General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye good on the club, my own company/we help the food bank out as much as we can and they rely so much on match days. These will be hit so hard and that’s a double whammy for those who rely on such organisations as they’ve already been hit so hard a lot before all this.

Decent little game on the Chronicle FB:

Name an XI:

Two English

Two French

Two Spanish

One Dutch

One Norn/Irish

One club trophy winner

One who only played for one season

One who nearly joined

Came up with (without much thought):

Krul

Hughes - Luisao - Coloccini - Jose

HBA - Lee - Hamann - Robert

Shearer - Perez

From nufc.com

With confirmation that there will be no football played until at least the end of April, we plan to post a retrospective piece from happier times each day.

Today we present our first XI of Toon Teasers; 10 tests of your NUFC knowledge plus a picture question. No prizes, we'll post the answers on Saturday:

1. In which two Chinese cities did Newcastle play matches during July 2019?

2. Following the arrival of Alan Shoulder from Blyth Spartans, United returned to local league football to sign Peter Cartwright from which club?

3. Which former Magpie and England international defender had a brother called Keith who also played for Newcastle?

4. In the 4-1 derby victory on wearside in April 2006, who scored for the mackems?

5. Aside from Newcastle, which is the only other club that Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez have both played for? (NB: not at the same time)

6. Who is the only Angolan-born player to appear for Newcastle?

7. Why did Sir Alex Ferguson claim that Nottingham Forest would “go easy” on Newcastle when the two sides met in the closing weeks of the 1995/96 season?

8. Three Ameobi brothers played competitively at junior and reserve level for Newcastle; Shola, Sammy and who?

9. Which two Inter Milan players faced Newcastle in the San Siro in March 2003 and went on to play competitively for the Magpies?

Stinker

10. Staying with that visit to Milan, a third Inter player subsequently made a senior friendly appearance for United at St. James’ Park. Name him and name the friendly opponents.

Picture

Eight goals in our colours for this player during the Premier League era. Name him.

2020-03-20mystery-mag.jpg

1. No idea.

2. No idea.

3. No idea.

4. Hoyte.

5. Deportivo

6. No idea.

7. Stuart Pearce's testimonial?

8. Tommy?

9. Emre & Martins

10. Coco v Yeading

11. Sibierski

From nufc.com

With confirmation that there will be no football played until at least the end of April, we plan to post a retrospective piece from happier times each day.

Today we present our first XI of Toon Teasers; 10 tests of your NUFC knowledge plus a picture question. No prizes, we'll post the answers on Saturday:

1. In which two Chinese cities did Newcastle play matches during July 2019?

2. Following the arrival of Alan Shoulder from Blyth Spartans, United returned to local league football to sign Peter Cartwright from which club?

3. Which former Magpie and England international defender had a brother called Keith who also played for Newcastle?

4. In the 4-1 derby victory on wearside in April 2006, who scored for the mackems?

5. Aside from Newcastle, which is the only other club that Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez have both played for? (NB: not at the same time)

6. Who is the only Angolan-born player to appear for Newcastle?

7. Why did Sir Alex Ferguson claim that Nottingham Forest would “go easy” on Newcastle when the two sides met in the closing weeks of the 1995/96 season?

8. Three Ameobi brothers played competitively at junior and reserve level for Newcastle; Shola, Sammy and who?

9. Which two Inter Milan players faced Newcastle in the San Siro in March 2003 and went on to play competitively for the Magpies?

Stinker

10. Staying with that visit to Milan, a third Inter player subsequently made a senior friendly appearance for United at St. James’ Park. Name him and name the friendly opponents.

Picture

Eight goals in our colours for this player during the Premier League era. Name him.

2020-03-20mystery-mag.jpg

1. Nanjing/Shanghai

2. No idea.

3. No idea.

4. Hoyte.

5. Deportivo

6. Helder

7. Stuart Pearce's testimonial? Aye

8. Tommy? Aye, Tomi

9. Emre & Martins

10. Coco v Yeading

11. Sibierski

Nah, he wasn't underrated. He simply didn't perform very well for us imo. He was Ok defensively, with a tendency to back off too much instead of going for a tackle or show the attacker onto his weaker foot. He was extremely limited offensively. Whether it was down to him personally or by instruction from the manager is difficult to say, but too much hoofing of the ball aimlessly up the field. At the time (still does I think) it made perfect sense to upgrade him with Debuchy.

Guest Howaythetoon

Aaron Hughes wins that title hands down. Should never have been flogged.

Should never have been flogged and replaced with that drunken crock Craig Moore.

One of my fave unsung heroes, lovely fella too!

Yeah, Aaron Hughes is a great shout. Unfortunately he was needed at RB for the most part while playing for us instead of playing in his favored CB position. He did pretty well for Fulham there after he left us.

Probably underappreciated rather than underrated I guess, just think he gets a bit forgotten about when talking about that Championship season and scored some vital goals the season before and after

Guest Howaythetoon

Of all our players since I’ve been supporting, again I can’t look past Scott Sellars who wasn’t a winger like Gillespie, but a very very intelligent footballer with a great pass on him, terrific energy and discipline and who could have played infield or off a front two. He was massively underrated by Toon fans and the football world in general.

Not by KK though thankfully and he gave KK’s earlier team so much and had he been 21 when he signed he’d have turned into a top-class player for us no doubt. Today he’d be an England regular I’m sure at the height of his game, he’s another who credits KK with making him realise he was a much better player than he or anyone knew or thought and that he enjoyed his football the most while here.

Unfortunately for him, he was no Ginola and KK wanted such a player in there. He could have easily stayed and picked up a wage, but he wanted to play given his age and as much as I’m sure KK would have preferred him to stay, he was a player’s man and would never have wanted a player to sacrifice his own career like that.

Leeds during that era seemed to have had some very underrated players playing for them, Batty although considered a top defensive midfielder, was actually a very good footballer.

Oh and he did score past the mackems Sellars.

I have very fond memories of him and regard him as a top player for us in the time he was here.

Venison was underrated too in terms of what he give us as a character/personality, huge according to those who shared the dressing room with him at the time. That goalie clearance against Luton on the FA Cup I think... shame they knocked us out :lol: Hartson and Oakes looked real prospects then.