Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

You only have to look at how the England squad has done without him.

His only hope of going to the world cup is an injury to Berbatov and then maybe he can forge a partnership with Rooney in the league. At the moment he's not even getting league games let alone goals. He has a lot of convincing to do, he has to be playing and scoring regularly. A few goals against Wolfsburg and this debate has opened up again, it's absurd. It's years since he proved his form and fitness. Going to the world cup with excuses ready about match fitness is not something I imagine Capello will accept. He's looking to build a winning team and to date has not considered Owen a part of that. It'll take regular football and regular goals to convince him otherwise, not cameo appearances and a few goals in Europe.

And this is my point. Of course at the moment he shouldn't be going, but say he was scoring regularly in the next 20-25 games. Surely he must be at the very least a serious consideration?

Surely this goes for most players?

It does. I'm just get the feeling that with what's gone on with Owen at Newcastle, people would refuse to see him there regardless.

Well put it this way, on a personal level i won't support a team that contains him. So i really hope he continues his form and doesn't go.

Which is just massively over the top. We wasted money on him being the best argument anyone could have, being moreso the clubs fault rather than him for accepting the huge amounts being offered.

All this massive personal dislike is just a result of some putting way to much expectancy on the guy to single handedly turn around the fortunes of a crap team because of the money he earned, he was never that player in the first place & is a long way off being near the top of the people to blame for our relegation.

The question you have to ask yourself is that it's the 90th minute in the world cup final and the ball drops to one of our strikers on the edge of the six yard box (slightly far fetched I know!  :lol:), but would you honestly, honestly want it to fall to any other English striker than Michael Owen?

I know I wouldnt.

The question you have to ask yourself is that it's the 90th minute in the world cup final and the ball drops to one of our strikers on the edge of the six yard box (slightly far fetched I know!  :lol:), but would you honestly, honestly want it to fall to any other English striker than Michael Owen?

I know I wouldnt.

Ameobi.

Which is just massively over the top. We wasted money on him being the best argument anyone could have, being moreso the clubs fault rather than him for accepting the huge amounts being offered.

All this massive personal dislike is just a result of some putting way to much expectancy on the guy to single handedly turn around the fortunes of a crap team because of the money he earnt, he was never that player in the first place & is a long way off being near the top of the people to blame for our relegation.

I disliked him long before the relegation season, i always felt the club was just a pay cheque to him and that he would see out his contract and fuck off. I wanted him sold a long time ago. I never high expectations of him either, you can't expect a poacher to lead a frontline.

I know I wouldnt.

Defoe, Rooney or Bent.

All this massive personal dislike is just a result of some putting way to much expectancy on the guy to single handedly turn around the fortunes of a crap team because of the money he earned, he was never that player in the first place & is a long way off being near the top of the people to blame for our relegation.

Come on mate, the personal dislike is a combination of his horrific performances last season and the absolutely pitiful way in which he captained the club.

Guest neesy111

Come on mate, the personal dislike is a combination of his horrific performances last season and the absolutely pitiful way in which he captained the club.

also the fact the fact that he apart from the game against wolfsburg done fuck all in a side that is 10x better than our's last season

I know I wouldnt.

Rooney?

Wasn't there a moment just like this v Pompey last season?

Owen has his uses as a sub brought on late when the side need a goal because he still is a good reader of the game and gets into the right positions. As for making the starting line up, god no, he contributes nothing. he's simply not as good as Bent, Defoe, Agbonlahor any more. Capello has no time for strikers like Owen and has never really uses them regularly when he was a club manager.

Rooney, Heskey, Defoe and Crouch are nailed on. I think he might also take Carlton Cole. Of his target men, I'd say Cole has the most all round talent, but his career hasn't developed as quickly as it should have done. If Cole can finally get his act together, he might yet surprise us all and end up as first choice.