Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

Am I the only one who thinks that these "Fair Play" financial rules that UEFA is supposedly introducing will amount to absolutely nothing? I predict no significant change to the landscape of top flight European football other than further corruption and inequality. You cannot stop money with rules.

Am I the only one who thinks that these "Fair Play" financial rules that UEFA is supposedly introducing will amount to absolutely nothing? I predict no significant change to the landscape of top flight European football other than further corruption and inequality. You cannot stop money with rules.

I'm confident that clubs will continue to completely ignore it and do whatever they want until UEFA actually put their foot down and ban somebody significant (i.e. not FC Random from Lichtenstein) from Europe.

So basically forever then.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Platini's got guts and the force of personality to do this, but it would take a huge and prolonged effort from him so I'm not holding my breath. 

Maybe he'll go after city though, since it will be much easier politically to demonize new money Middle Easterners than it would be, say, Berlusconi or Real/Barca.

I'm hopeful, but not completely confident. There are bound to be grey areas and room for interpretation, and the test will come if and when a club threatens to challenge a decision in the courts. Institutions such as UEFA don't usually have as much stomach for the fight as an entrepreneur like Abramovich.

An example I can think of is when West Ham were caught out in breach of the rules over the Tevez transfer, but got a large fine rather than relegation, which would be the usual punishment. I think the FA didn't fancy getting embroiled in the courts and chose the punishment that West Ham would find acceptable.

Guest schmuck

Isn't the Hodgson thing because Di Matteo is on gardening leave and technically still holds the title of manager?

Nope. It's a massive red herring IMO.

Decent excuse for not spening any money at this stage though.

Isn't the Hodgson thing because Di Matteo is on gardening leave and technically still holds the title of manager?

Di Matteo was never "manager" either.

He is now a gardner.

with those two new officials used near the goals, is the 4th official still the 4th official, or is he the 6th official?

Fourth official is still the same- now it's referee, two assistant referees, a four official and two additional assistant referees.

Guest Roger Kint

Why did Keane and Scholes receive Champions League winners medals when they were suspended from the final?

same as league I suppose played enough games during the cl that year to get them

Did someone not give theirs to the two of them as they were non playing subs on the day of the final? IIRC its only the matchday squad who get medals.

Am I the only person who didn't know that when someone takes a penalty that player cannot play the ball a 2nd time unless it has touched someone else ?

I thought that was obvious?!

Remember the Henry/Pires penalty shambles a while back?