Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Seems like his fitness has improved markedly - he’s making sprints and one-twos much more regularly, and for deeper into the ninety minutes.

Looking for one-twos is what I've noticed since the restart, always been a big criticism from me, but his goal was a prime example of what it brings to his game. Done well recently.

The guy has been brilliant of late. Controlling the game consistently now.

The change in the formation has benefited him massively. Has lots of players ahead of him to pop the ball about to now, without having to resort to the 50 yard balls as often.

Defensively he just kind of holds position in midfield now without getting caught out of position which is suffice really, as Hayden beside him and Almiron just infront of him do a ton of work closing down and harrying.

The new contract is looking a really good move now. Really enjoying his performances and I haven't always been sure of him.

He’s our best player at the minute.

He's not though is he? He's doing quite well admittedly but ASM, Fernandez and Dubravka are the cornerstones of it all.

Part of the Shelvey boom and bust cycle is a few canny games where we pick up points, followed by injury and inconsistency and maybe a red card, and a run of ineffective lazy shite performances.

New regime should move him on ASAP.

Part of the Shelvey boom and bust cycle is a few canny games where we pick up points, followed by injury and inconsistency and maybe a red card, and a run of ineffective lazy shite performances.

New regime should move him on ASAP.

When was the last time he was sent off? Seems a long time ago.

Hes been a great signing for us overall, must be said. I think he has improved his petulance and laziness.

For a while it looked like he was finished here at Rafa's final days. Personally would rather see him ahead of Sean Longstaff occupying a position in midfield at any given chance now.

Hes been a great signing for us overall, must be said. I think he has improved his petulance and laziness.

For a while it looked like he was finished here at Rafa's final days. Personally would rather see him ahead of Sean Longstaff occupying a position in midfield at any given chance now.

Same. Both him and Fernandez are our most improved players under Bruce and both looked finished here.

Aside from ASM he’s been our best player since the restart, arguably this season.

Guest neesy111

Shelvey has improved a lot this season, but calling him a great signing is pushing it a bit.  Apart from his debut, he was one of the reasons why we were shit in the season in the season that he joined.

When he gets time to dictate, I don't think it is that outlandish to suggest he is easily a top half player.  Not many see passes like him or have the ability to be accurate like him.  Against Bournemouth and for the most part yesterday, he got a lot of room to operate.  Whenever he is closed down or in games where we're rarely on the ball (so pretty much 90% of this season).  He's a bit of a passenger and a liability at times. 

Seems to be a bit fitter and putting more effort in, mind.  Last two games he's still been up and down the pitch at the end of the 90 minutes.  Him blocking a cross on 89 minutes yesterday was a personal highlight :lol:

I really like him as a player, TBH.  Just seems like a bit of a twat and he is infuriating in some games. 

I think the current setup opens up a lot more room and time for him as ASM and Almiron are afforded more room in forward areas and have to be accounted for. ASM consistently takes multiple defenders out of the game on his runs and Shelvey can get up the pitch and receive the ball with room further up.

The change in formation has really suited everyone really well. No idea why it took the manager so long to try it out.

I think the current setup opens up a lot more room and time for him as ASM and Almiron are afforded more room in forward areas and have to be accounted for. ASM consistently takes multiple defenders out of the game on his runs and Shelvey can get up the pitch and receive the ball with room further up.

The change in formation has really suited everyone really well. No idea why it took the manager so long to try it out.

He did, we got massacred.

Yeah, as a manager you don't just change it for 5 mins and then switch back again.

He's supposed to actually commit to it and you know, maybe coach the team? Afterall it's working now isn't it?

Ridiculous comment.

Yeah, as a manager you don't just change it for 5 mins and then switch back again.

He's supposed to actually commit to it and you know, maybe coach the team? Afterall it's working now isn't it?

Ridiculous comment.

And changing the formation away to an inform Leicester might not have been the right moment

Ridiculous comment.

And changing the formation away to an inform Leicester might not have been the right moment

Oh, absolutely. I find it frustrating how little is expected of the manager man.

For ages he stuck with that previous formation, and even when we played it he didn't even have the sense to have Almiron on the left where he had proven to be so much more productive. He also stopped playing Schar and Lejeune in the back 3, where they are far more important in distributing the ball from the back.

The whole thing was so tedious, and then when he was under pressure for how bad things looked he just blamed the fact it was Rafa's tactics and the players couldn't play any other way.

I mean, how crazy is that man? As a manager moaning about how you weren't culpable because of the previous manager. For goodness sake man.

Ridiculous comment.

:lol:

Rough Monday morning?

I agree - he should commit to it and coach it. Which he seemingly has done now, and it's working.

You asked why it took him so long to try it out. He did try it out. And it fell flat on its arse.

He tried it before, badly, and it didn't work. He's now tried it properly, and it's worked.

Not sure what's "ridiculous" about that.

Ridiculous comment.

Rough Monday morning?

I agree - he should commit to it and coach it. Which he seemingly has done now, and it's working.

You asked why it took him so long to try it out. He did try it out. And it fell flat on its arse.

He tried it before, badly, and it didn't work. He's now tried it properly, and it's worked.

I'm fine :lol:

Changing it one game is not trying it is my point.

Whatever he has supposedly done now could and should have been done previously.

Ridiculous comment.

Rough Monday morning?

I'm fine :lol:

Changing it one game is not trying it is my point.

Whatever he has supposedly done now could and should have been done previously.

Absolutely.

That's why he's not a very good coach.

Glad he's got it working, though.