Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

If you think that 3 of the 4 post hits were a chip the keeper after a brilliant one touch team move, a left footed volley thunder bastard and a right footed curler from outside the box you’d have some goal of the season candidates all in one bloody match.

As good as they both are, neither come close to his ability.

Shelvey puts the team under enormous pressure when his every second touch is an attempted 50 yard Hollywood pass. They are great when they succeed but every time the pass doesn't come off, rest of the team have to work hard just to get the ball back. He has immense talent but I really hate his decision making.

I was willing that shot inside the post; it was a tremendous effort and I think that moment really elevated my perception of him. He isn't just an academy product holding his own... nor is he just defying expectations with good performances... he's actively changing games and consistently looking like one of the very best players on the pitch. All this coming from centre-midfield as well, which is probably the most influential area of the pitch after centre-forward. Unbelievably difficult to make the step up and own a position like that in this league; we should be very excited.

The new Jamie McClen

If he turns out as good as Clarkie or Stevie Watson/Alan Thompson id be happy

think clarkie was decent but a tad overrated tbh. think watson, thompson and even elliot (before he left us the first time) were better.

The new Jamie McClen

If he turns out as good as Clarkie or Stevie Watson/Alan Thompson id be happy

think clarkie was decent but a tad overrated tbh. think watson, thompson and even elliot (before he left us the first time) were better.

Nah, Clark was better than all of those (though he played a different position to all of those) if he’d had any pace he’d have been top notch. A Sunday side I used to play for had our home games at the old training ground at Benwell for a while, Clark was playing for the young un’s on the pitch next to us at one of the games and I swear that our game stopped and watched as he went past about 5 opposition players with the minimum of fuss. He did really good jobs for the mackems and Fulham.

Guest Howaythetoon

Longstaff not only has what it takes downstairs in his feet to make it big, but more importantly he has what it takes upstairs in his head as well. Which combined is a rarity that should give us all a degree of confidence even at this early stage to get excited enough about.

Talent aside which he has demonstrated enough of, it’s his football brain that stands out the most. On and off the ball he reads the game so well, is so composed and he often makes the right decision.

Although not an obvious athlete in terms of physical strength, power and pace, he has the right athletic physique in terms of height and build coupled with high energy and mobility levels. Energy and mobility that enable him to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and compete physically with others without exerting himself to the point of running himself imo the ground.

Best of all though he has a rare temprement for an English player on and off the ball, especially a midfielder, and that rarity is self composure. He doesn’t panic, rush, or chase after the ball or man, he doesn’t play the ball out aimlessly whether deep or under pressure, instead always looking to play the ball out to a team-mate, to feet short or long, or into space short or long, forwards, sideways or backwards. He doesn’t rush into tackles either and has this knack that beliesmhis age and experience of being in the right place at the right time.

He’s been compared to Carrick by a few and I myself have compared him to Jordan Henderson, but looking back through the years, he reminds of of David Batty, not the Batty of Blackburn fame, a tough tackling defensive midfielder limited on the ball, but the Batty we saw under Keegan who was all of that and much more.

Regardless, he will become a top top player if he keeps working hard and keeps his feet on the ground because he has it all, especially upstairs.

he looks a class act like.

the lads only 21 so talking about his physique and stuff is a but strange for me, gerrard was a skinny whippet at 21 as well

im hoping he becomes a lampard/gerrard type

Jees....wouldn't that be heaven? Scared to even think about it....