David Squires

joeyt

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Love his work but that's deeply unfair, as with a lot of the commentary coming from the moralistic Southern press.

The idea that it is the responsibility of Newcastle fans, committing the crime of wanting to continue to support the club they've always supported, to fight against a foreign power. Utterly nonce-y effort on his part.

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP USING HAVING MORALS AS AN INSULT!!!!!!!!!!!

Love his work but that's deeply unfair, as with a lot of the commentary coming from the moralistic Southern press.

The idea that it is the responsibility of Newcastle fans, committing the crime of wanting to continue to support the club they've always supported, to fight against a foreign power. Utterly nonce-y effort on his part.

Guardian is Manchester-based, isn't it?  Probably both clubs there now collectively shitting themselves.

No. It's based in Kings Cross

Yeah, it'll be specifically because it's Newcastle, not because the world's most notorious Bond villain is buying a premier league club.

And so all newcastle fans should raise up as one and reject the takeover.......oh please.

If the government won't do anything about the Saudi regime, then don't try and guilt trip the newcastle fans.  If some want to boycott then that is their choice but don't try to press gang us.

Funny when we where boycotting Ashley, the media basically shrugged its shoulders, told us to know our place and treated us as an irritation.  Well why should I now pay attention to the same media asking for my support.    My reactions, shrug of the shoulder and I know my place......what can I do about it.....

I'm not saying that Newcastle fans should do that, I'm saying you putting forward the idea that this was published specifically because it's Newcastle, and not because it's one of the most famously evil people in the world, is absolutely ridiculous.

Squires has consistently backed Newcastle fans in boycotting and trying to oust Ashley for years, so your point about the media as a whole doesn't hold weight, particularly as Squires has highlighted Ashley's human rights record many times and no one took issue with it, presumably because Ashley wasn't buying footballer players, which is objectively worse than bombing children's hospitals. :thup:

Guardian is Manchester-based, isn't it?  Probably both clubs there now collectively shitting themselves.

I mean, "moralistic" tends to be a negative adjective. Having morals is obviously a lovely trait if you don't insist everyone else has exactly the same morals.

I mean, "moralistic" tends to be a negative adjective. Having morals is obviously a lovely trait if you don't insist everyone else has exactly the same morals.

I'd probably expect most people to have similar morals when it comes to bombing kids tbh

I'd probably expect most people to have similar morals when it comes to bombing kids tbh

Confident the Newcastle fanbase will continue to be anti child-murder, no matter what Squires et al want to suggest.

Confident the Newcastle fanbase will continue to be anti child-murder, no matter what Squires et al want to suggest.

Well then don't defend their actions in any way by deflecting on other clubs or other countries, or where the journalist is from or who they apparently "support"

Foluwashola[/member] Areet! Long time, no see. Surely your stance is just the same as it was under Ashley, that you support the team not the regime? Why do you think folk are suddenly feeling the need to go out of their way to deflect all this shit rather than just maintain the same stance?

Foluwashola[/member] Areet! Long time, no see. Surely your stance is just the same as it was under Ashley, that you support the team not the regime? Why do you think folk are suddenly feeling the need to go out of their way to deflect all this shit rather than just maintain the same stance?

Areet mate. Think the difference is it feels like, although this may be paranoia, that fans are being criticised for this stance by certain parts of the media. Although there was a lot of internal arguing over whether it was right or wrong to go to matches under Ashley, fans were never criticised nationally for taking either stance.

Its only natural that folk will get defensive when they're being openly criticised for doing little more than supporting a football team. Obviously this shouldn't then go as far as to start actively defending a horrific regime and the two aren't the same. I defended fans time and time again for attending matches under Ashley, despite hating Ashley with a passion. This again is similar, albeit the crimes of Saudi Arabia are significantly worse than Mike Ashley of course.......

Foluwashola[/member] Areet! Long time, no see. Surely your stance is just the same as it was under Ashley, that you support the team not the regime? Why do you think folk are suddenly feeling the need to go out of their way to deflect all this s*** rather than just maintain the same stance?

Areet mate. Think the difference is it feels like, although this may be paranoia, that fans are being criticised for this stance by certain parts of the media. Although there was a lot of internal arguing over whether it was right or wrong to go to matches under Ashley, fans were never criticised nationally for taking either stance.

Its only natural that folk will get defensive when they're being openly criticised for doing little more than supporting a football team. Obviously this shouldn't then go as far as to start actively defending a horrific regime and the two aren't the same. I defended fans time and time again for attending matches under Ashley, despite hating Ashley with a passion. This again is similar, albeit the crimes of Saudi Arabia are significantly worse than Mike Ashley of course.......

:thup: That makes sense and I agree that as usual it's the fans that are wrongly getting it in the neck. We have absolutely no control over this whatsoever and aren't in a position to make any meaningful decision on this in the way that our government and the Premier League are. I suppose I just wish that was the argument being put forward with full acknowledgement of who these people are, rather than an argument that tries to deflect from who these people are.

I don't follow his stuff religiously but it's not like Squires to sign off with an outright statement, as opposed to some kind of satirical quip. Found it pretty unreasonable really, putting the onus on the fans to quit the club at if it's the only reasonable reaction to this.

Nothing to do with an Anti-Newcastle agenda, obviously. Surprised that particular point is getting so much bandwidth on here tbh;  it's obviously nonsense, it should just be ignored. Especially given that it's mostly coming from Twitter.

Anyway, I think between this and Ronay's piece the other day, the Guardian's coverage of all this has been a bit shit. Ah well. It's up to people to come to their own moral position and hopefully there won't be too many dafties behaving in a way that forces people to engage with their daftness.

I don't follow his stuff religiously but it's not like Squires to sign off with an outright statement, as opposed to some kind of satirical quip. Found it pretty unreasonable really, putting the onus on the fans to quit the club at if it's the only reasonable reaction to this.

Nothing to do with an Anti-Newcastle agenda, obviously. Surprised that particular point is getting so much bandwidth on here tbh;  it's obviously nonsense, it should just be ignored. Especially given that it's mostly coming from Twitter.

Anyway, I think between this and Ronay's piece the other day, the Guardian's coverage of all this has been a bit shit. Ah well. It's up to people to come to their own moral position and hopefully their won't be too many dafties behaving in a way that forces people to engage with their daftness.

Can definitely see some pissed up fans chanting about the Saudi's and the press acting like its the entire fan base. The lazy deluded Geordie will be replaced us being a win at any cost team.

Whilst I will never be a Saudi cheerleader, I'm not going to twist myself into moral outrage at something beyond my control.  If it wasn't us it would be someone else so in my view it might as well be us

Squires can fuck off with that like. No need to show pictures of Keegan, Tino and Milburn celebrating and link them to Saudi human rights violations.

Isn't that the whole point? They will unfortunately become intrinsically linked.

Squires can fuck off with that like. No need to show pictures of Keegan, Tino and Milburn celebrating and link them to Saudi human rights violations.

Naa, i can buy that. He's basically showing any famous moments on the pitch will be tarnished going forward (as it would if thy'd been in charge at that time) That is fine by me.

Isn't that the whole point? They will unfortunately become intrinsically linked.

Really? I can understand linking any future heroes to it, ones who will actually be part of the PIF funded new era, but I think it was a low blow to be dragging in champions of the past who have nothing to do with it.

not the first time he's had content of that nature tbf to him like, don't necessarily recall him doing an entire one along those lines aimed at a single club mind...pretty sure the qatar WC is the closest

was a bit of a kick in the feels really, felt he should have gone for the UK gov rather than our memorable moments

I was expecting to be outraged by that, but I think it's mostly fine. He's using the current attention to speak the truth about Saudi Arabia, basically combatting the sportswashing they're trying to do.

I just think he takes it too far in the last panel, asking fans to walk away. I don't think he's trying to blame fans in any way, but that's a step too far for me.

Obviously a very tricky subject, but we need to come to terms with the fact we are going to support our club while also strongly disapproving of things our owners do in other areas. There's no reason for us to defend them.

He had an anti-capitalism one with an England match alongside just the lyrics from Dead Flag Blues by Godspeed You Black Emperor :lol: It's still one of my favourites of his and even though I disagree with him putting the ethical onus on our fans in that last frame, the overall theme isn't out of keeping with his work at all.