Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

I received an e-mail this morning asking me to invest, as I imagine a lot of people did. Have to admit I'm very sceptical, but thought I'd take a further look. Since they're asking for investment now, is there any sort of detailed business plan available anywhere for investors to look at, detailing the source of funding for the club post acquisition, how they plan to convince Barclays or another bank to put up a new working capital facility, and what security will be offered to obtain funding?

There is plenty on the website about the make up of the executive committee, but there doesn't seem to be any detailed financial planning. The Barcelona model works mainly because of the huge income generated, so the club is to an extent not completely reliant on bank funding. NUFC are losing £20m a year at the moment, how will that loss be covered in the first year?

Guest shellshock

I received an e-mail this morning asking me to invest, as I imagine a lot of people did. Have to admit I'm very sceptical, but thought I'd take a further look. Since they're asking for investment now, is there any sort of detailed business plan available anywhere for investors to look at, detailing the source of funding for the club post acquisition, how they plan to convince Barclays or another bank to put up a new working capital facility, and what security will be offered to obtain funding?

There is plenty on the website about the make up of the executive committee, but there doesn't seem to be any detailed financial planning. The Barcelona model works mainly because of the huge income generated, so the club is to an extent not completely reliant on bank funding. NUFC are losing £20m a year at the moment, how will that loss be covered in the first year?

There is a full Q and A section on the website in realtion to the proposed buy out.  At the moment we will be asking peple to deposit 10% of their pledged investment into an escrow account which is set up and handled by a respected city centre local legal firm.  If the buy out does not work then the 10% is refundable.  By all means be secptical, ask the questions, read what NUST has to say, and watch the campaign grow over the coming days, the chron, journal etc will feature full page ads, the website will be updated and reflect whats happening, this is the ultimate protest and the best, most organised, professional, clear and transparent way to remove the current regime.

So, who are the backers?

I'm prepared to put in a few quid to help this movement against the regime!

Love the idea, hope it will work out. Or, if all else fails, then I wish for a mega rich Saudi or something. Just want Ashley OUT!

So, who are the backers?

It sounds pretty clear from the blurb that nobody's actually pledged any funds yet. They're waiting to see what response there is from the fans first.

The whole thing couldn't be more vague if it tried.

There is a full Q and A section on the website in realtion to the proposed buy out.  At the moment we will be asking peple to deposit 10% of their pledged investment into an escrow account which is set up and handled by a respected city centre local legal firm.  If the buy out does not work then the 10% is refundable.  By all means be secptical, ask the questions, read what NUST has to say, and watch the campaign grow over the coming days, the chron, journal etc will feature full page ads, the website will be updated and reflect whats happening, this is the ultimate protest and the best, most organised, professional, clear and transparent way to remove the current regime.

Thanks, I've seen that, although it doesn't seem to give a lot of detail. From what I can see, the aim seems to be to raise £200m, and pay a return of 2%. Begs the question, why pay a return at all? Anyone investing in this could invest elsewhere and get better than 2%, so they're obviously doing it for non-financial reasons, i.e. to help the club, which is great. So surely the sort of people who would put their cash/pension funds towards this would happily agree to foresake what is a fairly minimal return and have it invested back into the club? Is it one of the qualifying conditions for the qualification for SIPP investment?

THe website also doesn't make it clear what the trust policy is to gearing, borrowing at a sustainable level to invest in the club.

I've got a bit of spare cash at the moment and would give it some serious consideration, but not before seeing some detailed funding plans. It mentions on the website that there will be a detailed business model released shortly, surely this should be made available before seeking investment? There also doesnt seem to be any indication of what level of funds will be required for the acquisition to get the go ahead from NUST. I'd be very nervous if the NUST was planning to buy the club when it has only raised £80 - £100m worth of funds, however if it raised £200m then I'd be more confident you could get the club back into the Premier League and cover the inevitable losses as you put in place your business model over a 5 year term. Is there a number where you will/won't go ahead, and wouldn't it be sensible to communicate this to potential investors?

I don't want to come across as picking holes or anything, would love this to work, but there are some key facts missing from the website - this sort of investment should really have a proper information memorandum with more detailed financial information.

Moat is not part. I can safely say this could actually work.

Incidentally why isn't Moat part of it? Has he been approached? Has Shepherd? I would have thought fans with that sort of financial muscle would be ideal investors.

Incidentally why isn't Moat part of it? Has he been approached? Has Shepherd? I would have thought fans with that sort of financial muscle would be ideal investors.

It's been mentioned before that Moat has been approached.

Has it been mentioned whether he's backing the NUST bid?

I think I read somewhere he has been approached but didn't respond/wasn't interested.

Not as far as I know.

I think I read somewhere he has been approached but didn't respond/wasn't interested.

Well, I wish the NUST good luck but if fans with the clout of Moat or Sehpherd can't be persuaded to back the cause the whole premise of wanting a club owned by fans looks like wishful thinking which is unlikely to stand up in the face of cold hard financial reality.

Guest toonlass

Have been looking at the NUST site. On one page it says that the minimum investment is £2500

How does the plan work?

In addition, we will reveal a model that will ensure a long term stable business plan to be implemented by the elected Board, headed by the President.  Initially our investment product is aimed at investors with cash (minimum £2,500) and can include other investment products such as Self Invested Pension Plans at a mimimum transfer of £25,000.

and on another it says minimum investment is £1500.

If you want to invest cash, you would be expected to put 10% down of your proposed investment called Proof of Funds so a minimum investment of £1500 would mean £150 lodged with a local Solicitor.

Have been looking at the NUST site. On one page it says that the minimum investment is £2500

How does the plan work?

In addition, we will reveal a model that will ensure a long term stable business plan to be implemented by the elected Board, headed by the President.  Initially our investment product is aimed at investors with cash (minimum £2,500) and can include other investment products such as Self Invested Pension Plans at a mimimum transfer of £25,000.

and on another it says minimum investment is £1500.

If you want to invest cash, you would be expected to put 10% down of your proposed investment called Proof of Funds so a minimum investment of £1500 would mean £150 lodged with a local Solicitor.

It was originally £2,500 but after asking the fans they've reduced it to £1,500. Seems like the page went live without being amended.

Well, I wish the NUST good luck but if fans with the clout of Moat or Sehpherd can't be persuaded to back the cause the whole premise of wanting a club owned by fans looks like wishful thinking which is unlikely to stand up in the face of cold hard financial reality.

Having read the details on the website, there's a very good reason why Moat/Shepherd won't be involved - its one member one vote - so if you put in £20m you have the same influence over the club as someone who puts in £1,500. This might end up being stumbling block to those with serious money to put in, or on the other hand it might end up being an example of perfect democracy, who knows. :undecided:

I was always under the impression Moat's funding was from backers? They're probably want to own it lock, stock and barrell or not at all. As for Shepherd, I can't imagine him buying into the 'one fan, one vote' ethos. He likes to run a dictatorship.

I admit though, it would've been nice to hear about one or two famous local faces putting a bit of their money in. A Moat or a Wylie.

Having read the details on the website, there's a very good reason why Moat/Shepherd won't be involved - its one member one vote - so if you put in £20m you have the same influence over the club as someone who puts in £1,500. This might end up being stumbling block to those with serious money to put in, or on the other hand it might end up being an example of perfect democracy, who knows. :undecided:

Time to re-read Animal Farm methinks.

Yeah I agree but by the sounds of things they already have a fair few big players involved. I like how anyone can be involved and their money gets put into a pool so that NUST can buy that group of people a vote. Also like how you can buy a vote as a group of people you already know. It looks canny. If it runs the same way as Barca where you vote in a new president of the group every 4 years and he has the final say I think this could really work. The club can already bring in cash of it's own and then with the extra backing from the group I think the club would have more than sufficient funds.

Not sure why people get so het up about NUST, i'm not a member of them and I have made no contribution to the cause at the moment.  But i coming round to the idea. 

There is not going to be a super rich person buying the club like Man city.

It might have to be the fans.

At least some peopel are dping summik instead of sitting on the side lines twisting on about it.

Not sure why people get so het up about NUST, i'm not a member of them and I have made no contribution to the cause at the moment.  But i coming round to the idea. 

At least some peopel are dping summik instead of sitting on the side lines twisting on about it.

To be honest since the relaunch and the announcement of this they seem more professional and I think less people are twisting now ??

It's because it's a bunch of fans being proactive. Don't you know you're officially a twat if give a damn nowadays? Much cooler to sit on the internet and poo-poo every idea that's floated.

Yeah I agree but by the sounds of things they already have a fair few big players involved. I like how anyone can be involved and their money gets put into a pool so that NUST can buy that group of people a vote. Also like how you can buy a vote as a group of people you already know. It looks canny. If it runs the same way as Barca where you vote in a new president of the group every 4 years and he has the final say I think this could really work. The club can already bring in cash of it's own and then with the extra backing from the group I think the club would have more than sufficient funds.

I'm sure i saw something last week where a group of friends/work colleagues can group together and buy a share,  say 10 people put in £250 each or 5 put in £500 etc.  That was something that interested me,  i can't afford the full amount but think with a few mates and brother, dad we can get a couple of grand between us.