Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

already a few signs of it when he hangs on to the ball for just an extra second or so - the way he plays i think he's gonna have the same issues as HBA.

too much expected of him and he's going to have to try saving matches all on his own.

next scapegoat.

3 attackers like Joelinton, Almiron and St Maximin would have been fun to watch under Rafa's tutelage. 

I don't think Rafa would've fancied ASM at all tbh.

I said the same thing after watching youtube videos of him when we were looking to sign him. Rafa likes players who can stick to his methods and play for the team. For someone like Bruce or Pardew though ASM could be perfect. Neither of those two would have any idea how to build a functioning team, so a player with a bit of magic to win a game is a godsend.

3 attackers like Joelinton, Almiron and St Maximin would have been fun to watch under Rafa's tutelage. 

I said the same thing after watching youtube videos of him when we were looking to sign him. Rafa likes players who can stick to his methods and play for the team. For someone like Bruce or Pardew though ASM could be perfect. Neither of those two would have any idea how to build a functioning team, so a player with a bit of magic to win a game is a godsend.

Yeah totally agree. Not taking anything away from the bloke as a wildcard if you like but there's no way Rafa would entertain the idea of a loose cannon imho.

He'd need to be much more disciplined to work within a Rafa set up.

I honestly don't think he'd have signed off on any of our incoming deals this summer.

Guest godzilla

Yeah totally agree. Not taking anything away from the bloke as a wildcard if you like but there's no way Rafa would entertain the idea of a loose cannon imho.

I honestly don't think he'd have signed off on any of our incoming deals this summer.

You're right someone mentioned Ben Arfa earlier and Rafa wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole either.

I actually quite like Joelinton, but he is going to get the blame for not scoring goals in a team which barely gets out of it's own half. He's on a hiding to nothing.

Whether he is worth £40m is another debate, but he's got no chance with that sort of midfield behind him.

Guest godzilla

I actually quite like Joelinton, but he is going to get the blame for not scoring goals in a team which barely gets out of it's own half. He's on a hiding to nothing.

Whether he is worth £40m is another debate, but he's got no chance with that sort of midfield behind him.

His all round play has been decent but don't think he is a natural goalscorer mind looking at a few chances he's missed already.

His all round play has been decent but don't think he is a natural goalscorer mind looking at a few chances he's missed already.

Hard to tell off a few snatched chances. I don't think he did a lot wrong with his header on the weekend, he was trying to put it low in the corner and it went the wrong side of the post. He looks a good player to me, maybe not a goalscorer, but could be a good target man if the goals were shared around.

Yeah I certainly don't dislike Joelinton but he'd have been Rondon's back up and on a development plan to succeed him if Rafa even fancied him which, at £40m, he clearly didn't.

Don't follow that logic. They both had Ben Arfa but made him a scapegoat at earliest opportunity. (Could be character differences like).

Don't follow that logic. They both had Ben Arfa but made him a scapegoat at earliest opportunity. (Could be character differences like).

Rafa played Dirk Kuyt on the right wing. What makes anyone think he'd want an ASM type in his side is beyond me.

I think Saint-Maximin, Joelinton would both massively benefit from the one to one coaching & detailed instructions they’d get from Rafa.

The instructions from Bruce must be so basic.

That video of Bruce saying “Or do whatever” to Almiron :anguish:

No tactical attacking plan. They would bring in a HBA for a bit of magic then realise they can't manage him and get rid.

I think that was just confused thinking. Both Bruce and Pardew preach the team ethic, but they don't have the slightest idea how to get players to gel as a collective. Rafa might set his teams up quite deep, but he is very good at getting the forwards to attack as a unit when they do break. Bruce and Pardew only know how to park the bus. That is why they end up relying on a bit of magic from individual strikers.