays- ( even a mix the other days won’t really matter just would be nice for that consistency and standard for the 4 on them days ) will keep giving it a chance until then- still really hits the note when Marcus Jim and Luke are on- Marcus is superb host in his own right and perfect for this

Vish was in the year above me at uni, really sound guy and I’ve read a number of his articles (mainly on cricket) and they’ve always been really well written. Never listened to football ramble before though, is Vish decent on that?

Vish was in the year above me at uni, really sound guy and I’ve read a number of his articles (mainly on cricket) and they’ve always been really well written. Never listened to football ramble before though, is Vish decent on that?

He started great , very dry and funny guy, seems to have lost his way a bit - maybe due to the rotation of hosts so he can’t find his feet / consistency

Made the mistake of listening to a full episode of Football Ramble again today.

Used to love the show, now it's unbearable. Last few months only been skipping ahead the Friday shows for Luke's Game, but listened to the whole thing earlier.

Spent two minutes on some bollocks joke about Louis Theraux I didn't understand the point of, another few minutes of unimportance about Arsenal's new ceo, what with all the ads at the start and middle, skip the cleverly disguised Betway ad section, Pete's horrible jingles - Luke's Game is the only thing holding that Franchise together now.  :sad:

Used to enjoy the old show, Going for GLOLd!  :rolleyes:

Yeah it’s definitely not what it was - I didn’t mind it to begin with as seemed fresh with the new people ( all of whom are decent in their own right )

But now it’s lost its USP!

Kate as host instantly makes me want to turn it off, she isn’t even a bad host per se but just doesn’t fit the show at all— it seems aswel what they used to take the piss out off they are now themselves - riddled with adverts , jokes dragging on for weeks that are not funny ( think they purposely laugh more at Kate etc to make them feel comfortable which is fine but it’s a cringe listen most of the time )

Vish and Pete now seem bored- Andy is very knowledgeable and a good guy but doesn’t fit the show either...

But of a shame and can’t really knock them for cashing in especially if it keeps things going in these times,

Hope post covid ( next season ) they go back to the original 4 on Mondays / Fridays- ( even a mix the other days won’t really matter just would be nice for that consistency and standard for the 4 on them days ) will keep giving it a chance until then- still really hits the note when Marcus Jim and Luke are on- Marcus is superb host in his own right and perfect for this

Agree with this. I still like it, it's easy listening when going for a walk or something but yeah it's not got the same spark. And like you, I don't blame them.

Be nice to have the original 4 on a couple of times a week though.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone any thoughts on the podcast Pod on the Tyne?

I initially liked it (mainly I think because it was the only Newcastle only footy podcast I'd listened to) but I'm now increasingly finding it tedious and even slightly annoying.

I prefer to listen to George Caulkin in places where he's not subjected to the witty banter of Taylor Payne or made to read out lengthy adverts for pube trimmers.

:lol: Indeed, the amount of adverts is maybe what annoys me the most. Payne's forced joviality (I'm convinced they all hate each other). The recent quizes smack of time filling.

A bit like Newcastle at the minute it's slapdash and unconvincing.

Enjoyed hearing Aaron Hughes on, would like to hear from some more players like him - but aye, generally found boring/annoying and stopped listening

Are you on about the Aaron Hughes one from a long while ago (that was excellent), or has he been on again?

There's been some good episodes and some good discussions. We've covered it a lot in the other journalism thread but it's a really frustrating podcast; it needn't be as shit as it is. The tone of it is so needlessly childish. On the rare occasions Taylor isn't trying to crack some dismal joke, he's perfectly fine to listen to and his views pretty much align with most of ours', as far as I can tell.

Enjoyed hearing Aaron Hughes on, would like to hear from some more players like him - but aye, generally found boring/annoying and stopped listening

Are you on about the Aaron Hughes one from a long while ago (that was excellent), or has he been on again?

There's been some good episodes and some good discussions. We've covered it a lot in the other journalism thread but it's a really frustrating podcast; it needn't be as shit as it is. The tone of it is so needlessly childish. On the rare occasions Taylor isn't trying to crack some dismal joke, he's perfectly fine to listen to and his views pretty much align with most of ours', as far as I can tell.

It was last spring or summer, or at least that's when I listened to it.

Really enjoyed hearing from a player like that who spent a good while at the club from young but was always a quiet one - then was moved on unnecessarily imo.

Really good listen this. Covers a lot of stuff including scoring in the derby, coming back from injury, what Ben Arfa and sissoko were like, Colo’s party and carroll smacking Steven Taylor :lol:

Really good listen this. Covers a lot of stuff including scoring in the derby, coming back from injury, what Ben Arfa and sissoko were like, Colo’s party and carroll smacking Steven Taylor :lol:

Great listen, basically confirmed the Llambias Pardew rumours. Interesting to hear him speak so highly of Pardew and even Mike Ashley being capable of decency.

Taylor comes across so down to earth , seems a great fella.

Will definitely give that a listen but I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks highly of Pardew. Not that I disliked Raylor - I think he made a really worthwhile contribution on the pitch in his time here, particularly in the Championship and then in 11/12 - but you could tell he was a favourite of Pards'. He was still playing fairly consistently despite terrible injuries and not being that great a player in the first place.