Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Guest firetotheworks

I think it was a comparison that Ritchie and Nolan were both excellent in the Championship but have quite a lot of limitations playing in the Prem

Not as a second striker he didn't. 12 goals in the Premier League for us that season. Atrocious in midfield obviously.

I think it was a comparison that Ritchie and Nolan were both excellent in the Championship but have quite a lot of limitations playing in the Prem

Not as a second striker he didn't. 12 goals in the Premier League for us that season. Atrocious in midfield obviously.

Completely agree that Nolan was undoubtedly more effective for us in the PL, I was more making a comment of how he'll be remembered in years to come; i.e. "dragged us to promotion superbly, helped us consolidate, moved on as we looked to improve".

• 4 weeks later...
"People talk about not wanting to be in this position again, but that’s naive when you’re talking about the Premier League.

"It’s a frustrating one.

"I understand, and as players you want to achieve great things, but you have to be realistic.

"Other than the top six, every team can be in the relegation mix.

"Everton spent £100m last season, but with ten games to go, they were still in trouble.

"From the top six down, anyone can be in a relegation battle, anyone.

"Whether they get a bad start or a bad run, you have to be realistic."

"The top six or seven might have that bit more, but the rest of the league is so close.

"This year, there’s a little bit more of a gap, but so many clubs can end up in trouble.

"We’re seen as not spending money, but spending money is no guarantee.

"We’re competing.

"We only came up a couple of years ago, and last season we retained our Premier League status.

"Hopefully, this season, if we continue to play like we did at Leicester, we can get a few more points and finish close to where we did last season."