Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

:lol: People talking about this like we're a normal football club who would simply reinvest the money and build a better squad.

This.

Remember when we sold Cabaye for £20m and speculated about how we'd reinvest the money? :lol:

jack-colback-close-up-laughing-newcastle-united-nufc-650x400-1.jpg

20m is fuck all really. Rather keep him. 'Could' be worth three times that after next season if Rafa stays. Hayden has improved very much and Longstaff's potential level is much higher.

Would be mad to sell him and a real statement of how shit we really are.

aye be fucking madness to sell him

At any price? How much is the minimum you'd sell him for? Not trying to be obstinate here but the guy has had, what, 10 games of top-flight football?

Fwiw I really like him as a player, I just think we'd be mad to not consider selling him for over 30 million.

It's not about raw numbers but the abdication of hope that such a move represents. Being unable or unwilling to hold on to the rare good talent that comes from an Academy like ours - whether or not it should be a rare thing is another conversation - is perfectly in line with the Ashley protocol.

I agree with the sentiment but the reality is if we can improve the team by selling an overvalued asset it's a sensible thing to do imo. This is obviously in some eggs in moonshine world where we would use all the money to actually improve the playing squad...

:lol: Hope?

Utter madness to sell. We're close to having the spine of a pretty decent side, and with a few additions this summer we could kick on a bit and prove it.

(It will all be laying in bits a few weeks hence, won't it. :D )

Still kills me that when talking about a 22-year old it’s basically assumed they’ve already got a proverbial foot in the footballing grave.

The one-club player is such a rarity these days that even an 18-year old with promise is extremely unlikely to give your club more than a handful of seasons.

Although he's looked great for the most part, it's his first season in the top-flight and he'll be 22 soon. Romanticism aside (local lad etc.), for anything close to 30 million we'd be stupid not to sell him; for our current situation we could find a better player for that kind of money relatively easily.

Stuff like this man..

How, after years of Mike Ashley, can you argue like this?

A young English, 2 footed passing centre midfielder, with a decent long distance shot on him.. we'd be mental to sell him.

We’ll probably get offered Mctonimay in return who couldn’t even dream of what Longstaff can do with a football off either foot :hmm:

Same skill set apparently :idiot2:

Guest covmag

Utter madness to sell. We're close to having the spine of a pretty decent side, and with a few additions this summer we could kick on a bit and prove it.

(It will all be laying in bits a few weeks hence, won't it. :D )

Kick on to where? 10th 7th 11th? Means nowt really. We will be a safe as houses or relegated. Unless a multi billionaire wants to invest the top 5 ish will be very tough to break unless it's a fluke

Yes, it's only 9 games, but in those 9 games he's more than held his own against top opponents.

He is our best young player since Gazza, and it's impossible to put a value on him now.

I think he's worth Phil Jones plus inflation, which I guess is 30-35m. Only half as many games as Phil Jones had, but in a more demanding position. More impact in them too. Same young English premium.

As everyone says, the biggest issue is that any fee would not be reinvested in the team.

I just do not believe Man U would be willing to spunk £20 million+ on a kid who is, let’s face it, pretty unproven and who is also not yet back from injury. I just think it’s bullshit and pure speculation.

:lol: We absolutely would spend this.

Really Froggy?

Well aye. We're spending £15m on a winger from the Championship. Some season long loan fees approach £10m these days. For a young Englishman who's already done well in his albet short time in the league, £20m is nothing now.

I just do not believe Man U would be willing to spunk £20 million+ on a kid who is, let’s face it, pretty unproven and who is also not yet back from injury. I just think it’s bullshit and pure speculation.

:lol: We absolutely would spend this.

Really Froggy?

Well aye. We're spending £15m on a winger from the Championship. Some season long loan fees approach £10m these days. For a young Englishman who's already done well in his albet short time in the league, £20m is nothing now.

I just can’t see it, especially as he’s not even back from injury. What if he’s not the player he was?

Well we’ll see eh? Maybe I’m just remembering Man U as they used to be.

Yes, it's only 9 games, but in those 9 games he's more than held his own against top opponents.

He is our best young player since Gazza, and it's impossible to put a value on him now.

Carroll was tearing the whole country apart in 2010. He never reached those heights again, but he was the best young player the club has fielded in a long, long time. Longstaff could well surpass that within the next year, but not after 9 games.

Selling him would be mental. We are already losing Hayden. Diame, Ki and Shelvey are hardly the long term CM's we want. Diame will be off and Ki/Shelvey are not really pushing us forward by keeping them. Squad players at best them two.

We want Longstaff plus a new competent CM to pair with him next season. Selling Longstaff just means we have to buy two first team quality CM's next season which will cost a fortune.

Guest covmag

Getting £30m would be immense however within a year he could be double that just for being at Manure