Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest reefatoon

Don't like the idea of Kenedy being so far away from goal

Yep. He looks a real attacking threat. We need goals and for him to be a part of that we need him on the wing.

Guest firetotheworks

Kenedy got himself into the number 10 position loads against Burnley. If he can continue to drift there from the left, and that's the reason he goes unnoticed by the opposition, then I'd keep him there.

Kenedy got himself into the number 10 position loads against Burnley. If he can continue to drift there from the left, and that's the reason he goes unnoticed by the opposition, then I'd keep him there.

He was all over, Rafa will drop him for failing to adhere to instructions.

I'm kidding. I hope.

Newcastle's squad for the remainder of the Premier League season has now been confirmed, with just 24 of the available 25 spots filled:

Atsu, Clark, Darlow, Diame, Dubravka, Dummett, Elliot, Gamez, Gayle, Gillesphey, Good, Haidara, Hayden, Joselu, Lascelles, Lejeune, Manquillo, Mbemba, Murphy, Perez, Ritchie, Shelvey, Slimani, Yedlin

(Merino and Kenedy are in the U21 list)

Omitted from the August 2017 selection are Aarons, Colback, Mitrovic, Saivet and Sterry; Curtis Good, Macaulay Gillesphey, Dubravka and Slimani join.

Nasri is out of contract and could sign on a free transfer.

I know he's a tw*t but could be exactly what we need as a #10.

Short term contract for the rest of the season.

Would potentially fuck up morale in the final, critical part of the season. Rafa not willing to take the risk, I'd say.

Nasri is out of contract and could sign on a free transfer.

I know he's a tw*t but could be exactly what we need as a #10.

Short term contract for the rest of the season.

Would potentially f*** up morale in the final, critical part of the season. Rafa not willing to take the risk, I'd say.

Yeah, he probably would.

But at the same time we don't have any player with that quality in the final third (maybe Kenedy?).

If it's worth the gamble I don't know.

I have an intense dislike for Nasri, he's a complete nob and ordinarily I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club but short term to the end of the season this doesn't look bad as a front four:

Slimani

Kenedy            Nasri          Murphy

Looking at: - http://www.nufc.com/2017-18html/squad.html

Player contracts ending Summer 2018: -

Massadio Haidara, Jesus Gamez and Curtis Good.

Player contracts ending Summer 2019: -

Mohamed Diame and Jack Colback.

Players loaned out who will return: -

Henri Saivet, Rolando Aarons, Freddie Woodman, Jamie Sterry, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Matz Sels, Adam Armstrong, Achraf Lazaar, Jack Colback, Dan Barlaser and Stuart Findlay.

A busy Summer of transfers awaits.

Toney?

I have an intense dislike for Nasri, he's a complete nob and ordinarily I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club but short term to the end of the season this doesn't look bad as a front four:

Slimani

Kenedy            Nasri          Murphy

That looks good. But I would swap Murphy for Atsu.

Looking at: - http://www.nufc.com/2017-18html/squad.html

Player contracts ending Summer 2018: -

Massadio Haidara, Jesus Gamez and Curtis Good.

Player contracts ending Summer 2019: -

Mohamed Diame and Jack Colback.

Players loaned out who will return: -

Henri Saivet, Rolando Aarons, Freddie Woodman, Jamie Sterry, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Matz Sels, Adam Armstrong, Achraf Lazaar, Jack Colback, Dan Barlaser and Stuart Findlay.

A busy Summer of transfers awaits.

Toney?

Reserve squad: -

http://www.nufc.com/2017-18html/squad-reserves.html

Should we go down again I wonder who we could keep hold of. Our squad is arguably weaker than the last two relegation seasons  so coming back would be even harder. Guess Arma, Longstaff, Good will get games :lol:

Depends who the manager is.

• 4 weeks later...

Jackson Martinez has been released from his chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande and is now on a free transfer.

They bought him for £37,5M and is now released!

He's now 31 but must be better than what we have at the moment. Was very prolific at Porto a couple of seasons ago and we've been linked with him many times before.

Someone to consider as an early transfer in the summer?

• 4 weeks later...

Just putting it out there but would people be happy if we kept the same back four next season?

I would be although if a better right back or an exceptional player became available I would rethink my position. However what we have now seems disciplined, well drilled and good enough.

Back up defenders aside I would rather we invested whatever budget we get on attack, midfield and keeping Dubravka