Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

There was a point in the game where the ball was cleared out, maybe after we had a corner, he was 3 yards from the ball, their player 8 yards from it and he backed off to let their player get it. Couldn’t believe what I was watching.

This sort of thing is happening a lot, but not just with Longstaff. The primary aim seems to be to keep behind the ball rather than challenge and risk getting beaten. Overall, we don't press teams. It's amazing how much time and space we give to the opposition to knock the ball around in our half.

The issue with a press is that even if the first player doesn't get the ball, the opponent may get rushed into a hasty pass, and then the second player may have a better chance of getting it. So you need everyone to press collectively, or it's barely worth bothering. And we have too many slow players to make that work, so we opt for caution.

Longstaff is the last midfield player that I would drop, because he is still developing, can pick a pass, and he does get into the opposition box. But he would benefit greatly from players with pace around him.

I don't think he was as bad on Saturday as he has been at times this season.

Playing him in a 2 with Shelvey is basically surrendering midfield though. No mobility or press at all and Fulham's average midfield just took the piss out of them.

He's not a #10 and he's not a deep-lying midfielder... I see him as a very, very poor man's Frank Lampard.

I don't think he was as bad on Saturday as he has been at times this season.

Playing him in a 2 with Shelvey is basically surrendering midfield though. No mobility or press at all and Fulham's average midfield just took the piss out of them.

He's not a #10 and he's not a deep-lying midfielder... I see him as a very, very poor man's Frank Lampard.

Yeah, I'd agree with all of this except that 'very, very poor' bit.

They do have similar strengths, but Lampard had a maturity about him from an early stage. Longstaff often looks a bit nervous and unconfident, like he's still the kid amongst men. At some stage, and I hope it's soon, he'll develop that self-assurance that a player in that position really needs. And he probably needs a really good midfield anchor man behind him to free him up.

Although they play poorly more often than not it's not any of the younger players fault.  What is the framework that they play in?  Are they assigned specific functions and drilled to carry out those function and then held accountable?  Or are they just put on the pitch to roll up their socks and do the best they can?

He's not a great athlete but Longstaff looks slower if he's indecisive because he hasn't been drilled correctly

There was a point in the game where the ball was cleared out, maybe after we had a corner, he was 3 yards from the ball, their player 8 yards from it and he backed off to let their player get it. Couldn’t believe what I was watching.

Found it. 5th minute of the game if anyone's interested in watching it back :lol:

He also lost out in the opening 15 seconds in an aerial challenge which led to Mitrovic getting a shot on target. Weak as piss. He may well have been one of the players with COVID but my god has he been utter shit. Was shit before COVID and ever since he came back from his injury in March '19.

He's been well and truly found out like. Not good enough for this level. Mind, playing alongside Shelvey doesnt help him like. Somewhat similar players with similar weaknesses.

Except that he was good enough for this level when playing alongside Hayden during the last half of the 2018-19 season under Rafa.  He's been Bruced, and as a result lost his confidence (and maybe some of his motivation too.)

He's been well and truly found out like. Not good enough for this level. Mind, playing alongside Shelvey doesnt help him like. Somewhat similar players with similar weaknesses.

Except that he was good enough for this level when playing alongside Hayden during the last half of the 2018-19 season under Rafa.  He's been Bruced, and as a result lost his confidence (and maybe some of his motivation too.)

It’s basically bad coaching - he’s got talent but sadly for him when Rafa went, so did his potential to have a really good career

Longstaff started 8 league games in 18/19. He made 9 appearances. Hardly the last half. Since he came back from injury for the first game of last season he's been, on the whole, shit. Those 8 games, while under Rafa, are starting to look like a purple patch ever more.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on this plodders performance? I thought he put in one of the worst displays I have seen from a NUFC player for a while, ambling about with no urgency or effort and running in slow motion as well as passing to the other team. Horrendous player

Bit hyperbolic, but generally yes, he was poor. I'm not so sure he will make it in the championship tbh, he has okay technique when it comes to striking a ball but nothing else. Can't run, pass, tackle, protect possession, play in tight spaces, carry the ball... basically all the attributes important for a central midfielder.