Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Given how we’ve got 0 points from 9 when we’ve done it Bruce’s way, and 15 from 27 when we’ve reverted to the system Rafa left us, don’t think I’d be wrong to say we’d be at least 5th had Benitez stayed on with this squad.

He built Bruce a team with a very solid foundation in 3-4-2-1 that’s for sure.

I wonder where we’d be if Bruce had to coach/play his own formation all season and didn’t have a formation he could use that the majority of the players had been so well coached in by a world class coach.

Says a lot that the players begged Bruce to go back to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Linked with West Ham today

Would proper sort West Ham out. They have some good players but are sooooooooo inconsistent.

I genuinely couldn't believe how bad they were against us :lol:

I know  :lol:

The thing is, they can beat some big teams at home, and they can sometimes go on a decent run. But obviously at times they are shite aswell.  :lol:

be interesting to see if he'd walk out after agreeing his project, i can't see it myself

compo for him would be fucking mental as well

Only possible reason would be he he really wants to be in England, but I would be surprised as well. He gave up the job here knowing full well that he was giving up being in the north of England when he signed up in China. I reckon if there's any interest it's coming from West Ham rather than Benitez himself.

He'll stay for his contract in China, surely.

Rafa Benitez hasn’t jumped ship during a season in 20 years so it would certainly be out of character.

He normally likes to finish the job he started then move when his contract runs out however the communication difficulties of managing in China must be very frustrating for him.

Their season actually finishes in a few weeks so that might play a part if a good European club comes up.

He'll stay for his contract in China, surely.

You'd think so. He's been very complimentary about his employers over there and that appears genuine imho.

If he's not walking out on a duplicituous cunt like Ashley, I doubt he'd leave these guys in the lurch.

History would indicate he'd honour his contract and then come back.

....to us, under new owners. and we win the fucking league.

Take off the league win and change it to 'top half' and it's still the dream tbh.

From Rafa Benitez to Steve Pissing Bruce and the rest of the world keeps spinning like that's a totally normal and acceptable thing. FML.

He needs to get out as soon as he can mind. Languishing mid table in a shite league isn't what he wants to be doing.

he'll see breaking the big 3 over there as an achievement i reckon

He said in his interview the other day that the Wanda group are planning on spending big in January to challenge next season.

They might be planning on signing someone like Bale in January as Rafa Benitez worked with him at Real Madrid.

:kasper: :kasper:  :kasper: :kasper:

https://theathletic.co.uk/1374204/2019/11/20/if-i-was-guilty-why-did-they-pay-me-an-evening-with-allardyce-the-night-after-he-ignored-invite-to-englands-1000th-game/

Previous consortiums attempting to take over Bolton and relieve their financial issues, with Allardyce taking on a director of football role, “didn’t feel right”. There was also the offer from Newcastle to return following Rafael Benitez’s summer departure, and other offers from abroad.

“I suppose I’m semi-retired because it’s me turning the jobs down,” says Allardyce. “If there isn’t one that pops up this year, that might be finally it. But you never know — somebody might want saving again.”

:kasper: :kasper:  :kasper: :kasper:

https://theathletic.co.uk/1374204/2019/11/20/if-i-was-guilty-why-did-they-pay-me-an-evening-with-allardyce-the-night-after-he-ignored-invite-to-englands-1000th-game/

Previous consortiums attempting to take over Bolton and relieve their financial issues, with Allardyce taking on a director of football role, “didn’t feel right”. There was also the offer from Newcastle to return following Rafael Benitez’s summer departure, and other offers from abroad.

“I suppose I’m semi-retired because it’s me turning the jobs down,” says Allardyce. “If there isn’t one that pops up this year, that might be finally it. But you never know — somebody might want saving again.”

He wants another easy ‘destroy and exit’ payday

If you’re a club who shouldn’t really be in relegation trouble but are after 10-15 games then Allardyce is the obvious appointment. He’s just running out of clubs that he’s not been at who match that description now. Could maybe see Watford looking at him in a month or so, Flores has been a disaster on his return.