Cal Roberts

xLiaaamx

Guest Howaythetoon

Our academy is quite good at producing players for other clubs.

But ultimately shit at producing shit players for us which is kind of the whole point of having one, or should be.

But ultimately shit at producing shit players for us which is kind of the whole point of having one, or should be.

It’s a step in the right direction though. I’d rather the Lower leagues be littered with our former youth players than seeing none at all. It’s canny to keep an eye out for them if nothing else.

It’s a step in the right direction though. I’d rather the Lower leagues be littered with our former youth players than seeing none at all. It’s canny to keep an eye out for them if nothing else.

Sorry mate, looks like you've been Ashley'd.

• 1 month later...

Given our recent history of giving away our youngsters for f*** all and them turning out to be decent, I think I’d keep him s big longer and get him out on loan.

I'm being thick, I can't think of any other examples other than Mbabu?

Given our recent history of giving away our youngsters for fuck all and them turning out to be decent, I think I’d keep him s big longer and get him out on loan.

I think Longstaff’s success presents the stronger argument for giving Roberts a shot. Beyond Mbabu, have any of our recent former youngsters amounted to much? Armstrong and Toney are playing in League One, Adam Campbell in League Two. Lubo Satka broke into the Slovak national team last year, I guess that counts for something.

I’m not saying they have to be premiership quality, but consider a decent championship player can cost £10m these days we probably let our youth go too soon.

Mbabu is the standout, but abeid, satka, Armstrong, kadar could have done a job filling in gaps or out on loan ready to sell at a good profit to buy a squad player later down the line. Gillihead and Tonry doing well at league one as well. Just takes half a good season out on loan in the championship and a player is worth a decent edge around that age.

Potential is the hardest thing to judge in football unless it’s glaringly obvious. Suppose we can’t keep them all.

I’m not saying they have to be premiership quality, but consider a decent championship player can cost £10m these days we probably let our youth go too soon.

Mbabu is the standout, but abeid, satka, Armstrong, kadar could have done a job filling in gaps or out on loan ready to sell at a good profit to buy a squad player later down the line. Gillihead and Tonry doing well at league one as well. Just takes half a good season out on loan in the championship and a player is worth a decent edge around that age.

Potential is the hardest thing to judge in football unless it’s glaringly obvious. Suppose we can’t keep them all.

If they can get this loan manager appointment right, it will go a long way towards getting the most out of our academy players, and therefore getting a better sense of whether they are going to "make it" or not.

I'm curious whose idea the loan manager was. Can see it appealing to Ashley's greed, but I wouldn't have thought he'd be the origin of the idea - and if I believe it was Rafa's idea, then I might start thinking Rafa's staying, and I'm not ready for that kind of heartbreak, so it obviously wasn't Rafa's idea.