Alan Shearer

Weznufc

I'm saying all of this and England nearly got that team to the final. Never mind I don't know what I'm talking about

Just recall getting mad at Beckham for hopping Before Brazil broke and leveled.

I always thought that was a bit harsh on Beckham, a lot happened between that and the equaliser. I was more angry that we did literally nowt to trouble the 10 men. Was so deflated after that, we'd have almost certainly won the cup if we beat Brazil.

Sinclair was decent. Mills was Gary Neville's replacement. Not a great one but not a terrible player either.

I wasn't a Sinclair fan, not least because he threw his toys out of the pram when not selected originally, but he came into the squad when someone had to pull out, may have been Gerrard? I'd have played Dyer personally ahead of him.

Sinclair was decent. Mills was Gary Neville's replacement. Not a great one but not a terrible player either.

I wasn't a Sinclair fan, not least because he threw his toys out of the pram when not selected originally, but he came into the squad when someone had to pull out, may have been Gerrard? I'd have played Dyer personally ahead of him.

Danni Mer-fee.

Danni Mer-fee.

Aye, another who shouldn't have been near the squad.

True. Dyer pissed all over him. Though he'd been injured badly on the last day on the season against Southampton courtesy of El Khalej's horror challenge.

Aye, absolute shocker. Still he made the finals, though Sven wouldn't start him.

Guest firetotheworks

I always just rightly or wrongly assumed that it was because he thought that it would be canny shan to retire from international football and then go back just because there was a World Cup on. It's like being a fairweather player I suppose, but it probably doesn't work like that in real life.

Christ, Dyer was absolutely class. Could have been a top, top player. Tragic really. Imagine Owen and Shearer with Dyer behind.

Should've been Scholes behind and Dyer in a 3-man midfield.

Mills was the only right back in the squad too, so even though I wasn't a fan of him at all, he had to play.

Thought he was a pussy for moving his head out of the way for Sweeden's goal personally.

He was, but with Gary Neville injured, who else was there? Luke Young had a go there, he was average at best. Phil Neville was well Phil Neville. We were bereft there like we were wide left.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mills had a canny tournament I thought. That was our time to win a WC, but we didn't and it all went down hill after that for Sven and that so-called golden generation. Shearer there might of helped England as he had come off the back of a great season, was bang in form, and of course a leader and an experienced head.

Mills had a canny tournament I thought. That was our time to win a WC, but we didn't and it all went down hill after that for Sven and that so-called golden generation. Shearer there might of helped England as he had come off the back of a great season, was bang in form, and of course a leader and an experienced head.

He was as he was. Average. But once again, he had no competition for his place. He was the only right back in the squad. They could've gone down the wing back route and perhaps they should have. They had two world class centre backs plus a very good one in Keown to make a back 3. They could've then played Ashley Cole and Dyer as wing backs. Might've helped but Sven was far too rigid as a coach to change .

He was as he was. Average. But once again, he had no competition for his place. He was the only right back in the squad. They could've gone down the wing back route and perhaps they should have. They had two world class centre backs plus a very good one in Keown to make a back 3. They could've then played Ashley Cole and Dyer as wing backs. Might've helped but Sven was far too rigid as a coach to change .

English players are in the main to thick and unadaptable to play 3-5-2 given they'll have all played in a back 4 all their lives.

Thought England should have made a greater run at the 98 final to be honest. Thought Sol had it too :-(

There were still 3/4 better teams at that World Cup imo. (Holland, France & Brazil anyway), of the other 3 teams in the Semis in Japan & South Korea that we could have played, I think England were better than all of them.

Yeah fair. That 98 Argie team fucking pissed me off. I used to lose my mind over the striker talent of 96 and 98 team and then further wondered how England would have fared (and football) if the tourneys were say in 95 or 97 and different years. Just thinking about injuries and form and such.

English players are in the main to thick and unadaptable to play 3-5-2 given they'll have all played in a back 4 all their lives.

And yet it's how we had such a good Italia 90 campaign.

• 2 weeks later...