On this day...

Tooj

Guest Howaythetoon

King Kev on the steps at SJP keeping his disciples calm 23 years ago  :kasper:

DTMB8OuWkAA8ucA.jpg:large

Ah the day I cried! I’ve never been more gutted with NUFC and football than that day, my idol, hero and for me one of the most important players in our history.

£7m

How much would we get for him today?

Around whatever Jaime Vardy is values at I guess.

Nearer Kane than Vardy. Cole was a more well-rounded player with a much better goal scoring record. Cole was also 23 at the time, whereas Vardy's 30.

Feel like Shearer = Kane, so Cole would be someone worth half a Shearer/Kane.

Guest reefatoon

Selling Cole was devastating and made all the more painful having to watch Kitson try to fill his boots for the rest of the season.

There was one miss in particular vs Nottingham Forest that I honestly couldn't believe he missed. Kitson probably wasn't that bad a player, but among that lot he stood out like a sore thumb as nowhere near good enough. We'd probably kill for a striker like him now. :lol:

True true.  Saying that though, he suffered from the same mysterious problem as a lot of other crap strikers we have had in recent times, of not being able to strike a ball with any conviction. Remember so many times watching weak as piss efforts, slowly rolling to the keeper.  You are right though, he probably wasn't as bad as that, but nowhere near Cole or Beardsley.

Guest firetotheworks

£7m

Nearer Kane than Vardy. Cole was a more well-rounded player with a much better goal scoring record. Cole was also 23 at the time, whereas Vardy's 30.

No way, Cole was the hottest property in the league when we sold him. Just as valuable as Shearer.

£7m

No way, Cole was the hottest property in the league when we sold him. Just as valuable as Shearer.

Yet cost less than half a Shearer.

Guest firetotheworks

£7m

...under completely different circumstances. It was 18 months earlier, Cole was becoming a problem and he wanted away, Gillespie was included, it was mid-season. It was seen as a deal worth around £9m at the time with Gillespie included. Shearer came in having won the league with Blackburn, and winning the golden boot at Euro '96. We also had to pay £15m to get Shearer because Man United and Barcelona were after him at the same time. Trust me, Cole was seriously hot shit.

Guest firetotheworks

:lol: You guys always talk about the Cole thing like it was the day MLK was shot.

For most of our generation it was our baptism of shit from NUFC. :lol:

£7m

Not a fair comparison tbh, fees were accelerating pretty quickly at that time.

TokhjHq.png

Reckon Cole would have fetched 10 to 12 million in summer 1996, not as valuable as Shearer but certainly not half as valuable.

Guest reefatoon

41 goals in the season before man. We will never get to see that kind of strike rate again. The bloke was a machine and that first season up was just an absolute joy to sit through.

:lol: You guys always talk about the Cole thing like it was the day MLK was shot.

:lol: I love the stories, tbh.

"Ah was gannin hyem and some gadgie doon the shops said "They've only gone and flogged Cole, the twats!" and I was like "Howay ya daft auld shite" but when I got home me da was in the garage with his heed in his hands and I knew it was true, like."

"Ah was gannin hyem and some gadgie doon the shops said "They've only gone and flogged Cole, the twats!" and I was like "Howay ya daft auld shite" but when I got home me da was in the garage with his heed in his hands and I knew it was true, like."

geordienew1_3588857b.jpg

Guest Howaythetoon

You have to remember fans were so used to seeing the club's best players (often their heroes and idols) sold to the 'bigger' clubs. The day Keegan walked into the club he said those days were over and then we sell Cole to Man Utd of all clubs. A club who he said when we went up we were gunning for in regards to their title.

Andy Cole was massive at the time, a young black kid wearing the number 9 with a smile and scoring goals for fun. If KK united a city behind their club, Cole united a fanbase behind their hero, him.  He was absolutely idolised by everyone. Old men, old women, bairns, even racists.

That chant man at home to Leicester...

They were the very best of days for us as a club and probably for them players who played in those teams. Cole went on to score loads more and win lots of stuff, but he would never ever play with that wanton abandon again in terms of being free to do what he wanted on the pitch, same with all of them.

Me, I absolutely idolised the man. When we played footy as kids we all wanted to be him, kids used their pocket money just to trade his Premier League sticker (I could never afford him) and for me personally I was so upset when we sold him. I honestly thought that was the end of the dream with NUFC. KK who I also idolised, how could he do that to me? Sell my idol to Man Utd?

I never hated Man Utd at the time, I was a kid just getting into football and loved watching Giggs, Cantona etc. but KK said they were our rivals and we had to be better than them.

Cole gets a bit of flack for singing the anti-KK song at Wembley and it disappointed me. But I've since heard him say nothing but great stuff about his time here, KK himself and the area so he remains a huge huge fave of mine and easily one of the very best players to pull on our shirt.

How much would he be worth today? 100m + easily.

Guest firetotheworks

:lol: Fucking hell, you've been on here too long.

It happened in the morning iirc. I was told when I arrived at school and had an emotional breakdown that's lasted 23 years.

[emoji38] You guys always talk about the Cole thing like it was the day MLK was shot.

You have to remember fans were so used to seeing the club's best players (often their heroes and idols) sold to the 'bigger' clubs. The day Keegan walked into the club he said those days were over and then we sell Cole to Man Utd of all clubs. A club who he said when we went up we were gunning for in regards to their title.

Andy Cole was massive at the time, a young black kid wearing the number 9 with a smile and scoring goals for fun. If KK united a city behind their club, Cole united a fanbase behind their hero, him.  He was absolutely idolised by everyone. Old men, old women, bairns, even racists.

They were the very best of days for us as a club and probably for them players who played in those teams. Cole went on to score loads more and win lots of stuff, but he would never ever play with that wanton abandon again in terms of being free to do what he wanted on the pitch, same with all of them.

Me, I absolutely idolised the man. When we played footy as kids we all wanted to be him, kids used their pocket money just to trade his Premier League sticker (I could never afford him) and for me personally I was so upset when we sold him. I honestly thought that was the end of the dream with NUFC. KK who I also idolised, how could he do that to me? Sell my idol to Man Utd?

I never hated Man Utd at the time, I was a kid just getting into football and loved watching Giggs, Cantona etc. but KK said they were our rivals and we had to be better than them.

Cole gets a bit of flack for singing the anti-KK song at Wembley and it disappointed me. But I've since heard him say nothing but great stuff about his time here, KK himself and the area so he remains a huge huge fave of mine and easily one of the very best players to pull on our shirt.

:aww: I didn't deserve a response this good. Great post.

Guest Howaythetoon

I was at school, one of those rare days I actually attended and our teacher used to have a radio on pretty low in the background and it came on the radio and all hell broke loose. That lesson whatever it was didn't get finished and I remember bunking off the rest of the day moping around gutted and angry. When I went home and looked at my Andy Cole poster on the wall from the pink I cried. Next week was a blur and the I lost interest in the rest of the season as we stumbled to sixth. The following season though... Sir Les who even as a kid I understood to be a much better all-round CF than Cole and I too idolised him, but not in the same was as Cole. I followed Cole's career for a time at Man Utd and always wanted him to do well unless against us.

KK has since said the reason he sold him was because the player himself struggled with the attention, was having family problems at home and would never ever be as good as he was in his first full season with us and although he did want to change how we played, he said Cole was good enough to play in any of his sides and any way he wanted us to play.

Looking back his game was actually very underrated, he was immense in the air and a clinical finisher with either foot.

I think Fergie obviously wanted such a capable goalscorer, but I also believe he wanted him away from us more than anything or just as much.

The board when KK said he wanted to sell Cole :lol: You deal with the fall out... and he did  :love:

Guest Howaythetoon

[emoji38] You guys always talk about the Cole thing like it was the day MLK was shot.

:aww: I didn't deserve a response this good. Great post.

Course you do man :D

Selling Cole was devastating and made all the more painful having to watch Kitson try to fill his boots for the rest of the season.

There was one miss in particular vs Nottingham Forest that I honestly couldn't believe he missed. Kitson probably wasn't that bad a player, but among that lot he stood out like a sore thumb as nowhere near good enough. We'd probably kill for a striker like him now. :lol:

True true.  Saying that though, he suffered from the same mysterious problem as a lot of other crap strikers we have had in recent times, of not being able to strike a ball with any conviction. Remember so many times watching weak as p*ss efforts, slowly rolling to the keeper.  You are right though, he probably wasn't as bad as that, but nowhere near Cole or Beardsley.

I quite liked Kitson, looked good at Leicester and Derby and I was pleased when he signed. I do recall he made super intelligent runs in behind defenders but his all round game wasn't much cop. He missed from about 1 yard out against Arsenal (think it was the game when Beardsley won it with a last minute screamer from distance), trundling a sad shot straight at Seaman I remember and a bloke behind me screamed "Hoo Kitson, I coulda put that in with me knob!!!"

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way I didn't want to bring his skin color into it or get all political, but we were just coming out of the 80s, an era where the National Front was active inside and outside of the stadium and the BNP was getting a foothold on local politics or communities. Although there were black people and families in Newcastle, they were not common. There was a far bigger Asian communit for example so a black person was quite rare.

Cole for me, transcended all of that because for the first time ever in Newcastle anyway, here was a black man, a young black man, in a very Northern city were racism was still quite strong, more so at football and within that part of society, and he really was the king.

Idolised by all. Cole himself who was obviously used to racism growing up was taken aback by it all. He couldn't quite believe it. I think in many respects he was socially just as important to the then psyche of the city and its people as much as he was to the club and I'd like to think he played a role in helping change attitudes towards black people and basically people that were not white, at then time especially.

And why was he idolised? Because in him we all thought we had the best player in the world, certainly the best goalscorer. A number 9, he was 21 or something and he was going to be ours for keeps. Andy Andy Cole, he gets the ball and scores a goal, Andy Andy Cole.

Guest Howaythetoon

True true.  Saying that though, he suffered from the same mysterious problem as a lot of other crap strikers we have had in recent times, of not being able to strike a ball with any conviction. Remember so many times watching weak as p*ss efforts, slowly rolling to the keeper.  You are right though, he probably wasn't as bad as that, but nowhere near Cole or Beardsley.

I quite liked Kitson, looked good at Leicester and Derby and I was pleased when he signed. I do recall he made super intelligent runs in behind defenders but his all round game wasn't much cop. He missed from about 1 yard out against Arsenal (think it was the game when Beardsley won it with a last minute screamer from distance), trundling a sad shot straight at Seaman I remember and a bloke behind me screamed "Hoo Kitson, I coulda put that in with me knob!!!"

He was a decent player and I was quite excited when we bought him as he was highly rated, but he wasn't suited to KK's team or way of playing at all.

He was a decent player and I was quite excited when we bought him as he was highly rated, but he wasn't suited to KK's team or way of playing at all.

No but the potential was there. I recall he faffed around before signing, initially turning us down over wages iirc.

Mirror headline after he left without signing "IT'S PAUL TWITSON"  :lol:

Didn't work out, but surrounded by Beardsley et al, he could have improved in time. Think his debut was home to Sheff Wed and he took the ball flush in the mush and had to be substituted. Thought he was a fanny for that like.

£7m

Not sure about that like. It's not as if he kept Shearer out of the England line-up; not even next in line.