Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

I think we all know how drastically different his popularity would be on here if he wasn't a local lad from the academy. Fortunately I think he's won most of the sensible crew over as a solid defender with potential.

He was terrible as a fullback for us, coincidentally that was when he was getting the most stick. He really came into his own at CB and rightfully won plaudits. We all want academy products to do well, I'm not sure who doesn't. But it's upto the player himself to 'win' fans over through performances and showing potential. I still wouldn't employ him at fullback. I think he can truly make the CB position his own. Maybe bulk up a bit, as well.

Everybody hates young English players from our youth system, I mean, just look at Rolando Aarons' thread. Not to mention the widespread celebrations when Carroll was sold.

Not sure why anybody brings up this shite about people disliking/denigrating academy players. It's genuinely utter nonsense. People judge players on their merits and faults as they see them.

Everybody hates young English players from our youth system, I mean, just look at Rolando Aarons' thread. Not to mention the widespread celebrations when Carroll was sold.

Not sure why anybody brings up this s**** about people disliking/denigrating academy players. It's genuinely utter nonsense. People judge players on their merits and faults as they see them.

Aye they'll get credit when they do very well, but if they have a couple of iffy games they'll be written off (you yourself aren't too kind about Aarons in the first page of his thread  ;) )

Obviously not everyone does this, but there are plenty of people I've seen who'll write off Armstrong and Dummett but wheel out every excuse under the sun for a player like Marveaux (not even a player with a successful track record!)

Rolando's an extremely talented player and already by far our best winger and Carroll scored 30 goals in the year before we sold him. Silly examples.

Well exactly. And Dummett is a reasonable defender who does the basics well but will never pull up any trees. As most on here would agree. The idea that there's inherent bias at play towards or against academy players is nonsense.

Well I'd say he doesn't have the technical or raw physical attributes to be a worldbeater whether he was was 23 or 29. But he has enough about him to be a reasonable defender who will probably get better as he gains experience of the position(s). Not writing anybody off but judging a player as you see them.

Like any true Englishman I just couldn't take him when he turned his back on the hardworking taxpayers of this country, the one he was born and raised in, and declared for Wales. He relinquished his nationality and became foreign to me at that moment...and I still think he's mega ordinary.

Not sure why anybody brings up this s**** about people disliking/denigrating academy players. It's genuinely utter nonsense. People judge players on their merits and faults as they see them.

Aye they'll get credit when they do very well, but if they have a couple of iffy games they'll be written off (you yourself aren't too kind about Aarons in the first page of his thread  ;) )

Obviously not everyone does this, but there are plenty of people I've seen who'll write off Armstrong and Dummett but wheel out every excuse under the sun for a player like Marveaux (not even a player with a successful track record!)

:lol:

I'm sorry, I still don't get the hype. I want him to do well and flourish, but why he was getting thrown into the mix over and over again by Pardew was something that truly baffled me. Needs to do a Chopra and kill it on loan in the first division, and then come back for a proper crack at the top tier.

Love nothing more than seeing an academy product/local lad succeed in the first team, but am yet to see anything from Dummett to suggest he could develop into an above bang-average defender. As has been noted though, age is on his side. Huge season for him.

Bang average would be a huge improvement on what we've got starting on Sunday like.

It's exactly this. We've had an absolute mountain of shit at CB going back to when Woodgate left. Since our current crop of favoured CBs made their debuts for us it's no coincidence there's never been any serious bids for any one of them, which is the only reason they're still here. An average 23-year-old defender frankly represents a very good option in our context.

At 33 year old CB is better at reading the game than a 23 year old with less than a dozen appearances in that position. More ingenious TRon insight to follow.

Well we can pick Dummett when he's 33 then, Colo will definitely have retired by then. At the moment Dummett's a good utility player and can do a job as either left back or cb as a temporary fill in. Unlike many on here, I've never really slagged Dummett, just don't think he's good enough in either position to justify hanging your hat on for for a full season.

I agree, he's solid, probably a level above Willo because he can pass the ball reasonably well. He is a good back up centre half or left back, we shouldn't be complaining. He is still only young so with experience will improve.