General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

• 3 weeks later...

I see Chris Waugh did a piece last week waxing lyrical about the strength in depth across our defence, particularly centre back, but didn't spot the irony that it's all down to Rafa.

It seems like these journo's have been encouraged to remove Rafa from our history and lay all of the credit at Stevie's door.

I find it fucking amazing how all of the press, and many fans, just move on, just get on with, just look at the situation likes it entirely normal.

It's almost like we never had one of the best coaches in the world at our club........

I see Chris Waugh did a piece last week waxing lyrical about the strength in depth across our defence, particularly centre back, but didn't spot the irony that it's all down to Rafa.

It seems like these journo's have been encouraged to remove Rafa from our history and lay all of the credit at Stevie's door.

I find it fucking amazing how all of the press, and many fans, just move on, just get on with, just look at the situation likes it entirely normal.

It's almost like we never had one of the best coaches in the world at our club........

For all of elite football's politics, economics and its reflections of its communities - NOTHING dictates public perception like results. Pick up 7 or 8 points from 15 and you'll always be right at rain, regardless of whether or not such a return matches expectations/potential and regardless of any glaring deficiencies.

That's why the whole Rafa-Goes-We-Go crack was never going to amount to anything particularly meaningful. You don't need to win many games to secure attendances.

I find it f***ing amazing how all of the press, and many fans, just move on, just get on with, just look at the situation likes it entirely normal.

For all of elite football's politics, economics and its reflections of its communities - NOTHING dictates public perception like results. Pick up 7 or 8 points from 15 and you'll always be right at rain, regardless of whether or not such a return matches expectations/potential and regardless of any glaring deficiencies.

That's why the whole Rafa-Goes-We-Go crack was never going to amount to anything particularly meaningful. You don't need to win many games to secure attendances.

Dunno like, there seems to be about 6 or 7 thousand that have actually stopped going since last season, and even after a good away win it was only 44k on Saturday.

Once people stop going thry generally don't go back i think.

It's promising but it's still not that meaningful a drop though. It's only really 'sort of' news. If it was half empty it would be a story.

I'll extend the point to media coverage as well though, which was Minhosa's main point.

I won’t go back till Mike Ashley is gone because I known Ashley&Bruce can’t take Newcastle anywhere long term.

Backing a manager who has proved a world class managerial ceiling when backed is something I could get behind.

It was just a massive opportunity missed and unforgivable that Mike Ashley didn’t let us see a backed Rafa Benitez.

For many fans it was Mike’s last chance to do things right.

When will we next have a manager of Rafa Benitez managerial ceiling?

Mike Ashley destroyed my hope no point going back till he’s gone.

Agree with this. Results are the be all and end all for most. If Steve Bruce finishes in the top 8 with this side then Ashley is vindicated in the eyes of most.

People will stop going only when we're doing poorly on the pitch. If we go down and we're struggling in the championship, then we'll see really low crowds. For now, we're a few points off 5th. Though, as other have said; many have jacked it in already.

It'll be doomed to failure eventually imo.

i signed up for a free month then £30 for a year or something, there just wasn't enough content for me to be bothered even at that price

if i'm paying an NUFC specific journalist to read NUFC stories then i want to see the cunt exposing ashley/charnley etc. i don't want bruce fluff pieces i could get out of the chronicle with an ad blocker

Guest Howaythetoon

Has subscription access based content ever succeeded, outside of film/TV obviously?

I’d rather subscribe to N.O to read posts than subscribe to read some sports journalism from various reporters.

Guest neesy111

Has subscription access based content ever succeeded, outside of film/TV obviously?

I’d rather subscribe to N.O to read posts than subscribe to read some sports journalism from various reporters.

Financial times made a success of it, but guessing their readership is to an audience that can afford to pay.

Guest Howaythetoon

Financial times made a success of it, but guessing their readership is to an audience that can afford to pay.

I used to pay to subscribe to various webmaster sites/forums back in the day like Sitepoint and Webmasterworld, but only because they were specific to me in terms of educating myself, developing new skills, discussing among peers ideas and such which combined were essential valuable business tools.

I subscribe to various offline print magazines (cars), but again only because they are specific to my niche interests that they cover. As much as I enjoy reading articles by GC and interviews with certain players, I don’t think I’d ever feel compelled enough to pay and subscribe to this website so I can read an interview with Steve Howay or read GC’s thoughts on things at NUFC.

I’m surprised they have successfully managed to get whatever number they have already to subscribe to such a model, but I won’t be surprised if this model quickly fails full stop or becomes a free to access model sooner rather than later.

I’m obviously no expert, but I’d imagine they would make more money operating a free platform and focusing more on video/podcast/vlog content to generate revenues from advertisers and sponsors rather than subscribers.

Either way, if they help to put an end to the likes of the Chronicle and the likes of Lee Ryder, more power to them.

I’ll not be paying to read/watch their content though.

They could have surely got someone better than Chris Waugh man.

well with what they're (probably) paying the other big name journalists on there they had to make cuts somewhere. Just be glad its someone who can pretend to write instead of lee ryder

They're not making money off their US subscribers so I'm sure it's the same for the UK launch. They be backed by major venture capital funding for a while, possibly less than they thought now the VC is being questioned as a way to build a company.

It's worth it for me personally, but I also follow US sports. If you don't you're only getting Waugh/Caulkin and maybe one or two non-NUFC related articles you're interested in per week.

NYT, WAPO, Daily Beast, etc.

They're not making money off their US subscribers so I'm sure it's the same for the UK launch. They be backed by major venture capital funding for a while, possibly less than they thought now the VC is being questioned as a way to build a company.

It's worth it for me personally, but I also follow US sports. If you don't you're only getting Waugh/Caulkin and maybe one or two non-NUFC related articles you're interested in per week.

They are owned by Steve Jobs’ widow. They have plenty of money to see them through an new area launches and transition periods until they get it right.