Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

I've been a critic of him and still think we need to replace with better. Having said that, I'd have him in the team if he could perform the way he did today consistently. That header leading up to the 3rd goal sums up his desire and determination. Immense.

I've never really been a critic, he has a great football brain and a great right foot. The only issue is his lack of pace which means he doesn't really scare the opposition. Compare him with Miggy on the other flank for example. Almiron has no assists or goals as yet, but he puts the fear of god into the opposition with his pace and dribbling skills. They can't push up with confidence in case he gets in behind them. Like he did today when he should have had Ward-Prowse sent off for desperately bringing him down to stop a goal scoring situation.

He had a really good game. All over the pitch. Generally did the right thing when he had the ball. Started the attack for the second by playing Rondon through and sacrificed himself with the assist for the third which came at a crucial time seeing as Soton was all over us at that point. If it wasn't for Ayozes hattrick he would have been my motm.

Great block by him. It must be hard for him playing there but puts in a shift.

I still expect him to sound like some other radgie Scotsman though, David Speedie etc. for older readers. Gets me every time.

Credit to the lad, he's worked his socks off.

People need to remember that when we signed Almiron our entire game changed. It wasn't just Almiron who had to adapt, the whole team has had to do the same. Ritchie has played, very effectively, for a team that lacked the kind of elements that Almiron brings, it's no wonder his first thought isn't "right, where's that nippy little bugger?"

Shame Almiron has got injured because we were beginning to get there. Thought Ritchie and Almron linked up lovely to set up Ki's chance.

I've been a critic of him and still think we need to replace with better. Having said that, I'd have him in the team if he could perform the way he did today consistently. That header leading up to the 3rd goal sums up his desire and determination. Immense.

I've never really been a critic, he has a great football brain and a great right foot. The only issue is his lack of pace which means he doesn't really scare the opposition. Compare him with Miggy on the other flank for example. Almiron has no assists or goals as yet, but he puts the fear of god into the opposition with his pace and dribbling skills. They can't push up with confidence in case he gets in behind them. Like he did today when he should have had Ward-Prowse sent off for desperately bringing him down to stop a goal scoring situation.

He has a horrific right foot.

• 3 months later...

Yikes, just heard him on talksport saying "he doesn't understand the fans unrest, and the owner's been honest in his interviews in the press, cant compete, need the fans to support the team". Also mentioned Bournemouth as a comparison to us. Get him on the list.

That one hurts.

What fucking 'unrest', anyway? They're singing Bruce's name in the stands.

Ashley and Bruce have played a blinder. They knew all they had to do was get Lascelles, Shelvey and Ritchie onside and the squad would just take it and move on, and only the one's really close to Rafa would want to go.

Yikes, just heard him on talksport saying "he doesn't understand the fans unrest, and the owner's been honest in his interviews in the press, cant compete, need the fans to support the team". Also mentioned Bournemouth as a comparison to us. Get him on the list.

That one hurts.

What fucking 'unrest', anyway? They're singing Bruce's name in the stands.

Tbf, Ritchie[/member] reads this forum.

Not saying this is true, but did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps Rafa wasn’t as popular with the players as he was the fans? I don’t know...just putting it out there.

I said before that Ritchie probably didn't enjoy playing for Rafa as he made his name playing much higher up the pitch at Bournemouth and it probably suited him better from a personal POV.

He’s been on my list since Almiron arrived and he wouldn’t pass to him.

Can't bare to listen to that. The first line is delusion whilst the second line is unbelievable point-missing which you'd hope, after three years at the club... ah, fuck it. It doesn't need explaining. Hope he's out for the season.