Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

:thup:

Not for this thread but Dalglish doesn't get enough credit on here for that.

It's impressive what he managed to achieve without f***ing about with Keegan's formula much at all. 

What got us 2nd in the end was dropping Ginola for Elliott, and in the last 4-5 games managed to find a way of making Shearer, Ferdinand & Asprilla work as a 3 (that Forest 5-0 was immense). Think we had about 4 games in 8 days over that period including games at Arsenal & Man Utd and kept 4 clean sheets. Don't think we'd have finished top 2 without Dalglish this season and that's not a criticism of Keegan.

Guest neesy111

Keegan's probably only huge mistake was the scrapping of the reserves.  Lost Carrick because of it.

He spent big on one player, I can't really recall how far we went backwards if at all (I'll have to check) but the main issue with Keegan by that point seemed to me that he completely emotionally spent.  The point about him being in a huff about not having much/any more money to spend is not what I'm disputing, he probably was.  Suffice to say, I disagree with the theory he became worse the more money he was given to spend.

emotionally spent ? possibly, but he never regained the verve he had, more money wouldn't have changed that and he did walk when he realised the cash was coming to an end, probably his best managerial after leaving here was saving us when he came back, better than fulham and citeh where he could outspend the opposition.

we went backwards in that we were in the title chase the season before, till the last game, the shearer signing season we never really clicked, even the man utd 5-0 was a one off and we never looked like winning the title for all we finished runners up (we could easy have finished 4th or 5th on the final day). we weren't as good to watch, as fluid, as dominant, as good!

I still blame Neville breaking Gillespie at Old Trafford for us losing the league. Losing half of the supply line to Sir Les was a killer, and also gave rise to the opportunity to shift Beardsley out wide to fit in Tino.

when he got the big money (shearer) we went backwards and then he left beacause there was no more to spend,

He spent big on other players too before Shearer, Barton was a world record for a defender

KEVIN Keegan has refused to rule out a third spell as Newcastle United boss.

But the former Magpies manager has insisted it will never happen as long as Mike Ashley remains the owner.

When asked if he would consider a third stint as Toon boss, Keegan, who has spent the last four years working as a lead pundit for ESPN, said: “I think the answer to that is, you never know.

“Football clubs are all about people.

“When Sir John Hall rang me and said ‘The two people who can save this club are the ones talking to each other now’, you thought ‘wow’.

“That is a simple thing to say, but actually that’s all you need.

“People say ‘Never go back’.

“But I did go back.”

Keegan though launched a scathing attack on the club’s current regime, and vowed that he will have no interest in the club until the owner has gone.

“The Newcastle club now has no interest on that side, the fans, the team and we talk about it a lot through all my friends and the ex-players I know.

“Until they (owner Ashley and chairman Derek Llambias) leave that football club, it has no interest for me.

“They are not that football club. They are just custodians who are in for a few years.

“It might be five, 10 or six, but Newcastle United will go on after Mike Ashley.”

In an interview with Sky Sports, Keegan outlined how he had at first been excited about working for Ashley.

He said: “I got a phone call from Terry Mac (McDermott), I was up in Glasgow and he said ‘They’d like to talk to you’.

“I went down to talk to them. I quite liked Mike Ashley.

“I though ‘Yeah, this could be good’.

“But no it was a nightmare, an absolute living nightmare.”

The 62-year-old resigned as boss after an argument over transfers.

He later won £2m in compensation having launched a claim in court for what was thought to be £25m.

That angered many fans, but Keegan insists his fight was against the regime not the club.

“In the end it isn’t easy to win a court case or take a club to court,” he added.

“But I didn’t see it as being Newcastle, I saw it as Mike Ashley, Dennis Wise, a guy called Jimenez and Derek Llambias.”

Put on a DVD of Newcastle under Keegan and compare with Newcastle under Pardew and see how far backwards we have gone

You would not need a gap of 17 years to measure the decline. You would only need to put a DVD of us under Dalglish or Gullitt to see that.

Would like to see him manage again somewhere. I wonder if he gets many job offers when positions become available. I do still like the bloke and I'm very grateful for what he has done for this football club. He loves the game and likes to see it played in the right way, it's hard to dislike him.

The years he was here were simply the best i've ever had supporting this club.  We didn't fear anyone.  The football was scintillating, SJP was rocking like i've never heard, we were just fucking good.

If you weren't supporting then you can't imagine it.  Think of going to eastlands today and not only hoping to win but expecting to.  He inspired a team and a city.  He took us from the depths of relegation to division 3 to within a gnats tadger of the title.  We were invincible, we were Newcastle United.

I'd give my right bollock to have that again.

Sad thing is we don't know if there will ever be someone like KK again for this football club.

Doubt it's possible to have that much of an influence in today's financial climate and structure with all the agents in place.

Sad thing is we don't know if there will ever be someone like KK again for this football club.

Doubt it's possible to have that much of an influence in today's financial climate and structure with all the agents in place.

It's unlikely anywhere really, with the changing nature of management. We can hope for someone who is positive and without fear though.

It's unlikely anywhere really, with the changing nature of management. We can hope for someone who is positive and without fear though.

That's half the battle.  Fuck the old boys merry go round and take a chance on someone with some passion for the game.

The years he was here were simply the best i've ever had supporting this club.  We didn't fear anyone.  The football was scintillating, SJP was rocking like i've never heard, we were just f***ing good.

If you weren't supporting then you can't imagine it.  Think of going to eastlands today and not only hoping to win but expecting to.  He inspired a team and a city.  He took us from the depths of relegation to division 3 to within a gnats tadger of the title.  We were invincible, we were Newcastle United.

I actually had a look back at that season as I knew the media version of Keegan having a breakdown after Fergusons mind games and then blowing a 12 point lead is overly simplified bollocks, but it was still all a long time ago now:

Our home form was imperious for the whole season:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWLWWWWD

Away we were consistently average after a gentle run of fixtures at the start where we won the first 4 out of 5:

WWLWWDDDLLWWLDLLLWD

Man U were 12 points behind us before they beat us 2-0 in December. That was the start of a run where they won 15 of their final 19 games. We could match that form at home but KK’s team didn’t ever quite get to that level away from home.

They had 2 class players who had been and done it all at each end of the pitch and I recall they carried them at times:

In the 2nd half of the season Schmichael kept 13 clean sheets, and they won 7 games 1-0. I’ll bet Cantona was the scorer in about 5 of those games as well.

It’s easy to forget how it really panned out in the final couple of months of the season. Heres how it went week by week after that home defeat to that Cantona goal:

1 Newcastle United  28 +26 61

2 Manchester United 29                 +27 60

1 Manchester United 30               +27 61

2 Newcastle United  28               +26 61

1 Newcastle United  29               +29 64

2 Manchester United 30               +27 61

1 Newcastle United    29 +29 64

2 Manchester United  31 +28 64

1 Manchester United  31 +28 64

2 Newcastle United    30 +27 64

1 Manchester United  32 +29 67

2 Newcastle United    31 +26 64

1 Manchester United  33 +30 70

2 Newcastle United    32 +27 67

1 Manchester United  34 +31 73

2 Newcastle United    33 +26 67

1 Manchester United  35 +29 73

2 Newcastle United    34 +27 70

1 Manchester United  36 +30 76

2 Newcastle United    35 +28 73

1 Manchester United  37 +35 79

2 Newcastle United    36 +29 76

2 Newcastle United    37 +29 77

1 Manchester United  38 +38 82

2 Newcastle United    38 +29 78

In Keane’s book he says they knew there was no way back for us after their win at SJP, but looking at that we were right there until the point they stuffed Forest 5-0 in their 37th match of the season. The goal difference that gave them was the first time there was any real daylight between us.

After finally getting a clear advantage Fergie went and wound up the Leeds team, although we actually got a rare win away from home against them.  KK then had his rant after the match and it’s gone down in history as a “meltdown”.  It just didn’t happen like that. Ferguson got a reputation as being a “master of the mind games” off the back of that. I’d hardly call it masterful.

After playing Leeds on Monday night we had to play Forest on the Thursday (while Man U put their feet up) and Woan fired in a 75th min equaliser from miles out. There is not a manager in the game today who would not go beserk about player tiredness in that situation. We then went on to play Spurs on the Sunday, and that turned out to be a dead rubber anyway.

In the end they were slightly better than us, and we were also a bit unlucky, but I genuinely don’t think it’s fair on KK to say he bottled it that year, and I’m certainly not one of those who says he can never do any wrong.

Guest Howaythetoon

The table when Keegan resigned, we were 4th on 38 points, level with Man Utd.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/1996-1997/table/1997-01-11

Look at Wimbledon man!

We had a game in hand over Liverpool and after thrashing Spurs 7-1 and Leeds 3-0 I'm sure we would have went close to the title again, especially if we strengthened in Jan. We had more losses than Man Utd at that point but our form was decent.

The years he was here were simply the best i've ever had supporting this club.  We didn't fear anyone.  The football was scintillating, SJP was rocking like i've never heard, we were just f***ing good.

I actually had a look back at that season as I knew the media version of Keegan having a breakdown after Fergusons mind games and then blowing a 12 point lead is overly simplified bollocks, but it was still all a long time ago now:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWLWWWWD

Away we were consistently average after a gentle run of fixtures at the start where we won the first 4 out of 5:

WWLWWDDDLLWWLDLLLWD

Man U were 12 points behind us before they beat us 2-0 in December. That was the start of a run where they won 15 of their final 19 games. We could match that form at home but KK’s team didn’t ever quite get to that level away from home.

They had 2 class players who had been and done it all at each end of the pitch and I recall they carried them at times:

In the 2nd half of the season Schmichael kept 13 clean sheets, and they won 7 games 1-0. I’ll bet Cantona was the scorer in about 5 of those games as well.

It’s easy to forget how it really panned out in the final couple of months of the season. Heres how it went week by week after that home defeat to that Cantona goal:

In Keane’s book he says they knew there was no way back for us after their win at SJP, but looking at that we were right there until the point they stuffed Forest 5-0 in their 37th match of the season. The goal difference that gave them was the first time there was any real daylight between us.

After finally getting a clear advantage Fergie went and wound up the Leeds team, although we actually got a rare win away from home against them.  KK then had his rant after the match and it’s gone down in history as a “meltdown”.  It just didn’t happen like that. Ferguson got a reputation as being a “master of the mind games” off the back of that. I’d hardly call it masterful.

After playing Leeds on Monday night we had to play Forest on the Thursday (while Man U put their feet up) and Woan fired in a 75th min equaliser from miles out. There is not a manager in the game today who would not go beserk about player tiredness in that situation. We then went on to play Spurs on the Sunday, and that turned out to be a dead rubber anyway.

In the end they were slightly better than us, and we were also a bit unlucky, but I genuinely don’t think it’s fair on KK to say he bottled it that year, and I’m certainly not one of those who says he can never do any wrong.

Awesome post. :clap:

Guest Howaythetoon

Regarding Shearer, he was actually bought for KK that season. No manager was ever going to turn down a player like Shearer being signed. If I remember right, KK was wanting Flowers and Hendry from Blackburn prior to that season.

Guest Howaythetoon

WWWWWWWWWWWWWLWWWWD

WWLWWDDDLLWWLDLLLWD

Fantastic post.

The table when Keegan resigned, we were 4th on 38 points, level with Man Utd.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/1996-1997/table/1997-01-11

Look at Wimbledon man!

We had a game in hand over Liverpool and after thrashing Spurs 7-1 and Leeds 3-0 I'm sure we would have went close to the title again, especially if we strengthened in Jan. We had more losses than Man Utd at that point but our form was decent.

We could've strengthened at any time in them days...I agree with your point by the way.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bloody hell, forgot about that.

That 7-1 game against Spurs man. Shearer destroyed Campbell that day. It remains one of the finest displays from a centre-forward I've ever seen. We could have scored more that day, all this on the back of KK obviously being unhappy and I think we hadn't won in ages prior to that match either.

That's what we could do to teams, absolutely destroy them.

Guest Howaythetoon

Madras, KK was actually best when he didn't have much money to spend. All his best buys for us and Man City were not for big money.