Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

Stunning from Giroud. One thing I'll never like about VAR despite it eventually getting the decision right, is that fact that goal, in these circumstances should have been followed by complete delirium, but the life is sucked out by the halt in play and the celebration afterwards is massively diluted. That initial response to an important goal is one of football's real highs and it's been taken away from us.

It would have been ruled out.

Stunning from Giroud. One thing I'll never like about VAR despite it eventually getting the decision right, is that fact that goal, in these circumstances should have been followed by complete delirium, but the life is sucked out by the halt in play and the celebration afterwards is massively diluted. That initial response to an important goal is one of football's real highs and it's been taken away from us.

It literally would have been disallowed but for VAR so not the best example to bring up :lol:

Yes  :lol: But the point still stands in general. I just think it's a shame we've lost that rapturousness on certain occasions. Which is not necessarily to say I don't want VAR in the game.

I miss the rapturousness and would love them to get rid of VAR permanently

Guest neesy111

Guessing ligue 1 is easily the strongest league in the world according to BT logic.

Astonishing arrogance wasn't it?  :lol:

What do you expect with 3 Muppets as pundits.

Also compare how much the squads cost.

Yes  :lol: But the point still stands in general. I just think it's a shame we've lost that rapturousness on certain occasions. Which is not necessarily to say I don't want VAR in the game.

At present the cons badly outweigh the pros, but I think with a serious look at the protocols, which includes getting rid of stupid marginal overturns because an elbow was offside or the like, far fewer goals would be reviewed and therefore fans can celebrate with more confidence.

If a goal gets fairly chalked off for a clear foul or offside, so be it. At least it would be fair and proves setting up an offside trap is worth the risk etc. Disallowed goals aren’t a new thing but I appreciate it would be nice if we saw fewer of them.

At present the cons badly outweigh the pros, but I think with a serious look at the protocols, which includes getting rid of stupid marginal overturns because an elbow was offside or the like, far fewer goals would be reviewed and therefore fans can celebrate with more confidence.

If a goal gets fairly chalked off for a clear foul or offside, so be it. At least it would be fair and proves setting up an offside trap is worth the risk etc. Disallowed goals aren’t a new thing but I appreciate it would be nice if we saw fewer of them.

I agree that currently it's watering down, stealing even, what I consider the most important aspects of football. For me football is a game of passion, the moment, the instinct, emotions. Without those I'm not terribly interested in the rest - stats (especially not shite like XG and out-of-game analysis), possession, tactics etc. I love the buzz of seeing the ball going in, the keeper pulling off an incredible save, a beautiful pass, a full-blooded tackle. For me VAR has diluted certain aspects of the game I've treasured since being a kid, the things that have kept me engaged with the game all my life, and it's also not eradicated mistakes entirely. It's been around long enough now to make a fair call on it, and I'd lean towards getting rid but would be open to a change in approach and use of it.

If you remove all the shite, and make it more in line with it's name [i'm guessing it is Video Assisted Referee] then it would be alright, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the technical advancement it claims to be. Why pay the inventors millions for what Gary and Jamie have been doing, in the studio, for years.