Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

Cant believe he’s not in prison like, it’s disgusting.

Hopefully the game will be completely sterilised soon so that players cant tackle or head the ball.

Aye, players should just be allowed throw elbows wherever they want. You must be a fanny if you don't want your nose broken

Hopefully the game will be completely sterilised soon so that players cant tackle or head the ball.

Aye, players should just be allowed throw elbows wherever they want. You must be a fanny if you don't want your nose broken

Stop being a huckle, everyone knows the Ultimate Football Championship is where you want to be. Fuck the Premier League gravy train.

Ironic that this conversation is happening when one of our total legends was famous for having flailing elbows :lol:

Carroll is a big physical lad, he’s also tall and will get a good jump. He’s using his arms and elbows for leverage and to get players out of the way, he’s not intentionally hurting anyone. He’s played like this for his entire career, yet it’s only become a problem since the Burnley game.

If he whacks someone in the face, on purpose or by accident - fine, book him or send him off. But the state of that article man.

When you look at all of the incidents, Carroll never breaks eyes with the ball.  He may know the opposing player is there but there's no intent to injure at all IMO. He's just hellbent on winning the ball and goes in fully committed. The thing that Carroll seems to do more than others, probably because of his superior height, is jump in at an angle and usually from a distance to win a header because he knows he can. He's rarely jumping straight up, a move that requires less balance adjustment and carries less momentum.  He's also a good deal taller than most of the players he's challenging so naturally they're more in line with his arms when he jumps.

I challenge anyone to leap sideways, forwards or backwards at an angle without using their arms for balance. You'll hit the deck almost every time and probably injure yourself.

To ask Carroll to stop doing what he's been doing recently is essentially asking him to stop challenging for so many headers - he might as well jack football in now if that's the case.

Players have always picked up head/facial injuries throughout the history of football because it's a physical contact sport where professionals put their bodies on the line. The last thing the new breed of pussy footballers need is more protection FFS, and if we sterilise the game any more than it already has been it won't be worth watching any more. We might as well watch netball.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sorry like, but not elbowing people in the face isn't sterilising the game, [emoji38] Not elbowing people in the face has always been a rule while I've been watching it. Literally nothing has changed on that front.

I'm sorry like, but not elbowing people in the face isn't sterilising the game, [emoji38] Not elbowing people in the face has always been a rule while I've been watching it. Literally nothing has changed on that front.

I'm not saying elbowing people in the face should be allowed but that Daily Mail article makes out that Carroll is doing it deliberately and that he's totally irresponsible. Bollocks! He's not doing it deliberately, he's doing his job. How quickly do you think he'd be dropped by his manager if he stopped challenging for headers?

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not saying elbowing people in the face should be allowed but that Daily Mail article makes out that Carroll is doing it deliberately and that he's totally irresponsible. Bollocks! He's not doing it deliberately, he's doing his job. How quickly do you think he'd be dropped by his manager if he stopped challenging for headers?

Well yeah, that Daily Mail article's something else though. Whether he's doing it deliberately or not though (I don't think he is) he needs to stop flailing his elbows around and going in forcefully at head height. Carroll's always been aggressive in the air, but he's overdone it recently. He doesn't need to stop his way of playing at all, he just needs to go back to not elbowing people in the face. [emoji38]

Guest firetotheworks

To be honest, I find myself disagreeing with anything that suggests the game should become less physical, regardless of which player is being targeted

Less than elbowing people in the face? [emoji38]

To be honest, I find myself disagreeing with anything that suggests the game should become less physical, regardless of which player is being targeted

Less than elbowing people in the face? [emoji38]

We've already established that it's not deliberate, right? IMO you take that level of commitment out of the game and it ceases to be the spectacle it is. 

If Carroll was deliberately running at people with the intention of smashing them in the face, fair enough but he's not - he does it in the process of trying to win the ball. It's no different to catching someone on the ankle with a mis-timed tackle.  Paul Scholes & Steven Gerrard didn't get this much criticism for being persistent reckless tacklers and they were probably more in danger of ruining someone's career than Carroll is.

Guest firetotheworks

That's it though, recently Carroll HAS been being reckless. I don't think there's anything wrong with how he challenges in the air in general, just with how he's gone about it recently.

• 1 year later...

In other circumstances I would have happily seen us bring him back. Loved watching him for that season and a half and have always felt a sadness whenever he's done things in his career since.

Yeah, Bruce doesn't do tactics so could do with a big man to aimlessly lump the ball towards to help relieve the pressure during a 4-0 drubbing. Makes sense when you think of it in those terms.

This season is going to be a laugh a minute.