Our Worst Manager Under Ashley

ChrisMcQuillan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As much as it pains me to say it, and it really does, Pardew at least managed to get Ben Arfa in his team when he could, despite his apparent lack of team ethic that was supposedly causing dressing room issues behind the scenes (Colo especially taking exception), whereas Bruce never gave him a look in even at Hull fking City.

I do remember pardew once subbing ben arfa on at half time when we were down a few goals, ben arfa nearly dragging us back into the game then pardew singling him out for blame for the loss mind

100%.. TBF I'm trying to compare manure with dogshite, mind.

Man ... Pardew was so rubbish and clueless, and his smarmy, arrogant, condescending manner just made the whole thing completely intolerable. Pretty difficult to top. Especially after that 5th place finish thanks to an outstanding team that he then went on to destroy single handedly.

Steve Bruce is equally rubbish and clueless, but is more of a pathetic figure just trying to blag it and cover his arse, which is pretty annoying too, but don't think it reaches Pardew levels.

It does - as a manager way worse

Managerially I think they are both completely inept, but there is certainly a case to be made that Bruce is even worse.

Think Pardew may have looked a bit better because of that 5th place squad he had a chance to work with. Then again even with that squad Bruce may have well made a complete pigs ear of it too.

As much as it pains me to say it, and it really does, Pardew at least managed to get Ben Arfa in his team when he could, despite his apparent lack of team ethic that was supposedly causing dressing room issues behind the scenes (Colo especially taking exception), whereas Bruce never gave him a look in even at Hull fking City.

Very strong point!

I think I remember an anecdote told about Ginola, where I believe it was Rob Lee that complained to Keegan about Ginola just swanning around in training and not doing anything out of possession in matches. I think Keegan said that his job is to make chances and score goals, and that's what he's measured on. Whereas Rob Lee was measured on how much he ran up and down the pitch and get in the box when in possession. Lee was just told to accept that different players have different standards and different jobs. Rob Lee accepted what Keegan said and just got on with, and the rest was history.

Tried to find the story online but can't seem to find it. Maybe I dreamed it :lol: Point being, special players should have special rules and good managers know that. Whereas Bruce on Ben Arfa: "I hope Hatem takes in what I've had to say to him because his talent is there for all to see. But talent without hard work means you won't live up to your potential. Unfortunately, to play for me you have to know you are playing for the team." It isn't much of a leap to suggest that even prime Ginola wouldn't have got much of a game under Bruce.

Guest chicken little

I think I remember an anecdote told about Ginola, where I believe it was Rob Lee that complained to Keegan about Ginola just swanning around in training and not doing anything out of possession in matches.

I'm sure I heard the same but with Beresford in place of Ginola Lee? I mean the actual truth doesn't matter like, the truth of the matter shines through!

I think I remember an anecdote told about Ginola, where I believe it was Rob Lee that complained to Keegan about Ginola just swanning around in training and not doing anything out of possession in matches. I think Keegan said that his job is to make chances and score goals, and that's what he's measured on. Whereas Rob Lee was measured on how much he ran up and down the pitch and get in the box when in possession. Lee was just told to accept that different players have different standards and different jobs. Rob Lee accepted what Keegan said and just got on with, and the rest was history.

Tried to find the story online but can't seem to find it. Maybe I dreamed it :lol: Point being, special players should have special rules and good managers know that. Whereas Bruce on Ben Arfa: "I hope Hatem takes in what I've had to say to him because his talent is there for all to see. But talent without hard work means you won't live up to your potential. Unfortunately, to play for me you have to know you are playing for the team." It isn't much of a leap to suggest that even prime Ginola wouldn't have got much of a game under Bruce.

Pretty much sums up why Bruce has never, and will never manage at the top level of the game. It's his job as a manager to harness that talent, and coax the work ethic and hard work out of a player. He should know that more than anyone, he played with Cantona and Fergie was a master of it.

Blokes talking out of his arsehole anyway, judging what Geoff Horsfield says about Duggary at Birmingham...

Ben Afra didn't tear-arse round clattering blokes but he wasn't lazy either. He closed people down better than Ginola and Robert combined. I reckon he probably was an arsehole to work with generally but that's where man management comes in and where Pardew and Bruce were found lacking.

I still hate Pardew more than Bruce. Bruce is more a buffoon, a bit like Frank Spencer or Chief Wiggum, whereas Pardew is truly evil, like Josef Stalin or Mark Lawrenson.

Ben Afra didn't tear-arse round clattering blokes but he wasn't lazy either. He closed people down better than Ginola and Robert combined. I reckon he probably was an arsehole to work with generally but that's where man management comes in and where Pardew and Bruce were found lacking.

I still hate Pardew more than Bruce. Bruce is more a buffoon, a bit like Frank Spencer or Chief Wiggum, whereas Pardew is truly evil, like Josef Stalin or Mark Lawrenson.

I'd have him more Uday Hussian - plenty of power, nightclubs, strippers and sex without ever actually doing anything to deserve it.

The last line made me laugh so much man. Thanks :lol:

I think I remember an anecdote told about Ginola, where I believe it was Rob Lee that complained to Keegan about Ginola just swanning around in training and not doing anything out of possession in matches.

I'm sure I heard the same but with Beresford in place of Ginola? I mean the actual truth doesn't matter like, the truth of the matter shines through!

Ah that sounds more familiar, would make sense as Beresford had to do the job of two people out of possession to accomodate him :lol:

Voted Carver and Then Kinnear and Bruce (3rd place) but after yesterday the Vogon wins it, in over 50 years that's the first time I have seen a Manager set up, against lower opposition, to actively not try and win.......fuck him and get outta here

Honestly, Carver should be removed from the list. He was a joke. I can barely remember anything good out of his interim period.

Bruce is just the worse, the football, the personality, the arrogance, the patrionising, the disrespect to the club and the fans, the dinosaur knowledge of the game. An impostor of a Geordie.

Amazed I'm saying this but i can't stand Bruce more than i did Pardew. Purely with the football.

Pardew truly came of the devils arse, Bruce however while an utter arse gravy, fell out of a useless football manager tree and hit cunting branch on the way down.

I just can't put him in the same personal hatred bracket as Pardew.

Pardew was utterly detestable but there were some entertaining performances during his tenure (most of them despite him rather than because of him). The 4-4 against Arsenal springs to mind.

Under Bruce we’ve seen nothing in 18 months and if anything, it’s getting worse. I know Pardew had better players but Bruce could have the Man City first team and we’d still be boring as fuck to watch. He’s No.1 for me now