David Squires

joeyt

I think I said this last time, but David Squires has always been political like. Just off the top of my head, the Dead Flag Blues and Poppygate ones came right at the start of his time at the Guardian. I've no idea why he's viewed as having become more political, but it could be because he's (imo) been a bit more inconsistent with how funny his comics are because he nearly always leans on the same sort of jokes and cultural references every time. 

Unpopular opinion alert.

Switched off from these, made the mistake of clicking the link for the latest one. '...forget that Christian Pulisic even existed'. Really? The most talented American kid of the past 20 years, possibly of all time, who signed for Chelsea. Closed tab at that point. Who does he think his audience is, exactly?

Maybe Squires forgot he existed whilst trying to balance the political direction of the newspaper with football whilst dealing with the inconvenient truth that the wealth that built the company that pays him was largely generated from the backs of cotton pickers. I'm sure some of the frames are comedic in isolation, but after he burst onto the scene with a very authentic, purely football-driven approach (which was pretty much universally heralded), it quickly seemed to become yet another propaganda vehicle for the newspaper's larger agenda with football being the setting, rather than the subject.

Thank you for taking on the outrage among us forum Yanks

EaglE more like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...