Antonio Barreca

An out of form and completely out of position Matt Ritchie has his place. If he can't dislodge him in the next few games he probably needs to retire.

Same goes for Kennedy.

:lol: I'd say that's a bit strong. He's a bit deeper but his role demands a balance of attacking and defensive duties which isn't too dissimilar to an orthodox winger.

Pretty sure there was an article in the Chronicle post-Spain that basically said he was brought in for cover and likely won't play.

He's an idiot for joining us if that's the case.

Wasn't he not getting a game for Monaco(?)? Maybe he was unhappy for other reasons.

??? Where's this coming from? Seems unlikely he would played him at the first opportunity if he had nowt to do with the signing. Seems to me we missed out on Lukaku so picked someone else further down the list.

Knowing how professional Rafa is, I kind of think that even if he was signed over his head he'd still play him if it would lead to an improvement on the pitch. Indicates he's probably just not that good.

Knowing how professional Rafa is, I kind of think that even if he was signed over his head he'd still play him if it would lead to an improvement on the pitch. Indicates he's probably just not that good.

Lazaar didnt start a single league game for us but as soon as Sheffield Wednesday fans see him play they love him. Mbabu was binned off for Manquillo. I'm beggining to suspect for everything he does know, he cant do fullbacks at all.

Guest reefatoon

Just seems a bit of a strange one. Even if he was signed as a squad player, he doesn’t even manage to make the squad. January is normally used to strengthen the team and bring in much needed players you have been lacking through the season. Left backs sitting in the stands was not really a priority. Looks like Ritchie, Dummet, Kenedy and Manquillo are all ahead of him. Pretty pointless even being called a backup with that many ahead.

Lazaar didnt start a single league game for us but as soon as Sheffield Wednesday fans see him play they love him. Mbabu was binned off for Manquillo. I'm beggining to suspect for everything he does know, he cant do fullbacks at all.

He signed a load of hopeless fullbacks at Liverpool. Josemi, Kromkamp, Dossena, Insua....

The only reason Longstaff got games is because we had nobody fit, it wasn't some master stroke that Rafa saw him and plucked him out of the development squad, he doesn't always get everything right all of the time.

The wingback position is pretty critical to the way he wants us to play though.

He signed a load of hopeless fullbacks at Liverpool. Josemi, Kromkamp, Dossena, Insua....

Gamez came and went with barely a start...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Full back is absolutely his biggest weakness. Like anyone, he's not perfect.

:thup: Fergie's was 'keepers until he just gave up and asked Schmeichel who Man United should buy and he said VDS. :lol: I wouldn't mind Rafa doing something similar with full backs tbh. Ask Steve Finnan or someone.