David Squires

joeyt

He had an anti-capitalism one with an England match alongside just the lyrics from Dead Flag Blues by Godspeed You Black Emperor :lol: It's still one of my favourites of his and even though I disagree with him putting the ethical onus on our fans in that last frame, the overall theme isn't out of keeping with his work at all.

Agree, I was ready to be outraged but I can see what he's doing. It's a point where SA are in the news, therefore a chance for people like him to speak about what they get up to.

Squires can fuck off with that like. No need to show pictures of Keegan, Tino and Milburn celebrating and link them to Saudi human rights violations.

Isn't that the whole point? They will unfortunately become intrinsically linked.

Well, they shouldn’t be. It’s just ridiculous.

That cartoon has actually made me feel sad for the future of the club.

It was only ever the excessive spending that I criticised Chelsea and City for not the source of the money. If people are going to link our past and future with the history (and future?) of a country then whats the point?

It was only ever the excessive spending that I criticised Chelsea and City for not the source of the money. If people are going to link our past and future with the history (and future?) of a country then whats the point?

Chelsea's different, Abramovich is just a man, he may have made his money through unsavoury means but ultimately in the news you only really hear his name mentioned in relation to Chelsea.

I think the danger we face compared to Man City is the prominence of Saudi Arabia in relation to Abu Dhabi, anything they do is a way bigger story. In normal non-Covid times they and MBS, who will effectively be our main owner, are regularly in the news with allegations of funding terror, the war in Yemen etc. Other fans won't hesitate for a second to get our name tarred and over years we'll be linked more and more whether we like it or not.

The whole situation in the PL is sad really, has been for a while. That's what creates the conditions where the only way to compete is to have an owner like this. Just have to decide for ourselves whether we can still bother to watch it.

Saudi Arabia isn't the main problem it's the people and governments that have enabled them since the creation of modern SA, the same applies to Israel. If we hadn't bought the oil, sold them arms and continue to do so it would still be a dusty dry shithole in the middle of the desert. One day it will be returned to the desert the quicker the better, along with most of the middle east.

Guest neesy111

Saudi Arabia isn't the main problem it's the people and governments that have enabled them since the creation of modern SA, the same applies to Israel. If we hadn't bought the oil, sold them arms and continue to do so it would still be a dusty dry shithole in the middle of the desert. One day it will be returned to the desert the quicker the better, along with most of the middle east.

Not sure about that mind, the reason they have a PIF is so they still are relevant after the world goes off oil.

I'm fine with the Saudi trashing. Just not the trashing of our club.

Theres no way there would be this furore had they been buying Man Utd or Liverpool. The nationals would have jumped to their defence much quicker.

I was expecting to be outraged by that, but I think it's mostly fine. He's using the current attention to speak the truth about Saudi Arabia, basically combatting the sportswashing they're trying to do.

I just think he takes it too far in the last panel, asking fans to walk away. I don't think he's trying to blame fans in any way, but that's a step too far for me.

Obviously a very tricky subject, but we need to come to terms with the fact we are going to support our club while also strongly disapproving of things our owners do in other areas. There's no reason for us to defend them.

:thup:

Was mostly a shrug from me. I have no issue with him bringing attention to it. Last panel is a bit daft, but, again, *shrug*. And I don't think it's existence is purely because the nasty southern press hate NUFC and fat geordies.

Squires can bollocks with his holy than thou shit, it doesn't bring anything other than further misery for the sake of being condescending. I don't have to praise the hand that feeds me but I sure as hell don't have to bite it if it's going to make my own life unhappy!

His ghastly little homily at the end is a bit misjudged but I don't think I'd have an issue with the rest if it was a different club like. It lacks his usual subtlety but I wouldn't have expected anything other from the Guardian to be fair

If the premier league rejected them in the grounds that they couldnt pass the fit and proper owners test, it would be a huge embarrassemnt for the saudi prince and his country - but even bigger embarrassment for the UK government. relations between the countries would be really soured and strained.

there is no way this isnt happening.

(New page) Pencil nonce. :lol:

The last frame is outrageous but in terms of him using past NUFC glories mixed with KSA lowlights I think he's missed the target. They're our memories and they will not be tarnished by future custodians, whomever they may be. Future events however... They'll be fair game.

Theres no way there would be this furore had they been buying Man Utd or Liverpool. The nationals would have jumped to their defence much quicker.

What makes you say this?

What makes you say this?

Because the so called bigger clubs have much more sway with the media. We are an easy target in comparison.

The criticism of the Saudi's would still be there but the defence of those clubs would be much bigger.

The whole situation in the PL is sad really, has been for a while. That's what creates the conditions where the only way to compete is to have an owner like this. Just have to decide for ourselves whether we can still bother to watch it.

I'll be watching it, and enjoying it, hopefully as much as the last time we had this sort of ambition. It is a shame that the Premier has been reduced to a competition between a few clubs with the richest owners, but this is how it is now. In a world where everything was equal, we'd be one of the biggest clubs in the world anyway, due to being one of the biggest in the most watched league in the world. We've been robbed of it by Ashley's manipulation and fleecing of our assets, and now we'll finally be back where we belong. Not in the ideal circumstances, it goes without saying, but I won't be spilling any tears over it. We weren't the ones who turned the league into a cash free for all.