Isaac Hayden: on loan at QPR

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was good yesterday, he seemed to be everywhere picking up loose balls in midfield and pressing quickly.  I'm not really one for using stats but i thought i'd try and find some to try and back up what i'm saying as i had a few drinks before the match so my opinion could've been blurred.

Pass completion - 79% (43 passes)

Key passes - 2

Long passes - 0

Dribbles - 0

Tackles - 2

Interceptions - 2

Clearances - 5

Disposessed - 1

Shots - 1

He's quite a limited player but i think his mobility and defensive insticts are important to us at the minute, especially when Shelvey is in the team.

I'm not sure I've seen him attempt a pass over 15-20 yards either. I know we've got Shelvey & Merino for creativity but should be expecting more imo.

I disagree, he's probably the only out and out defensive midfielder in the line up, if we aren't creating much, probably need to look at what the others are bringing to the table. Atsu and Ritchie should be the main providers, and you'd want more from the full backs as well.

He isn't an out and out defensive midfielder though. He runs forward a lot leaving us exposed on the counter

If he's doing that, then he'll be dropped pretty sharpish, Rafa doesn't tolerate players who don't stick to the team shape.

Guest neesy111

He's another player who would be fine if we weren't so creatively bereft elsewhere.

So where are creatively bereft? I keep hearing that our midfielders are playing fine but as a unit I see them creating a shocking lack of chances.

I like Hayden and I think he'll improve but I'm not sure what sort of centre-midfielder he's supposed to be yet; he seems a bit of a jack-of-all/master-of-none type without any attributes that especially stand out.

He isn't an out and out defensive midfielder though. He runs forward a lot leaving us exposed on the counter

If he's doing that, then he'll be dropped pretty sharpish, Rafa doesn't tolerate players who don't stick to the team shape.

:lol::lol: so shit.

Guest neesy111

Not sure what you're asking? We are creatively bereft in all areas of the pitch other than Jonjo Shelvey with Merino out.

Ok, wasn't pointed at you but in general I read Ritchie''s fine, Atsu's fine etc but as a unit I don't see many chances created by them in the last 6 games.  So the question is if they are playing fine, where's the issue?

Not sure what you're asking? We are creatively bereft in all areas of the pitch other than Jonjo Shelvey with Merino out.

Ok, wasn't pointed at you but in general I read Ritchie''s fine, Atsu's fine etc but as a unit I don't see many chances created by them in the last 6 games.  So the question is if they are playing fine, where's the issue?

That's a very fair point, like. As a unit they're nowhere near effective enough.

What we have is one winger who can occasionally beat a man and does have pace to get in behind, but has plenty of days where he just isn't effective enough (Atsu). And another winger who is tidy, tenacious, alright from dead balls - but can't beat a man and rarely/never offers a goal threat (Ritchie). Meanwhile there's Hayden, who has potential but no stand-out attributes or creativity. Then Shelvey, who's a good player, who has the burden of the whole team's play-making and offers next to no goal threat. And aside from Merino there's absolutely fuck all waiting in the wings (Diame and Murphy, both shite, Colback and Aarons, shite/out-of-favour).

Each one of the four yesterday are varying shades of 'fine', but as you say, it isn't enough as a unit. And with absolutely fuck all ahead of them, it's a struggle.

Guest neesy111

That's a very fair point, like. As a unit they're nowhere near effective enough.

What we have is one winger who can occasionally beat a man and does have pace to get in behind, but has plenty of days where he just isn't effective enough (Atsu). And another winger who is tidy, tenacious, alright from dead balls - but can't beat a man and rarely/never offers a goal threat (Ritchie). Meanwhile there's Hayden, who has potential but no stand-out attributes or creativity. Then Shelvey, who's a good player, who has the burden of the whole team's play-making and offers next to no goal threat. And aside from Merino there's absolutely fuck all waiting in the wings (Diame and Murphy, both shite, Colback and Aarons, shite/out-of-favour).

Each one of the four yesterday are varying shades of 'fine', but as you say, it isn't enough as a unit. And with absolutely fuck all ahead of them, it's a struggle.

This is why I think people might be focusing too much on the striker issues (we have issues there, no doybt) but the midfield isn't helping them with service.