MLS

Kaizero

• 1 month later...

Can't see the Crew doing anything this year - classic "transitional" season. No more Schelotto, no more Frankie, no more Gino Padula. Brian Carroll and Lenhart also off. God only knows what the team will look like, we need a couple of the new boys to step up.

Guest Heneage

www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com

Site I write for and has some really knowledgeable guys outside of me on it.

While I'm at it, the ESPN schedule here is a joy.

NY Red Bulls - on 8 times

LA Galaxy - on 6 times

MLS Cup winners Colorado Rapids - on twice.

MLS Cup runners-up FC Dallas - not on at all.

Columbus Crew - not on at all.

Fucking fuck you, you fucks.

Guest toonarmymia

Howay Miami Fusion!

About time they got an MLS team down here. Didnt Fusion become the Strikers (of Fort Lauderdale)?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Actually, I'm pretty surprised there isn't a decent MLS franchise in Miami (if only due to the large Hispanic market).

Guest toonarmymia

Actually, I'm pretty surprised there isn't a decent MLS franchise in Miami (if only due to the large Hispanic market).

they lost the franchise in 2001 along with Tampa. the nearest MLS team is almost 1000 miles away (Houston). When the MLS wasnt doing too well in early 2000s, they folded both Florida teams.

There was talk a few years back of Barcelona backing a team down here, which didnt work out. Recently, there's been a resurgence and campaign to bring a MLS team to Miami

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It'd make sense, at least to me (someone on the outside). Large Hispanic community & tourist location.

Guest toonarmymia

It'd make sense, at least to me (someone on the outside). Large Hispanic community & tourist location.

absolutely does. Although a large part of the Hispanic community is Cuban, who dont care about MLS or soccer. Miami had the worst attendance in 2001, but some people have mentioned that the stadium was in the wrong place and now has stronger following.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There's a page article on MLS franchises in this month's 442, nothing major, but it mentions having a city right in the middle of the urban zone. Says those that are far out (Chicago) find it too hard to grab a crowd.

Guest toonarmymia

There's a page article on MLS franchises in this month's 442, nothing major, but it mentions having a city right in the middle of the urban zone. Says those that are far out (Chicago) find it too hard to grab a crowd.

thats the current debate here too. the Miami FC (now Fort Lauderdale Strikers) arent actually in Miami at all! They're building a new Marlins stadium right by downtown which would be an ideal spot. The Miami heat are right in downtown.

to bring in the crowds, something has to be appealing where there are at least 3 sports with bigger billing (and thats not even taking to account college football)

The Miami Fusion played at Lockhart Stadium which was actually in Fort Lauderdale. Ive always thought an MLS team would do well in the middle of Miami but for whatever reason its been very difficult to get the Hispanic population down here to support a local team. There are thousands of Central and South Americans football fans in Miami but they continue to focus their time and energy into supporting their teams from "back home."

First kick-off tonight for MLS.  Looking forward to it, oddly.

As far as Florida teams goes, I think it's between Tampa and Orlando to be honest, with Orlando possibly taking the cake (this upcoming USL season with the Orlando team will tell).

I thought it'd be easier to watch MLS being in the US, but clearly the MLS have taken measures to counteract that convenience by making the match kickoff at a daft time. Anyway, Becks, Donovan aaand Kasey Keller are playing. All the big guns.