Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Hold my hands up to what? I still don't think he's very good, he's played well and he's in good form, I dunno why that means I have to accept that this is who he is now, when I can tell who he is from the way that he plays even when he's playing well.

As if you're talking about people holding their hands up. :lol: You genuinely never ever do that.

I have.

Hold my hands up to what? I still don't think he's very good, he's played well and he's in good form, I dunno why that means I have to accept that this is who he is now, when I can tell who he is from the way that he plays even when he's playing well.

As if you're talking about people holding their hands up. :lol: You genuinely never ever do that.

I have.

Nah, you just won't go the player's thread until he has a bad game again.

Y'know how people were rightly embarrassed about the whole mentioning of Beckham in the Ryan Taylor debate?

Yesterday someone mentioned that the reason we'd been doing so well was because of Janmaat and Dummett and described them both as 'excellent players'

I said that it was over the top and although Dummett had done a job admirably well, he's still a defender that hoofs it and a defender that does that when under the slightest bit of pressure can never really be described as excellent.

The guy brought up a comparison to back up the idea that excellent players hoof it...you ready?...Carlos Puyol. :spit:

This happens me a lot too. This is a very reasonable post and I agree Dummett is not an excellent player, he has played well at centre half for us though and I also think the guy comparing his hoofing to Puyol is funny. However since this very fair opinion people are jumping on KI thinking that he said Dummett was shit when he said nothing of the sort.

Similarly I have a post where I say Samaras isn't an utterly shit footballer and all of a sudden people think my opinion is that Samaras is some kind of great footballer when he clearly isn't.

Steven Taylor looked incredibly comfortable at CB when we had our run at the beginning of 2011/2012. In fact baring Chelsea and QPR Ryan "David Beckham" Taylor looked comfortable at LB.

It's the product of a stable defence. Not that I have any real opinion on Dummett like, I just know that when we finally crumble and start conceding 3 a game again he'll be lynched.

Saylor is a capable defender on his day but i've seen him have many a 'mare at CB. Limited appearances aye but Dummett has only ever looked a competent CB.

Ryan Taylor was absolutely woeful the first few games at LB. QPR in particular - and he had Jonas covering for him.

I've little time for Dummett the fullback but medium-term i'd like to see him have a decent run in the side.

KI - I don't know what you're talking about. You dislike how I write but it is a fact Paul Dummett has only ever looked a solid CB for us. Excellent player is obviously excessive but you can be a very good PL CB and be pretty limited on the ball.

Saylor is a good defender except when he has those "doh" moments of his, it is mainly his stupid mistakes (that happen 1 in 3) that stop him from being a real quality player.

Dummet looks more comfortable in central defence than at fullback and add to this that haidara is doing so well, my first central pairing would be Colo and dummet, with stevie close behind...

Steven Taylor looked incredibly comfortable at CB when we had our run at the beginning of 2011/2012. In fact baring Chelsea and QPR Ryan "David Beckham" Taylor looked comfortable at LB.

It's the product of a stable defence. Not that I have any real opinion on Dummett like, I just know that when we finally crumble and start conceding 3 a game again he'll be lynched.

Saylor is a capable defender on his day but i've seen him have many a 'mare at CB. Limited appearances aye but Dummett has only ever looked a competent CB.

Ryan Taylor was absolutely woeful the first few games at LB. QPR in particular - and he had Jonas covering for him.

I've little time for Dummett the fullback but medium-term i'd like to see him have a decent run in the side.

KI - I don't know what you're talking about. You dislike how I write but it is a fact Paul Dummett has only ever looked a solid CB for us. Excellent player is obviously excessive but you can be a very good PL CB and be pretty limited on the ball.

Saylor is a good defender except when he has those "doh" moments of his, it is mainly his stupid mistakes (that happen 1 in 3) that stop him from being a real quality player.

Dummet looks more comfortable in central defence than at fullback and add to this that haidara is doing so well, my first central pairing would be Colo and dummet, with stevie close behind...

Agreed. A left footer at left centre half is always a huge plus as well.

Given the way he was dominated by Fletcher in the derby (and the fact he hasn't got any taller since then) and isn't the quickest in the world, I'm rather worried about him dealing with Carroll (and Sakho or Valencia, if fit) at the weekend.

Guest firetotheworks

Is it? Ah alright then, I stand corrected, didn't realise it was an irrefutable fact.  :rolleyes: You created an argument out of me saying that he's neither excellent nor Carlos Puyol. Someone saying that something isn't black, doesn't automatically mean that they think it's white.

Given the way he was dominated by Fletcher in the derby (and the fact he hasn't got any taller since then) and isn't the quickest in the world, I'm rather worried about him dealing with Carroll (and Sakho or Valencia, if fit) at the weekend.

Aerially while not the biggest he attacks the ball very well. I don't think Fistpumps or Colo are any better in the air.

A defender that's good at defending is something that should be praised, not written off as limited. He's an excellent 'penalty box' defender at this stage and appears to be very good at tackling, heading and clearing away balls into our box. Where he isn't as good is dealing with situations around 25/30 yards from goal, where clever strikers back in, come deep and move wide. This will only get better with experience so to say he's peaked is pretty ridiculous, especially for a position like Centre Back, where a great deal of the skills learned are mental.

He has the instincts of a defender though, personally I never saw that from Yanga-Mbiwa. By that I mean the ability to see danger and take action to prevent it.

He has the instincts of a defender though, personally I never saw that from Yanga-Mbiwa. By that I mean the ability to see danger and take action to prevent it.

Ah but he's doing it for Roma & France. Just ignore everything you've seen with your two eyes.

I will say MYM looked like a world-beater for 20 minutes against Bayern that first game.

Literally the worst thing I've seen written about MYM tbh

I'll explain my reasonning then.

MYM as a footballer and defender has a great deal of talent, that much is clear. Put him in a one on one situation where someone runs at him, he has the pace and judgement to come away with the ball and pass/play his way out.

Where I think he struggled / struggles is dealing with situations inside the penalty area, letting his man go a yard or two, or making poor decisions whether to come across / hold his position.

Personally I think he's a pretty unique defender and would be ideally suited to a Barcelona/Bayern type of posession football where the defending involves more of the former than the latter.

Really reluctant to bite on this, but are people genuinely suggesting that Paul Dummett is a better centre half than MYM?

No. But purely looking at performances as a CB at NUFC - Dummett's 3 games at CB are as impressive as any 3 from MYM. And that's without having the shockers in memory.

Defensively speaking Dummett is looking like Mr. Fundamentals.

Literally the worst thing I've seen written about MYM tbh

I'll explain my reasonning then.

MYM as a footballer and defender has a great deal of talent, that much is clear. Put him in a one on one situation where someone runs at him, he has the pace and judgement to come away with the ball and pass/play his way out.

Where I think he struggled / struggles is dealing with situations inside the penalty area, letting his man go a yard or two, or making poor decisions whether to come across / hold his position.

Personally I think he's a pretty unique defender and would be ideally suited to a Barcelona/Bayern type of posession football where the defending involves more of the former than the latter.

I don't think he's unique - at his best he looks like a world beater similar to Mangala or even Luiz. Some of the passes from Mangala yesterday where brilliant. I believe one might've initiated the attack for the penalty. The issue is around sniffing out danger and just the fundamentals of defending. Mangala I think is just adapting to the league and Luiz is just an eccentric human-being.

MYM never really got the chance to adapt as a CB in our division.

A defender that's good at defending is something that should be praised, not written off as limited. He's an excellent 'penalty box' defender at this stage and appears to be very good at tackling, heading and clearing away balls into our box. Where he isn't as good is dealing with situations around 25/30 yards from goal, where clever strikers back in, come deep and move wide. This will only get better with experience so to say he's peaked is pretty ridiculous, especially for a position like Centre Back, where a great deal of the skills learned are mental.

This is exactly it. And people like KI are bright enough to know it, too.

Without talking about his limited ability with a football, which I'm sure even the most stout Dummett fan would admit, can anyone name a "bad" game he's had, or absolutely massive fuck-up he's made directing in a goal against?

I'm coming up with the Sunderland away game, his first league start, where Fletcher bossed him for the opener. That's about it, really.

I said this last season and I'll say it again: there are players who are far more culpable, who are far more experienced, and they get nowhere near the amount of stick that this fella does when things aren't going so well.

KI you are criticising Dummett for the sake of it. You are desperate to criticise him and as such you've gone the hoof angle - which shows how good he's actually been at defending as a CB.

He's always been pretty solid at FB except against Navas who horribly exposed his lack of athleticism. But at CB he's  been very solid. Shown the ability to sniff out danger, puts his body on the line and is very committed without going all Saylor. And he's like a magnet to an aerial ball.

Defensively speaking he's impressed me more than MYM ever did as CB for us during this little run.

:lol: woof