Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

How the fuck does this shit take 3-4 days?

Lie in --> breakfast --> little lie down --> dinnertime --> post dinner nap --> afternoon tea/brief talk --> nap before tea --> More talks over tea --> No need for more talks, pints instead.

Really wouldn't surprise me if in years gone by, Ashley was one of these people that loves having meetings about having a meeting.

I hope and believe that Rafa is immense at Powerpoint presentations. Getting Ashley to understand is gonna be some challenge.

Needs to hire the team of WH staffers who dumb down Trump's daily briefings to 2 or 3 plain-speak bullet points for him to process.

posting an nufcblog article :lol: what in the living fuck

I only posted it to show that’s the one Odin was on about and it was ridiculous. Think that was pretty clear like

posting an nufcblog article :lol: what in the living f***

I only posted it to show that’s the one Odin was on about and it was ridiculous. Think that was pretty clear like

You are correct. Apologies. I did a quick scan of newsnow and it was in the headlines so assumed it might be credible 😂

The best thing Rafa could do is go on the lash with Ashley, that’s the only time you’ll ever get anything out of him. Kinnear had that sussed.

Some of the news sites are claiming Ashley won’t budge at all on money or control.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if this doesn’t end well.

If that’s the case Rafa will walk and the club will probably implode

No it won’t man, they’ll hire some wanker and there’ll be a stadium full of cowed empty vessels sitting there for our first game.

Ashley picked the perfect club, he can do whatever the fuck he wants and nobody will stop him.

I'm in two minds about this, as I am most things, but I am leaning towards Ashley actually wanting to keep Rafa. Its how much Ashley will relinquish to do that. It won't be as much as Rafa wants, and it might be a tad more than Ashley wants to give (not just money) but I think agreement will be reached.

6 weeks later Rafa to be furious again and Barnes slinking around in the background. I'd love to know what that fuckers brief is.

If that was the case... They wouldn't still be talking.

Why do people persist with this?

Things we know for certain:

- Rafa's a consummate professional who always honours his contract

- Rafa is presently under contract

Given the above, if you're employed by someone and they ask you to go to a meeting, you go. If they ask you to come back tomorrow, you come back tomorrow. Anything else is breach of contract and Rafa will not do that, we know this. He'll go to every meeting he's invited to, he'll listen to everything said to him. That doesn't mean for one instant that he'll sign anything at the end of it. He'd be mad to, and another thing we know about Rafa is he's clearly not mad.

He will continue to attend every meeting the club ask him to, because that's his job and he's been asked to attend these meetings by his bosses. To read anything more in to that is crazy, to suggest that him still attending meetings is a positive is just delusional.

I absolutely hope I'm wrong, Rafa is the best thing about the club at the moment, the only thing that keeps me even remotely interested. But he will leave this summer, I'm as sure as I can be about that.

Exactly this. Doesn't mean it still wont end with him walking but still talking means there is willingness and something to talk about...

..hopefully not severance lol.

Exactly this. Doesn't mean it still wont end with him walking but still talking means there is willingness and something to talk about...

..hopefully not severance lol.

It absolutely doesn't. It just means he's doing what his bosses ask him to do whilst still under contract.

Of course it doesn't mean there's NOT something to sort out either, but you simply cannot read into continued dialogue the things you're trying to. He's simply going to meetings his bosses have asked him to attend. Knowing him as we do, how can he not?

after 2 days of talks i think rafa will know if he,s staying or going by now ,its just the fans that dont know whether there coming or going  :azn:

I’ll definitely be coming if he stays.

Why do people persist with this?

Things we know for certain:

- Rafa's a consummate professional who always honours his contract

- Rafa is presently under contract

Given the above, if you're employed by someone and they ask you to go to a meeting, you go. If they ask you to come back tomorrow, you come back tomorrow. Anything else is breach of contract and Rafa will not do that, we know this. He'll go to every meeting he's invited to, he'll listen to everything said to him. That doesn't mean for one instant that he'll sign anything at the end of it. He'd be mad to, and another thing we know about Rafa is he's clearly not mad.

He will continue to attend every meeting the club ask him to, because that's his job and he's been asked to attend these meetings by his bosses. To read anything more in to that is crazy, to suggest that him still attending meetings is a positive is just delusional.

I absolutely hope I'm wrong, Rafa is the best thing about the club at the moment, the only thing that keeps me even remotely interested. But he will leave this summer, I'm as sure as I can be about that.

His contract allowed him to walk away for free some time after February I think it was. Or at least that's what was reported.

His contract allowed him to walk away for free some time after February I think it was. Or at least that's what was reported.

So?

He always sees out his contracts. We know this about him. He could have walked away at any point for a fee, maybe from February for no fee. But he would never do either, it's not what he does. He was always going to be our manager until the day his contract expired, unless he was sacked. That remains the case, and he'll conduct himself with the utmost decorum and professionalism until that day comes. If that includes going to pointless meetings with fatso, then that's what he'll do because that's the man he is.

To attempt to read anything in to him continuing to do what he has always done at every club is to completely missjudge the entire essence of Rafa Benitez. That said, I get why people are doing that, we all want to believe. Me included. But let's be realistic here, Rafa is just being Rafa here, there's nothing we can read into his continued attendance of meetings and failure to say "fuck it" and stomp off.

So?

He always sees out his contracts. We know this about him.He could have walked away at any point for a fee, maybe from February for no fee. But he would never do either, it's not what he does. He was always going to be our manager until the day his contract expired, unless he was sacked. That remains the case, and he'll conduct himself with the utmost decorum and professionalism until that day comes. If that includes going to pointless meetings with fatso, then that's what he'll do because that's the man he is.

To attempt to read anything in to him continuing to do what he has always done at every club is to completely missjudge the entire essence of Rafa Benitez. That said, I get why people are doing that, we all want to believe. Me included. But let's be realistic here, Rafa is just being Rafa here, there's nothing we can read into his continued attendance of meetings and failure to say "fuck it" and stomp off.

That's a very specific set of (what I presume to be) assumptions though given this scenario is very specific. I've always thought that the whole "seeing your contract through" concept in football related to finishing the season as opposed to working right up until the actual date on the contract.

Unless they're not assumptions, and in the past Rafa was at a club where the season has finished (i.e. "job done" from his viewpoint) just before his contract expires, and the Board had said they didn't want him to stay because they didn't share his vision, and his contract still had a few weeks remaining, and the same contract allowed him to walk with no fees/penalties from that point onwards, Rafa had stayed regardless till he had hit that original expiry date in the contract?

If so, or if there's a quote from him saying "I won't leave a job till the contract date has expired no matter what, even if they want me to go", then fair enough. If there's nothing of the sort from Rafa's past, and you are just assuming based on his character, then just to clarify I'm not stating your argument [that these talks could be worthless and he's just seeing the contract out because he's a man of principle] is wrong. I'm saying maybe it's 50% likely that you're right, but that there's a 50% chance that you're not, i.e. Rafa views it as "job done", he's seen his contract through in terms of the spirit of the contract, and he'd not be hanging around meeting with a filibustering Ashley if his time was being wasted.

There's also the possibility that if Ashley was wasting Rafa's time, Rafa could just head back up to his office in St James' (as opposed to quitting) because it's not like he'll have a contract clause saying "if the owner wants to meet with you in X location for X days, you must always attend, or else". This is a multi-millionaire widely respect/experienced/successful football manager, not your average office lackey who'll jump if the boss tells him to. He's a headstrong and confident man who is also on a contract that is about to expire where (presumably) both parties can terminate with no cost, so heading back to the club instead of staying in pointless meetings would have no actual consequences (at worst Ashley would terminate Rafa's contract). I'm not quite sure he'd just put up with Ashley pissing him about for 4 days straight in an office in London just because he's a nice guy who won't walk away from a job. Maybe he is, I just don't see it as a certainty. And yes, this does give some hope.

Guest neesy111

Absolutely comical a manager who WANTS to stay at NUFC is this close towards the end of his contract.

Guest covmag

Dunno if this deserves a thread on it's own.

Question...

If Rafa goes are you still gonna go and renew?

Me..definitely NOT

I'm not being a petulant child I just see no point in supporting a club run like this.

It's hard to see how this is going to get resolved. It's not as though each party was unaware of the other's basic position before the meetings started.

I suspect that Rafa has a genuine vision whereby if there is investment that brings the squad up to, say, a Leicester / Everton like level, he would be able to over achieve from then on. With the crowd behind the team at home, and Rafa's ability to organise a defensive performance away, we could do very well.

The stumbling block is probably this idea of a one-off investment which brings the squad to a certain point, and thereafter becomes self-sustaining. Generally speaking, that doesn't seem to work in the Premiership. Once you start spending, you usually have to continue spending to maintain position. It's difficult in practice to reach the kind of 'plateau' that the strategy suggests.

What Rafa has to do is sell the idea that his idea is the exception, and that in the case of our particular club with him as the particular manager, it will all work. Rafa believes in it for sure.

Ashley's view - and don't shoot the messenger - is that he saved the club from administration and financial collapse, and he's not willing to put any more of his own money in.

Is he going to blink first? I've really no idea. Rafa's vision makes sense, but Ashley can be a very tough nut to crack.