Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I don’t get that howay haway thing, absolutely meaningless.

Meaningless, but Sunderland supporters adopted a "Haway" chant, just to be different from us.

Who cares about them? But that's why it has happened.

I don’t get that howay haway thing, absolutely meaningless.

Aye, both were used interchangeably by both sets of fans until about the 90’s when Sunderland fans had to distinguish themselves from us and opted on using only one and claiming we couldn’t use that.

This has been done to death. “Haway” was once as common as “Howay” amongst Toon fans. Some modern fans still use it.

There are reasonably recent photos of banners at St James Park with “Haway” the lads

EDIT: NPW, plus Stifler beat me to it :thup:

This has been done to death. “Haway” was once as common as “Howay” amongst Toon fans. Some modern fans still use it.

There are reasonably recent photos of banners at St James Park with “Haway” the lads

EDIT: NPW, plus Stifler beat me to it :thup:

Anyone who grew up on Tyneside knows that both phrases are used interchangeably within our vocabulary, even without the associations to football. In fact Haway is used more often than Howay. When you use it in an impatient context as it’s mostly designed for, it is spoken so fast and with a thick accent that you often can’t distinguish if Haway or Howay was said.

In my opinion the whole debate about who says it which way is done by people who have never used the phrases in it’s true meaning and are wanting to start a debate over it for the sake of a debate or the pointless attempt to lay claim over it.

To think I was actually happy that day but I did think they fucked Fat Fred over at the time.

Fat Fred was an awful chairman, but we had probably been spoiled by having Hall's hand on the tiller before that. Even then, the best thing about Hall was he trusted Keegan to make the right calls. I never thought I would say it, but Ashley made Freddie look like a great chairman in hindsight. At least he had some personal attachment to the club, even if he was skimming a bit off the top.

Guest awaymag

We say it haway where I come from in Northumberland, definitely :)

I live in Northumberland, Alnmouth.  So Howay or Haway but actually hadaway and shite! :-)

Who gives a fuck though, really?

The mackems, probably

In a post, on a Newcastle forum, with an active debate on it :lol:

I couldn't give a shite either way, but

Its howeh/haweh anyway

:thup:

I received a text message from Wullie[/member] while I was at work, informing me of the deal and telling me he’d just done a little “jig of delight” around his living room. :lol:

Don’t think he’s ever allowed himself to feel joy again. Lesson learned.

:lol:

One thing I like with Ashley's tenure. He sacked Fat fucking Sam instead of having to hire him. Thank God.

Tried to get him last summer before Bruce.

That was the media getting 5 again. Allerdyce said his agent asked him if he was interested & he said no.

So I am the most relaxed about the takeover happening in a long while.  I think it will be Thursday next week (28th) when the announcement is made (just a hunch).  Most of the papers are either quiet or aligned to the takeover happening.  I wonder if the mail/times will do one more scare story for the Sunday headlines, just to get the clicks etc?

Anyway, this time next week we will hopefully have new owners and are recovering from the 'cans' extravagance of the past few days.  Really looking forward to hearing Amanda speak and start to share some plans for the future!!

Haway the Lads!

Cant wait to hear what she has to say. The first questions I would love to ask her is, why Newcastle and why she didn't give up and go after another club. I think she would have been within her rights to after Ashley called her out as a time waster.

So I am the most relaxed about the takeover happening in a long while.  I think it will be Thursday next week (28th) when the announcement is made (just a hunch).  Most of the papers are either quiet or aligned to the takeover happening.  I wonder if the mail/times will do one more scare story for the Sunday headlines, just to get the clicks etc?

Anyway, this time next week we will hopefully have new owners and are recovering from the 'cans' extravagance of the past few days.  Really looking forward to hearing Amanda speak and start to share some plans for the future!!

Haway the Lads!

Cant wait to hear what she has to say. The first questions I would love to ask her is, why Newcastle and why she didn't give up and go after another club. I think she would have been within her rights to after Ashley called her out as a time waster.

Why not us? 8-9th most successful team in England and an owner open to offers. She went for Liverpool originally but owners were difficult to deal with.

Haway the Lads!

Why not us? 8-9th most successful team in England and an owner open to offers. She went for Liverpool originally but owners were difficult to deal with.

Sorry, I didn't mean in a negative way. I think what i meant to say was, I want to hear what attracted her to us (The good stuff).

Haway the Lads!

Honestly think a lot of people don't appreciate how much of an impact Newcastle has on those who live further inland. It's just like the total opposite of London, not just in geography, but in general outlook. That's not to diss London either, plenty of people love it, and it's the capital city for a reason, but Newcastle has a bit more of a local feel to it.

Amanda probably has a lot of affinity for Liverpool because it is very tribal in a lot of ways, and Newcastle is similar. If you want to build a special football club which will have clout all around the world, Newcastle is as good as any for many reasons which we've been over before.

Haway the Lads!

Because she's a massive mag man!