England

Yorkie

Can't really argue with his comment or Modric's yesterday, they're both right.

We did bypass the midfield entirely yesterday playing shit football for the majority and Croatia picked us off at ease in the end. Modric's yesterday was also perfectly reasonable, the narrative was that Croatia would be knackered and our younger, fitter squad to have the better of them. Lol, it was exactly the opposite, they were fitter and more hungry than us. Not to mention more tactically organised. They're making accurate assessments of the game/their opposition, get owa it.

We didn’t know how to respond to them coming out after the break after noncing them in the first half. The side is massively different to what we’ve seen previously

Felt like we allowed them to tbh, we sat back and it allowed them to gain control and we never really recovered. It's probably the thing the pissed me off more than anything else.

We did bypass the midfield entirely yesterday playing shit football for the majority and Croatia picked us off at ease in the end. Modric's yesterday was also perfectly reasonable, the narrative was that Croatia would be knackered and our younger, fitter squad to have the better of them. Lol, it was exactly the opposite, they we're fitter and more hungry than us. Not to mention more tactically organised. They're making accurate assessments of the game/their opposition, get owa it.

What you running up their arses for? :lol:

We hoofed it loads in the 2nd half, aye, but suggesting this England side isn’t different is not an accurate assesment.

We did bypass the midfield entirely yesterday playing shit football for the majority and Croatia picked us off at ease in the end. Modric's yesterday was also perfectly reasonable, the narrative was that Croatia would be knackered and our younger, fitter squad to have the better of them. Lol, it was exactly the opposite, they we're fitter and more hungry than us. Not to mention more tactically organised. They're making accurate assessments of the game/their opposition, get owa it.

Would our players have slagged the Croatians off if we'd won? It's pathetic and I hope France smash them to bits.

We didn’t know how to respond to them coming out after the break after noncing them in the first half. The side is massively different to what we’ve seen previously

Felt like we allowed them to tbh, we sat back and it allowed them to gain control and we never really recovered. It's probably the thing the pissed me off more than anything else.

It's a consistent theme with England in tournament big games, we start well, take the lead then get the fear, sit back and let them back into it, Colombia was the same, even Sweden threatened to get back on level terms and we needed Pickford to stop them before Alli headed in. Sven's team used to do it all the time, notably against Brazil in WC 2002 and Portugal in Euro 2004.

We don't seem to have the confidence to stay on the front foot and kill a game off.

Was Perisic's goal a shot or a finish, btw?

[emoji38] it was both mate. Bit too casual for my tastes though, like Perez.

I criticised Iniesta's shooting. Clearly this isn't about finishing. Clearly there can be a distinction between them. Clearly you're a donkey.

Yes you criticized a player's shooting a KEY component of being good at finishing.  You de facto have to be good at shooting to be good at finishing. Good shots go in, because they are good. I can't beleive I'm actually having this discussion, its completely ridiculous. Shooting isn't just hitting a ball, its directing it. People who aren't good at shooting don't score goals. I'm out though, this is ludicrous.

Load of drivel. Yes, do fuck off. [emoji38]

You're a fucking moron like.

No, it's you. :lol: You take the online world way too seriously - get a grip. :lol:

What you running up their arses for? :lol:

We hoofed it loads in the 2nd half, aye, but suggesting this England side isn’t different is not an accurate assesment.

Because I don't think it's a harsh or unreasonable a comment at all. He's saying once they put us under pressure we resorted to hoofing it long. That's exactly what happened. Sure we've played a different system this World Cup and it hasn't been business as usual for England at times. But last night they got their first proper test against an equally strong squad and we ran out of ideas fast.

Would our players have slagged the Croatians off if we'd won? It's pathetic and I hope France smash them to bits.

I don't know, perhaps - but let's not make this a nationality thing. Deeney's remarks towards Arsenal last season? I'm sure Lascelles also criticised the opposition post-match at some point last season despite having won.

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s right like.

He is in a way, but the point he seems to be missing is that we have tried to change that and had some success, getting to a semi-final because of changing the way we play. We did revert back to type and for me that’s because it’s in our DNA kick and rush football and that will take more than our elite academies, the PL, tournaments like this and even talent to fully eradicate because kids are still playing kick and rush football, pressured to win games, leagues, tournaments and cups as young as 5. And as long as traits like height, strength, speed, running and power are considered a must have at youth level we will struggle to produce players like Modric who is a genius and the best player on the pitch last night.

Had he wore an England top last night we would have won and we need to take a long hard look at kids’ football at grassroots level. It’s all good and well improving things at that level in the professional game, which we have, which is now starting to bear fruit with players like Kane and co emerging, but that’s not where kids learn to play at the beginning when they become interested in football.

Gazza believes that today, he would get overlooked because he was a slow, podgy, undisciplined show boater, the type of kid who at a youth team footy club wouldn’t make it beyond trials.

Watch an under 7s game in our country and then go and watch the equivalent in say Italy or Spain, it’s like they are playing a different sport.

I feel even if we continued to change how we play and got better tactically and at penalties and our players become more experienced, we will always fall short at this level in such games like last night unless we change how we play the game at youth level outside of club academies.

I will take the kind of baby but critical steps Southgate and the players have taken in the last 12 months however, regardless. Because it gives us a chance at least. 4-4-2, long balls, egoes, big name managers, round pegs in square holes and picking players based on reputation and club hasn’t helped us at all in over 2 decades.

Again I’m proud of the manager and players and this is a set-up I can get behind and support and long may it continue. It’s all about building on this success now and not letting it become a moment like Italia 90 did or Euro 96 where we didn’t kick on. Let it be the start of something.

We clearly need a magician type in midfield like a Modric and a leader at CB because we lacked that last night.

The midfield needs looked at as well.

But that doesn’t take away from those that played and did the country proud.

We have shown we are a good team, with lots of potential and we have shown we have players of good character, attitude, humility and a desire to learn and work hard for a common cause and that’s down to the manager IMO.

Literally about two pundits said Croatia might be tired because of playing 120 mins twice. I guess we should hold off on football discussion in the media in case Luka gets his feelings hurt again.

:lol: I'm sorry... have you actually been in touch with all of what the pundits have been saying out there? This includes the mainstream media as well as the 'obscure' ones. If yes, then you must have spent a lot of time during the past few days staring at screens. :lol:  (And even so, I doubt you bothered to see what the 'less' known pundits had to say about this match.)

What makes you think that the Croatian players' 'main' outlet of media is the same ones that you watch? It really is not that hard to expect that they might not have been watching/reading the same content as you.

Literally about two pundits said Croatia might be tired because of playing 120 mins twice. I guess we should hold off on football discussion in the media in case Luka gets his feelings hurt again.

:lol: I'm sorry... have you actually been in touch with all of what the pundits have been saying out there? This includes the mainstream media as well as the 'obscure' ones. If yes, then you must have spent a lot of time during the past few days staring at screens. :lol:  (And even so, I doubt you bothered to see what the 'less' known pundits had to say about this match.)

What makes you think that the Croatian players' 'main' outlet of media is the same ones that you watch? It really is not that hard to expect that they might not have been watching/reading the same content as you.

The vast majority of which was a blatant pisstake.

Unless your money nabout people just saying we can beat Croatia, which we can.

that quote is correct but to be honest my issue with the way we played once they took control was that it was aimless long ball, said before the tournament he'd not be able to play that way the entire time and should have a plan to revert to a tight system that can play on the break a la peak leicester when necessary...not aimless long panic balls but targetted direct passes into the channels to work their back line with the pace of vardy/sterling/rashford etc.

he chose to stick to the same system and it feel apart, he deserves a lot of credit for that imo but i hope he learns from it as we're not going to outplay every team all the time

The vast majority of which was a blatant pisstake.

Unless your money nabout people just saying we can beat Croatia, which we can.

Just making up excuses now. :jesuswept:

It wasn’t an assesment of the game, it was a blatant dig that was hapf accurate unless he’s been misquoted. He’s been watching too much WWE

It's not really half accurate from his perspective though is it? He played England once and they spent a large portion of the game playing poor football. You can forgive him for thinking this 'new-look' England he was expecting was a load of nonsense.

Is that what Croatia have been doing with their time like, watching English football coverage?

Among the Croatian players who featured at the Luzhniki Stadium was the former Tottenham and Manchester City full-back Vedran Corluka, who came on for Mandzukic in extra-time.

The 32-year-old was asked to stop for English press in the mixed zone after the match but couldn’t resist taking a dig.

Per the Independent’s Miguel Delaney, Corluka simply smiled and said: ‘It’s not coming home!’ before continuing to walk away.

Is that what Croatia have been doing with their time like, watching English football coverage?

I think that's a question for ManDoon! :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Croatia’s care of the ball and ability to control an occasion which can sap your energy mentally allows them to recover fitness levels and it wouldn’t surprise me if they give France the run around.

Our problem is that we failed to control the game and occasion and become headless chickens chasing and rushing around which is another bad habit of our football culture that doesn’t do us any good.

I felt really sorry for the players and Southgate as we reverted back to almost everything the new set up has tried to step away from, things that got us this far and then in the big game we choke.

They are young though and Southgate must keep hammering home how he wants us to play because the signs are there of an emmerging confident team based on that. He needs to find one or two answers to questions asked last night though.

Creativity in midfield and leadership at the back for example and if Deli Ali is to become a top player for England and indeed Sterling, I think he may have to find new roles for them because I don’t think it’s working all too well for them in this system. And if he can’t or they continue to kind of struggle, bring in players that won’t.

It's a completely reasonable position to take that a team that has played more minutes, in energy sapping KO football, might just be a bit more tired. Modric seems to have taken it so personally, there is no disrespect to point out a pretty obvious an benign fact. They've acted completely ridiculous after the game.

I don't disagree with this, for what it's worth.  They've lacked grace in winning, and that's simply true.  But it's not wrong to point out the negative impression there is of England as a whole from the coverage of our press, and no, not just pointing out they're tired, but they rest of it.  It's coming home, it's our time, talks of the final, our destiny etc.  Fair enough, I get it's us just trying to support our team, but it obviously rubs others up the wrong way.  It has done for decades, this is no new phenomena. 

Per the Independent’s Miguel Delaney, Corluka simply smiled and said: ‘It’s not coming home!’ before continuing to walk away.

There it is. 

Aye, it's snide as fuck and I'm not sticking up for them.  But equally, I just don't like our coverage in general, never have.  It gets obnoxious, over the top.  I won't stick up for them either.

It’s all just a load of bollocks. Did we pay any attention to their media? We already don’t pay much to our own because of the games we know they play. It’s not worth getting worked up over. Modric, corluka etc could’ve just been a bit more gracious in victory instead of being “arrogant like the English”. Modric by the way was not liked in his own country pre-tournament due to his financial dealings... nice to create a common enemy in the English to get his people on his side ...

Guest Howaythetoon

that quote is correct but to be honest my issue with the way we played once they took control was that it was aimless long ball, said before the tournament he'd not be able to play that way the entire time and should have a plan to revert to a tight system that can play on the break a la peak leicester when necessary...not aimless long panic balls but targetted direct passes into the channels to work their back line with the pace of vardy/sterling/rashford etc.

he chose to stick to the same system and it feel apart, he deserves a lot of credit for that imo but i hope he learns from it as we're not going to outplay every team all the time

I’m hopeful that a plan B will come in time. Remember he is still learning himself and the focus when he took over was simply to qualify which we did.

It as only following that did he start changing things and he did say before the tournament he wanted us to play a certain way and won’t deviate from that.

That way if you like too us to the semis and we came up short and a plan b might have saw us overcome that.

He has all the time in the world to work on that and other issues and I think he’s capable of fixing things as he and the players get more experience and the pool,of,players to choose from grows.

This is a work in progress, we are nowhere near the finished article and may never be, but we have taken big strides it cannot be denied.

All that said, Kane puts his chance away and we could be taking England as a Finalst. Fine margins. I hope he sticks with the way we are trying to play though and work on getting better and better at it because it will work as we have shown in this tournament with the players we have.

It's a completely reasonable position to take that a team that has played more minutes, in energy sapping KO football, might just be a bit more tired. Modric seems to have taken it so personally, there is no disrespect to point out a pretty obvious an benign fact. They've acted completely ridiculous after the game.

I don't disagree with this, for what it's worth.  They've lacked grace in winning, and that's simply true.  But it's not wrong to point out the negative impression there is of England as a whole from the coverage of our press, and no, not just pointing out they're tired, but they rest of it.  It's coming home etc.  Fair enough, I get it's us just trying to support our team, but it obviously rubs others up the wrong way.

I thought the majority of the it's coming home stuff was pretty light hearted tbh, but I just don't see how they could have taken such offence to something so minor. Lots of stuff gets talked about in the run up to the games, for every team. To come out after the game with all this is just petty a bit embarassing imo. I'd probably have rooted for them in the final, but now I want to see them get panned

Why are you taking their minor offences so personally? :lol:

They have basically said they weren't tired, England were hoofing and it's not coming home with a smile on his face. Yet you're close to asking for an invasion. :lol: