Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I think he means dependable squad player from the academy...

That's a disservice to Longstaff because he has all the makings to be more than 'dependable'. He's good enough on this form to play first choice.

That's what he is currently.

Dummett has never once looked like he’s someone capable of being a first choice Premier League full-back. Longstaff looks like he belongs here.

I disagree. Dummett was steady for periods. I really like the look of Longstaff. He had a good game, as he did against Man City the other week, but today we were playing against 10 man Huddersfield who gave him plenty time on the ball, I don't think he was closed down enough. He did what he needed to do and nearly capped it off with a worldy.

The fact that some are already comparing him to Gerrard is doing nobody any favours. Let's just enjoy him for what he currently is and what he could be without telling everyone he's something that he isn't.

That's a disservice to Longstaff because he has all the makings to be more than 'dependable'. He's good enough on this form to play first choice.

Dummett has never once looked like he’s someone capable of being a first choice Premier League full-back. Longstaff looks like he belongs here.

I disagree. Dummett was steady for periods. I really like the look of Longstaff. He had a good game, as he did against Man City the other week, but today we were playing against 10 man Huddersfield who gave him plenty time on the ball, I don't think he was closed down enough. He did what he needed to do and nearly capped it off with a worldy.

The fact that some are already comparing him to Gerrard is doing nobody any favours. Let's just enjoy him for what he currently is and what he could be without telling everyone he's something that he isn't.

People are just taking the piss with the Gerrard, Lampard and Carrick comparisons. He's actually slightly better than Iniesta.

People are just taking the piss with the Gerrard, Lampard and Carrick comparisons. He's actually slightly better than Iniesta.

Ah, fair enough, it didn't read that way earlier!

Ah, fair enough, it didn't read that way earlier!

I've purposely kept quiet on him mind. I love a local lad playing for the club and get far too emotionally attached to them only to turn shit or fuck off breaking my heart in the process.  :lol:

Genuine question; how many on here have seen him in the flesh playing? His stats are a fantastic, he gets all over the pitch, he finds space, he doesn’t panic, he has a range of passing and he reads the game. The amount of second balls he picks up is so impressive; he is the pivot in our midfield and he is the player the team look for in tight situations.

He may not be eye catching but I really do believe he has a chance of being a top player.

He really does look like a seasoned Premier midfielder like. Rafa's not someone to play a young local lad out of sentiment, he's keeping his place because he's doing a great job week in week out.

He started alongside Diame in the pre season and they worked well together from what I saw, but that would be cruel on Hayden who has stepped up equally.

Just can’t see Shelvey getting back in. He’s not mobile enough.

I would like to see shelvey firing balls for almiron at some point, hes the player who would make shelvey look amazing imo. No need to change things at the mo tho, every pass longstaff makes seems to have purpose and not always looking for the Hollywood

I would like to see shelvey firing balls for almiron at some point, hes the player who would make shelvey look amazing imo. No need to change things at the mo tho, every pass longstaff makes seems to have purpose and not always looking for the Hollywood

Can’t see Shelvey getting back in tbh. Longstaff is more mobile, more aware and is making better decisions, he can mix his passing up and with Lejuenne and Scharr behind him he has the option to lay off to them for them to ping a ball. Lejuenne hits a cross field diagonal Kenny Wharton would be proud of......for me, Longstaff and Ki would potentially make a good pairing. Longstaff likes sitting a little deeper and Ki would benefit by playing a little higher up the pitch. Hayden is doing well however, I think Ki would link in with Perez and Almiron much better.

Can’t see Shelvey getting back in tbh. Longstaff is more mobile, more aware and is making better decisions, he can mix his passing up and with Lejuenne and Scharr behind him he has the option to lay off to them for them to ping a ball. Lejuenne hits a cross field diagonal Kenny Wharton would be proud of......for me, Longstaff and Ki would potentially make a good pairing. Longstaff likes sitting a little deeper and Ki would benefit by playing a little higher up the pitch. Hayden is doing well however, I think Ki would link in with Perez and Almiron much better.

100% agree with you there my squire.

Shelvey will be binned in the summer and rightly so he's bang average. This lad has all the attributes he doesn't

He will turn into Rafas Geordie Stevie G if Rafa stays