Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Another defeat for Blyth last night - 2-1 at Darlington. :(

Home to Kiddiminster on Saturday. Very worrying times.

From what I gather whilst Darlington deserved to win, Blyth dug in and were defensively decent (there was nothing they could do to stop the winner is what I've been told). Still very worrying times and looks likely to be a long season ahead at Croft Park.

Would relegation be especially bad for Blyth for reasons other than it just being shit being really shit?

It's a very hard division to get out of. You can have an absolutely storming season which most years would see you up yet as there is only one automatic place- it can easily count for nothing if someone else has a great run as well. Plus the general standard of football and the away ground experience is well below the level of the National North and a lot of places are a bugger to get to on public transport. Blyth as a club should really be able to hold their own in that division, even with a lower budget. Unfortunately they've appointed a guy based on the fact he's well known rather than whether he's any good at managing.

It's not really Clarkie's fault. From what I can gather, the board decided to slash the playing budget by 60%, hence Alun Armstrong and most of the team leaving for Darlington/York. Ex manager Tom Wade was apparently then asked to put together some players from the Northern League, which Spartans brought in and told Lee Clark to get on with it. I imagine they hoped Clarkie could turn dogs muck into gold, but it's not working so far. Relegation is a distinct possibility and some Blyth fans are wondering if this was the aim, all along.

I find it a bit strange that the likes of Gateshead, South Shields, Morpeth, Darlington can attract investment - but Spartans can't?

For all the support for local teams, the attendances most of them get is terrible.

The Northern League is the best supported league in the Country at that level as well.

Big FA Cup game tomorrow at Newcastle Benfield when they play Runcorn in the FA Cup. Sadly Benfields Chairman Jimmy Rowe passed away on Wednesday so it'll be an emotional afternoon. He started the club from scratch in 1988 and it's come on in leaps and bounds in the past 31 years. They've got one of the best grounds in the league, a vibrant clubhouse and Social scene and a thriving Junior section as well. He did so much for grass roots/kids football in the East End of the city and North Tyneside and will be a big miss.

Been following Hanwell Town, they are about 30 minute walk from my flat and closest team. Play in black and white and the nickname is The Geordies. Formed in the 1920s by some men from Newcastle that had come down to London to find work.

Heading along today with a few mates for their FA Cup match.

Watched Benfield lose 3-2 at home to Runcorn today. Despite leading 2-1 at half time they just didn't get going in the 2nd half and Runcorn deserved their win. Crowd given as 370 which looked suspiciously low. Looked more like around 500 but of course the gate money is split in the FA Cup  :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2019/sep/12/non-league-footballer-scores-spectacular-goal-from-inside-own-half-video

Also...Senior Cup Draw has been made.

Round One

Heaton Stannington v Blyth Spartans

Bedlington Terriers v Ashington

Whitley Bay v Newcastle University

Games played week preceding Saturday 26th October 2019.

Quarter Final draw:

North Shields v West Allotment Celtic

Newcastle Benfield v Newcastle United reserves

Bedlington Terriers or Ashington v Heaton Stannington or Blyth Spartans

Morpeth Town v Whitley Bay or Newcastle University

I wrote an article about my trip to Hanwell Town for True Faith. http://www.true-faith.co.uk/following-the-geordies-in-the-fa-cup/

Following The Geordies in the FA Cup

This summer I finally decided to cancel my season ticket. A wonderful seat in the East Stand, near the halfway line. Brilliant view. But I’d had enough. My Dad had given up a few years ago. 140 loyalty points down the drain. This version of Newcastle United wasn’t worth the sacrifice anymore. This decision is a lot easier when you now live over 300 miles away in London.

A few weeks ago I started thinking it would be nice to get along to a non-league game, I’ve always enjoyed the odd non league game when living in the north east but hadn’t really considered it since I’ve been in London. It was one evening after work, an internet search and I discovered the closest non-league team to where I live in Ealing is Hanwell Town FC of the Isthmian League South Central Division, and they play just about a mile up the road rather than in Hanwell.

It was time to look a little closer, first I see they play in black and white stripes – a coincidence surely and then I read their nickname is “The Geordies” – I was intrigued. It turns out that Hanwell Town were formed in the 1920s but a group from Newcastle that were working in Hanwell area and decided to set up a team, of course they adopted the famous black and white of Newcastle United, one of the best teams in the land in the early 1900s. As someone that was born and grew up in Newcastle but now finds themselves in London due to work it was a no brainer – I had to get a long to a Hanwell Town game and keep an eye on their results.

Hanwell had made an undefeated start to the season, and checking the fixtures were at home in FA Cup First Qualifying Round action against Staines Town. A text to a friend, who also lives in Ealing now but grew up in Newcastle followed and we were all set. Meet at 2pm on Saturday and we’ll head up for the game.

It turned out to be an FA Cup classic – it was 8 quid to get in, and a few more for a programme and a raffle ticket. We enjoyed a few pints in the clubhouse while watching the game from a prime view from the club house terrace, a scaffold platform with astroturf and if you get the right spot – a brilliant view of the pitch.

Hanwell started brightly and were ahead within just two minutes, when the Staines ‘keeper, the highly rated (according to the match day programme) Denzel Gerrar dropped the ball into his own net trying to catch a looping header towards goal- he protested he was fouled but it didn’t look like there was anyone near him – a great start for Hanwell.

There was only 10 minutes gone when Staines made their first team foray forward amd Hanwell centre back was turned and pulled back the Staines attacked as he advanced on goal, just outside the box and referee George Warren brandished a red card for Harry Tucker. It seemed a little harsh, but probably the right decision – but I’d like to see it again. As Tucker left the pitch he was heckled in typical non league style about his tan and then couldn’t get back into the changing rooms as they were locked!

Hanwell reshuffled and did well with 10 men and were soon 2 up, Andy O’Brien with a header. They play in black and white, they are known as the Geordies and now O’Brien has scored! For a Newcastle United fan, you really couldn’t make it up – who put the ball in the mackems net? I am in west London aren’t I?

Staines were soon back in it, Che Krabbendam with a wonder strike into the top corner from 25 yards. Unstoppable. Another couple of pints in I need the toilet, head into the clubhouse to find Alan Shearer guarding the men’s toilets! Not literally – obviously – but a framed signed shirt on the wall – it was great to see but perhaps should be moved into the bar!

As expected, 10-man Hanwell tired in the second half and Staines started to get on top and made it 2-2 from the spot, it was at the other end of the pitch but it looked very soft from where I was standing, Krabbendam tucking away his second of the game. As the game went on the talk on the terrace turned to what happens if it’s a draw – would it be penalties? Extra time? A replay? Nobody was quite sure – a replay on Tuesday seemed to be agreed scenario in the event of a draw but nobody was certain.

It didn’t matter in the end. With only a few minutes left of the 90, substitute Rob Laney turned in the box and was brought down, penalty to Hanwell! Laney stepped up, a chance to win it and send Hanwell into the next round, but its saved by Gerrar! It looks like Hanwell will have to settle for a draw and a replay (or extra time or penalties we’re still not sure) but in added time, Krabbendam, the best play on the pitch, waltzed through the Hanwell defence and slotted him another stunning solo goal to win it for Staines! The 20 odd travelling away fans behind that goal went wild as Krabbendam was booked for taking off his shirt as he celebrated the winner.

What a game! Not the result I wanted, and I’m sure Hanwell would have won this comfortably had they not been down to 10 so early in the game but it was a great game of football – a special mention must go to the Hanwell steward – manning the entrance to the car park as we arrived, he then guarded the tunnel as the players came onto the pitch, at one point was in the Bob Fisher Stand behind the goal cheering on Hanwell and then was back by the tunnel as the teams left the pitch to remind the referee his performance will be assessed by the FA! More importantly, this was a great afternoon of football, with lots of passion, desire and entertainment and you can have a beer – I was born a Newcastle United supporter and I always will be – but I’ll certainly be back following The Geordies in west London again.

I wrote an article about my trip to Hanwell Town for True Faith. http://www.true-faith.co.uk/following-the-geordies-in-the-fa-cup/

Following The Geordies in the FA Cup

This summer I finally decided to cancel my season ticket. A wonderful seat in the East Stand, near the halfway line. Brilliant view. But I’d had enough. My Dad had given up a few years ago. 140 loyalty points down the drain. This version of Newcastle United wasn’t worth the sacrifice anymore. This decision is a lot easier when you now live over 300 miles away in London.

A few weeks ago I started thinking it would be nice to get along to a non-league game, I’ve always enjoyed the odd non league game when living in the north east but hadn’t really considered it since I’ve been in London. It was one evening after work, an internet search and I discovered the closest non-league team to where I live in Ealing is Hanwell Town FC of the Isthmian League South Central Division, and they play just about a mile up the road rather than in Hanwell.

It was time to look a little closer, first I see they play in black and white stripes – a coincidence surely and then I read their nickname is “The Geordies” – I was intrigued. It turns out that Hanwell Town were formed in the 1920s but a group from Newcastle that were working in Hanwell area and decided to set up a team, of course they adopted the famous black and white of Newcastle United, one of the best teams in the land in the early 1900s. As someone that was born and grew up in Newcastle but now finds themselves in London due to work it was a no brainer – I had to get a long to a Hanwell Town game and keep an eye on their results.

Hanwell had made an undefeated start to the season, and checking the fixtures were at home in FA Cup First Qualifying Round action against Staines Town. A text to a friend, who also lives in Ealing now but grew up in Newcastle followed and we were all set. Meet at 2pm on Saturday and we’ll head up for the game.

It turned out to be an FA Cup classic – it was 8 quid to get in, and a few more for a programme and a raffle ticket. We enjoyed a few pints in the clubhouse while watching the game from a prime view from the club house terrace, a scaffold platform with astroturf and if you get the right spot – a brilliant view of the pitch.

Hanwell started brightly and were ahead within just two minutes, when the Staines ‘keeper, the highly rated (according to the match day programme) Denzel Gerrar dropped the ball into his own net trying to catch a looping header towards goal- he protested he was fouled but it didn’t look like there was anyone near him – a great start for Hanwell.

There was only 10 minutes gone when Staines made their first team foray forward amd Hanwell centre back was turned and pulled back the Staines attacked as he advanced on goal, just outside the box and referee George Warren brandished a red card for Harry Tucker. It seemed a little harsh, but probably the right decision – but I’d like to see it again. As Tucker left the pitch he was heckled in typical non league style about his tan and then couldn’t get back into the changing rooms as they were locked!

Hanwell reshuffled and did well with 10 men and were soon 2 up, Andy O’Brien with a header. They play in black and white, they are known as the Geordies and now O’Brien has scored! For a Newcastle United fan, you really couldn’t make it up – who put the ball in the mackems net? I am in west London aren’t I?

Staines were soon back in it, Che Krabbendam with a wonder strike into the top corner from 25 yards. Unstoppable. Another couple of pints in I need the toilet, head into the clubhouse to find Alan Shearer guarding the men’s toilets! Not literally – obviously – but a framed signed shirt on the wall – it was great to see but perhaps should be moved into the bar!

As expected, 10-man Hanwell tired in the second half and Staines started to get on top and made it 2-2 from the spot, it was at the other end of the pitch but it looked very soft from where I was standing, Krabbendam tucking away his second of the game. As the game went on the talk on the terrace turned to what happens if it’s a draw – would it be penalties? Extra time? A replay? Nobody was quite sure – a replay on Tuesday seemed to be agreed scenario in the event of a draw but nobody was certain.

It didn’t matter in the end. With only a few minutes left of the 90, substitute Rob Laney turned in the box and was brought down, penalty to Hanwell! Laney stepped up, a chance to win it and send Hanwell into the next round, but its saved by Gerrar! It looks like Hanwell will have to settle for a draw and a replay (or extra time or penalties we’re still not sure) but in added time, Krabbendam, the best play on the pitch, waltzed through the Hanwell defence and slotted him another stunning solo goal to win it for Staines! The 20 odd travelling away fans behind that goal went wild as Krabbendam was booked for taking off his shirt as he celebrated the winner.

What a game! Not the result I wanted, and I’m sure Hanwell would have won this comfortably had they not been down to 10 so early in the game but it was a great game of football – a special mention must go to the Hanwell steward – manning the entrance to the car park as we arrived, he then guarded the tunnel as the players came onto the pitch, at one point was in the Bob Fisher Stand behind the goal cheering on Hanwell and then was back by the tunnel as the teams left the pitch to remind the referee his performance will be assessed by the FA! More importantly, this was a great afternoon of football, with lots of passion, desire and entertainment and you can have a beer – I was born a Newcastle United supporter and I always will be – but I’ll certainly be back following The Geordies in west London again.

An excellent piece mate, well written. Been to Hanwell once (as I was a student down in London), a decent ground with some great people.