Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

The criticism this lad gets is way over the top. Even from the highlights of the game at the weekend he’s usually involved in some degree with anything good we do but it’s overshadowed by his lack of cutting edge in the final third. I don’t think it’s much of a surprise that when he’s playing well we usually win and the opposite if he isn’t. That 10 position seems to be critical to Rafa’s system working but he simply doesn’t have an alternative to Ayoze.

For what it’s worth I don’t think he’s good enough to be relied upon but I can’t think of a single example where a home crowd has turned on a player as much and it’s resulted in a positive outcome. We know who’s to blame.

Jeering him when he was subbed off was absolutely shameful. Really embarrassed by our support on Saturday.

yeah, but at least they supported the team and didnt get involved with the stupid 11 minute protest thing....oh wait.

I think it's at the point now where he needs to be taken out of the team, when fans are (wrongly) reacting like that it won't take much to turn it into a really toxic atmosphere. The problem as ever is who comes in for him??

I was there on Saturday and he was dreadful, you can forgive lack of ability, pace etc but his body language is appalling, half hearted runs when closing people down, begging for free kicks off the ref when it's a perfectly good challenge. The most frustrating thing is when he gets the ball in a good position you know he's going to lose it, it happened on so many occasions I actually lost count.

Only thing you can say is our 3 or 4 best chances fell to him so he's not hiding but each one reeked of a player who is struggling and has zero confidence. Rewind a few years to that backheel vs WBA and you would think it's a completely different player.

I think it's at the point now where he needs to be taken out of the team, when fans are (wrongly) reacting like that it won't take much to turn it into a really toxic atmosphere. The problem as ever is who comes in for him??

i don't think he'd have been starting anymore had muto not been injured

i don't think he'd have been starting anymore had muto not been injured

Was he injured I'm sure Benitez said he was fit although I agree he probably would not have started but why was he not on the bench

I was there on Saturday and he was dreadful, you can forgive lack of ability, pace etc but his body language is appalling, half hearted runs when closing people down, begging for free kicks off the ref when it's a perfectly good challenge. The most frustrating thing is when he gets the ball in a good position you know he's going to lose it, it happened on so many occasions I actually lost count.

Only thing you can say is our 3 or 4 best chances fell to him so he's not hiding but each one reeked of a player who is struggling and has zero confidence. Rewind a few years to that backheel vs WBA and you would think it's a completely different player.

It’s an interesting dilemma - withdraw him and potentially devastate his shredded confidence, or play through it and absorb crowd hostility (as well as the impact on the team) until he finds form.

It’s also true that possibly his best attributes - the technique and vision to see those flicks and six-yard finishes - have deserted him with his form and confidence.

Perez still shite, always has been. Weak as piss.

Biggest weak link in our team.

Absolutely criminal we didn't invest in better full-backs and a new 10 this summer, we'd be a much better and balanced side. Perez has 1 goal and one assist in 14 games so far and contributes very little otherwise. Can't hurt to give Muto a chance for a few games.

He definitely needs dropping for a few games, it's not like he cost us a fortune and we need a return on the fee.  He's beyond shit and playing anyone else would be preferable.  Maybe he needs a bit of focused coaching to get him to stay on his feet and play for the team.  Maybe a bit of time in the reserves to get his confidence back.  Either that or accept any bid for him in Jan.  He needs to hit the reset button on his career for his own good and ours.  He's seriously hurting the team.

I've been one of his biggest critics but it's not his fault he's the number 10 and shouldn't get boo'd.

Apart from his first 4-5 months here. At a PL level he's consistently been pap for us and has consistently played through it. It's just now the boo boys have targeted him.

Samething happened with Sissoko. He played more or less to a similar standard when he was being "Pardewed", over-rated, then worse than shit. He was performing to similar levels except perceptions had changed.

Did well at the back end of last season

That's true but so did everyone. Kenedy's regressed worse imo. Ritchie's dipped etc.

I think Perez could be a decent proper striker off the bench. But he is what he is. 1.5m punt from the Spanish second division. The dangermen at the likes of Everton and West Ham - teams we should compete with - cost £30 to £50m. That's the gulf in class.

Did well at the back end of last season

That's true but so did everyone. Kenedy's regressed worse imo. Ritchie's dipped etc.

I think Perez could be a decent proper striker off the bench. But he is what he is. 1.5m punt from the Spanish second division. The dangermen at the likes of Everton and West Ham - teams we should compete with - cost £30 to £50m. That's the gulf in class.

Totally agree.  You get what you pay for unfortunately for us, and with the FCB in charge, we are only going to get Lee Cooper and Firetrap rather than Ferrari or Rolex.

Such a shame about Richie though, there is definitely a good player there, but he's regressed so much for some reason.

Can you change the title to the correct pronunciation please its confusing.

It should read Ayothe Pereth. Confirmed by the commentator using it again tonight.

After the Almiron incident, Rafa has clearly briefed the press on how to pronounce Spanish names