Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Blyth's travelling next season will probably be the lowest in years. There will always be a few long treks, but getting as many shorter journeys makes a huge difference, especially when it comes to rearranged games due to weather / cup clashes which always pile up as the season goes on.

Wonder if Blyth or Spennymoor or Darlington will play Gateshead on boxing day and new years day

Blyth's travelling next season will probably be the lowest in years. There will always be a few long treks, but getting as many shorter journeys makes a huge difference, especially when it comes to rearranged games due to weather / cup clashes which always pile up as the season goes on.

Wonder if Blyth or Spennymoor or Darlington will play Gateshead on boxing day and new years day

I would imagine it’ll be blyth vs Gateshead, spennymoor vs Darlington.

Recent seasons it’s been blyth v spenny. Darlo v York.

Blyth seem to have lost most of their first team squad going off their Twitter feed. Cost of overachieving I guess.

The board have also cut the budget which is why Armstrong and half the team signed for Darlington.

Aye, I read a while back saying last season was unsustainable any further which is fair enough.

The story goes that Armstrong didn't give players with one-year options the letter confirming they'd be taken up or the letters confirming non-contract players would be retained, presumably because he was already going to Darlo and that made it easier for him to re-sign them one he popped up there.

In terms of fixtures, unlike the NPL- where clubs volunteer Christmas / Easter fixtures to the league by mutual agreement then other games are fitted around those, the Conference just mandate a double header at Christmas and NY. I don't think they even do anything special for Bank Holiday games.

The story goes that Armstrong didn't give players with one-year options the letter confirming they'd be taken up or the letters confirming non-contract players would be retained, presumably because he was already going to Darlo and that made it easier for him to re-sign them one he popped up there.

In terms of fixtures, unlike the NPL- where clubs volunteer Christmas / Easter fixtures to the league by mutual agreement then other games are fitted around those, the Conference just mandate a double header at Christmas and NY. I don't think they even do anything special for Bank Holiday games.

It's really sad to see with Blyth, but as Disco[/member] quite rightly says, it's the cost of their fantastic season last year (along with their sensible approach to sustainability - though I'm not sure the fans will see it that way if they have a poor season this time round). They have signed a lot of lads from Newcastle Benfield in NL1 and it could be a big tough task for them to adjust to three levels higher but it's an excellent opportunity for them all the same. Lee Clark has a big job on his hands there.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but Dan Maguire signed for York City yesterday, moving into full-time football. Bad blow for Blyth but can't blame him for wanting to give it a try.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but Dan Maguire signed for York City yesterday, moving into full-time football. Bad blow for Blyth but can't blame him for wanting to give it a try.

Ex-Blyth keeper Pete Jameson has now also been confirmed as following Dan Maguire into full-time football at York City.

Seen Tweets from Gateshead, Hebburn & Whickham plugging season tickets this evening. Good on them.

Aye, likewise Heaton Stan and Benfield. Even 20-30 on the gate makes a huge difference at that level.