England

Yorkie

From what I remember I thought our team was quality except at left midfield where we struggled

Think the solutions to that wernt great.

Dyer and joe Cole were good options there, and Anderton and mcmanaman.

Was too much of an obsession of pushing gerrard lampard and scholes into the same team

From what I remember I thought our team was quality except at left midfield where we struggled

Think the solutions to that wernt great.

Dyer and joe Cole were good options there, and Anderton and mcmanaman.

Was too much of an obsession of pushing gerrard lampard and scholes into the same team

Agree with all of that 👍

With regards to the CM debate.  The insistance on playing 4-4-2 killed us i think.  Those 3 could’ve played together in a midfield 3, but picking 2 of them in CM and pushing 1 over to the left was an awful idea.

Depends, if it was a 4-3-3 then yes there would’ve been no room for Beckham, who was inspirational and un droppable at the time i’d say.  I always thought we should’ve played 3 at the back with Ashley Cole and Beckham as wing backs, Beckham definitely had the engine to play that role.  Don’t think it was ever tried though.

I could see Neville as a right wing-back, Beckham just inside him, then the same issue having to pick two from three. :lol:

I still think that 2002 World Cup could have been a sliding doors moment for Newcastle. There was a load of talk leading up to it about Sven trying to convince Shearer to come back just for the World Cup. He was just approaching 32 but he’d been shit hot in the season leading up to it and still popular in Asia. I think we’d have won it if he’d played over Heskey. Imagine the knock-on that could have had on Newcastle commercially in the Far East having our star striker winning the World Cup over there, with us just heading into the Champions League?

I just mash those two eras together :lol:

I think we have a very good squad now, the defenders are pretty quality. CBs are not the best in the world but they're passable, and our choice of fullbacks is excellent.

There's probably only 2-3 genuinely world class defenders playing currently so it's not the end of the world.

Most nations are fairly piss poor at the back.

I could see Neville as a right wing-back, Beckham just inside him, then the same issue having to pick two from three. :lol:

I still think that 2002 World Cup could have been a sliding doors moment for Newcastle. There was a load of talk leading up to it about Sven trying to convince Shearer to come back just for the World Cup. He was just approaching 32 but he’d been shit hot in the season leading up to it and still popular in Asia. I think we’d have won it if he’d played over Heskey. Imagine the knock-on that could have had on Newcastle commercially in the Far East having our star striker winning the World Cup over there, with us just heading into the Champions League?

Cole and Neville as wing backs would be a bit too defensive minded for me, as they both would’ve been essentially full backs being asked to play a more attacking role.  I don’t think it would’ve worked as well as having Beckham out there, who was attack minded but was more than happy to put the miles in defensively. 

That’s an interesting point, it’s not something i’ve thought of before if i’m honest.  Although i remember being glad at the time that Shearer didn’t make an England return. 

Apparently Kane has never scored on a Wednesday

That doesn't sound right. Have all his CL goals just happened to be on a Tuesday?

According to Laura Woods on Talksport this morning its true

Foden > Grealish.

They're both incredible and both should be starting imo.

Against toss like Iceland you’d have to look to try too. It’s a shame Foden has been playing wide more for City, will hinder him for England under Southgate who is negative.