Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

We absolutely deserve to be relegated if Bellyiot is playing any games not in an emergency next season.

He's a mere slip of a lad these days. I quite like him to be honest, good distribution and a good communicator - plus his attitude is sound.

Serious question marks over his agility and shot stopping, of course, which is never good.

Think Rafa will get a 'keeper sorted, regardless, but I'm not as worried about that position personally.

We absolutely deserve to be relegated if Bellyiot is playing any games not in an emergency next season.

He's a mere slip of a lad these days. I quite like him to be honest, good distribution and a good communicator - plus his attitude is sound.

Serious question marks over his agility and shot stopping, of course, which is never good.

Think Rafa will get a 'keeper sorted, regardless, but I'm not as worried about that position personally.

His decision making in when to and when not to come off his line has always been my biggest issue with him.

Elliot has actually grown on me recently, he was a welcoming and calming head end of last season when Darlow was making mistakes all over.

Think Rich's 11 is pretty much spot on at this point as our current best 11. I imagine a toss up in the #10 as to Perez, Diame and De Jong. I'm much happier seeing Hayden play next to Shelvey and believe Isaac can develop into a real top player under Rafa.

Elliot; Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Dummett; Hayden, Shelvey; Ritchie, Diame, Murphy; Gayle

Is this our current best XI?

Yeah. We're shit looking at that. I do have faith in Rafa to make sure we are more competetive in games. Can't see us getting battered often and think we will be in touching distance in most games.

Elliot; Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Dummett; Hayden, Shelvey; Ritchie, Diame, Murphy; Gayle

Is this our current best XI?

we've got problems :lol:

If that's our best 11 come Sept 1st then I really can't see us staying up

Now entering the final year of his six year contract, Newcastle defender Curtis Good is reportedly set to link up with Dutch side PEC Zwolle on trial.

thoughts?

Good riddance ya flamin gallah.

Tim Krul is only 29 but has no future here after being so highly rated for most of his career, yet even out on loan his career has gone downhill. Says a lot about how players coast on their reputation here at Newcastle, and why we have trouble shifting them once we realise we overpaid them in the first place.

Tim Krul is only 29 but has no future here after being so highly rated for most of his career, yet even out on loan his career has gone downhill. Says a lot about how players coast on their reputation here at Newcastle, and why we have trouble shifting them once we realise we overpaid them in the first place.

Krul has had a bunch of injuries in his career. His last solid season was maybe 3 years ago.

I'm not sure how I feel about this team. Being solid can get you a long way in this league. But i'm not convinced by any area of the team.

Kenedy coming in looks a shrewd move given the number of positions he can operate in. Does it impact on Gamez and/or Aarons in any way, do people think?

Been very little on a potential loan for Aarons and he has impressed in pre-season (yet again).

Gamez seems to be one we'd sell if we got a reasonable offer in for.

Think we've still got massive holes up front (2, arguably), at number ten and in goal. Otherwise it's starting to come together.

Kenedy coming in looks a shrewd move given the number of positions he can operate in. Does it impact on Gamez and/or Aarons in any way, do people think?

Been very little on a potential loan for Aarons and he has impressed in pre-season (yet again).

Think we've still got massive holes up front (2, arguably), at number ten and in goal. Otherwise it's starting to come together.

Think he'll be kept and used as a wildcard sub if he can stay fit. If we're not doing shite by Jan then maybe send to Champioship.

Think he'll be kept and used as a wildcard sub if he can stay fit. If we're not doing shite by Jan then maybe send to Champioship.

:thup:

I'm liking our depth out wide, though none of them are really Prem proven (even Ritchie was fair-to-middling in his season).

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

Aarons, Rolando*

Clark, Ciaran*

Colback, Jack Raymond*

Darlow, Karl*

Diame, Mohamed

Dummett, Paul*

Elliot, Robert*

Gamez Duarte, Jesus

Gayle, Dwight Devon Boyd*

Gutierrez, Ayoze Perez

Haidara, Massadio

Hayden, Isaac Scot*

Lascelles, Jamaal*

Lejeune, Florian Gregoire Claude

Manquillo Gaitan, Javier

Mato Sanmartin, Jose Luis

Mbemba, Chancel Mangulu

Mitrovic, Aleksander

Murphy, Jacob Kai*

Ritchie, Matthew Thomas*

Saivet, Henri

Shelvey, Jonjo*

Sterry, Jamie Michael*

Twasam, Christian Atsu

Yedlin, Deandre

https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277

25 Squad players (*=Home grown)

Aarons, Rolando*

Clark, Ciaran*

Colback, Jack Raymond*

Darlow, Karl*

Diame, Mohamed

Dummett, Paul*

Elliot, Robert*

Gamez Duarte, Jesus

Gayle, Dwight Devon Boyd*

Gutierrez, Ayoze Perez

Haidara, Massadio

Hayden, Isaac Scot*

Lascelles, Jamaal*

Lejeune, Florian Gregoire Claude

Manquillo Gaitan, Javier

Mato Sanmartin, Jose Luis

Mbemba, Chancel Mangulu

Mitrovic, Aleksander

Murphy, Jacob Kai*

Ritchie, Matthew Thomas*

Saivet, Henri

Shelvey, Jonjo*

Sterry, Jamie Michael*

Twasam, Christian Atsu

Yedlin, Deandre

Great cheers, I thought it would be today.  Maybe we'll see Haidara back for Swansea