Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

they've their usual hooligan thread, first page and theres the obligatory mags fantasy:

What got my back up was I was a fit 20 year old minding my business with another fifteen Poolies likewise, minding our own business having a pre match pint in the Wolseley when a coach of 40 odd twats wearing black and white walked in.

What do you do ?

They saw us, we saw them. Nothing was said. Pool sticks and balls were gathered. No one said a word.

They were coming back from the bar as if we weren’t there and not one of them wished us good luck.

They got settled and after about five minutes my mate just waded into them. Tables over mags shitting it, bar room battle. Everyone involved. They got whacked.

It carried on outside and one of ours was knocked out.

Some mags were chased down a dead end. They were outnumbered and clobbered.

We re grouped and went to the match. We approached from the Roker End but of course we were going into the Fulwell End.

In the Main Stand car park we walked into a gang of mags making their way to the Roker End. The game had already started. There was hell on as we got into them between parked cars we kicked them all ower and they were running away .

Just one mag game I remember .They didn’t always have it the way they say they did.

That Henderson v Gerrard thread is absolutely crackers.

'Gerrard wasn't a team player', etc.

Wat  :lol:

Played out of position for the team so much, especially under Rafa it's untrue. Not a dig at Rafa that, it just so happens it was a way of getting who he wanted in CM.

Tbh I always thought Gerrard was a bit selfish and would too often go for some ludicrous long pass or shot when he should've passed, and that's why I've always ranked him 3rd out of him, Scholes, and Lampard. Henderson is nowhere near him though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Henderson is technically limited and is the quintessential English type of player, but unlike similar players of his standard/technique/ability, he’s extracted the most out of his game/ability because of his stamina, attitude, professionalism and because he’s actually very good at what he does/gives/brings to a team like Milner. He’s nowhere near the level of the likes of Gerrard were. He’s a top bloke by all accounts and does a lot to support SAFC’s academy and I’m a fan of his and pleased for him he’s had the success he has had.

His type (limitations in technical ability) are slowly but surely becoming redundant as a new breed of better technical English players emmerge and the standard in kids’ football, grassroots coaching, facilities and of course academies.

In many ways right now though, I do feel Henderson is actually underrated in terms of just how key a player he is on and off the field which all teams need and which the likes of Liverpool buy having superior technical players around the likes of him, can compensate for if he can provide the team with other qualities which he does.

Guest Howaythetoon

Good shout. Henderson is just a midfield Gary Neville.

Saying Henderson is better than Gerrard is like saying Neville is better than Cafu or Zanetti.

Gary Neville was underatted IMO and a very good footballer, who could pass and cross, he wasn’t skilful or a dribbler full of flair of course, but he was much better than often considered.

The likes of Cafu and Zanetti were world class and greats of their era in their position.

I always thought as great as Gerrard was, technically, he wasn’t the best in that he would often over run the ball with it at his feet which meant he’d over stretch (leading to injuries or contesting challenges and tackles because he would run into bodies or be closed down or draw people into him/space). That’s why Rafa switched him wide/r right midfield because he didn’t want him getting bogged down in midfield which his not so brilliant technique would be found out/lead to problems.

Compare his technical ability to say Alonso...

Gerard had great energy, discipline, drive, will to win, mental strength and could run with the ball, without it and a tremendous range of passing and vision and incredible striking technique similar to say a Shearer.

I rated Lampard as an all-rounder higher than Gerrard, he was for me a level above technically and as a footballer.

Rafa in charge of England would have got them two the right way round so to speak which Sven failed to do, moving Lampard left many a time to keep Gerrard central. A waste of two different but top players.

Henderson is technically limited and is the quintessential English type of player, but unlike similar players of his standard/technique/ability, he’s extracted the most out of his game/ability because of his stamina, attitude, professionalism and because he’s actually very good at what he does/gives/brings to a team like Milner. He’s nowhere near the level of the likes of Gerrard were. He’s a top bloke by all accounts and does a lot to support SAFC’s academy and I’m a fan of his and pleased for him he’s had the success he has had.

His type (limitations in technical ability) are slowly but surely becoming redundant as a new breed of better technical English players emmerge and the standard in kids’ football, grassroots coaching, facilities and of course academies.

In many ways right now though, I do feel Henderson is actually underrated in terms of just how key a player he is on and off the field which all teams need and which the likes of Liverpool buy having superior technical players around the likes of him, can compensate for if he can provide the team with other qualities which he does.

Yep, can't knock Henderson- he might be limited in talent but you can tell he's made the absolute most of what he does have through discipline, work, training hard and living the lifestyle of a professional as opposed to going getting shit faced and trying to abuse as many naive lasses as he can. He might be a tit when it comes to us but you've got to respect the way he goes about his career.

In reference your last sentence I'd add it was notable how much he influenced the ref at SJP last season. Apart from one decision in the build up to Rondons goal Henderson pretty much took the whistle and cards at kick off, refereed the match and returned them to the ref at the final whistle. It's an underrated skill and one that's harder than it looks to get right.

Yep, can't knock Henderson- he might be limited in talent but you can tell he's made the absolute most of what he does have through discipline, work, training hard and living the lifestyle of a professional as opposed to going getting shit faced and trying to abuse as many naive lasses as he can. He might be a tit when it comes to us but you've got to respect the way he goes about his career.

In reference your last sentence I'd add it was notable how much he influenced the ref at SJP last season. Apart from one decision in the build up to Rondons goal Henderson pretty much took the whistle and cards at kick off, refereed the match and returned them to the ref at the final whistle. It's an underrated skill and one that's harder than it looks to get right.

That’ll be something he’ll have learned from Gerrard.

I think you are being a wee bit harsh by stating his type is becoming redundant. Yes, he is no Gerrard or Alonso, but he is a perfect midfielder if a coach wants to implement a high press system. He can control and move the ball fast, press and close down space at a high level for 120 minutes, follows instructions to the letter, and has the game intelligence to position himself in space to receive the ball from the defenders.

Keita, Wijnaldum, and Fabinho are better midfielders than Henderson in attributes but we play better when it is Henderson plus two. To see his impact,  watch the Southampton game from last season when he came on in the 60th minute and changed the game. He was instrumental in moving the ball faster, initiating the press faster. We just play at a higher speed, tempo, and control when he is on the pitch.

As a captain, he has been perfect on and off the pitch for the last three years. Does a lot of great work in the community, an excellent ambassador for the club. He is loved by the squad and players respond to him.

He is an ideal captain for Klopp and Klopp is the perfect manager for him. As long as counter-pressing is in vogue, players like him will be in high demand. He is definitely going to retire as a bonafide Liverpool legend, no doubt about it.

48 pages, 944 posts and 19,000 views with a thread on our game tonight  ;D

And they say we are obsessed  :lol:

Haven’t looked at it , I expect it’s full of the usual bitterness, forgetting they make the numbers up in division 3 , potless, pointless.

Sounds as if they’re extending use of the furlough scheme until the eve of next season for all staff, players included, but they’re not topping up the outstanding 20%.

Of course, the furlough scheme only pays 80% of the wages up to around £3k per month, so some of their players are going to be massively out of pocket.