Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

I thing he's a legend but I don't understand this business of wishing he was still in charge now. He did superb for us but his time is past.

In a way yes, only because he isn't a manager who is prepared to work to a budget, so I can understand how it was never going to work under our current set up, and for that reason I don't really blame Ashley too much for the parting of ways. But as a football manager pure and simple, he could come back tomorrow and have this same side in the top 6 next season IMO, playing football Pardew couldn't even contemplate.

Likewise I think a lot of us are here because our introduction to football was that period. How could you not fall in love with football and with NUFC as a 7 year old watching us blow teams away at SJP then meeting the same players at the training ground every so often. It was magical to support us back then.

Turning up to the ground expecting to win regardless of the opposition for 4-5 seasons :smitten:

It's a testament to Keegan (and SBR, but to a lesser extent) that even though Dagleish, Gullit, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear and Pardew have all been our manager in the past 15 years, the club is still in a position to challenge the top clubs if the right owner was found.

The fact that some of our bell-end fans criticise him is astounding. They're not real fans in my eyes, because if they are, they'd know their history. If KK hadn't come in, we could well be playing at a much smaller SJP in a much lower league. Hey, NUFC as we know it may not even exist at all.

Keegan will always be my sporting hero. The man is the best thing to happen to NUFC in my lifetime.

Just watched the interview. I don't think it would have changed anyone's opinion, whether you have him on a pedastal or whether you're a sceptic. It was the same old Kev, an incurable romantic, with all that flows from that.

He'd still be a great manager now imo, no doubt. He connected with players on a personal level through inspiration and you don't lose that. Football's changed but you could have said that when he took over the first time. It's always changing.

He'd still be a great manager now imo, no doubt. He connected with players on a personal level through inspiration and you don't lose that. Football's changed but you could have said that when he took over the first time. It's always changing.

you think so, he became a worse manager the more he got to spend and  couldn't handle it when there was no more to spend.

brilliant coach, better i'd suspect than he'd even give himself credit for.

How did he become a worse manager the more he got to spend?

We finished 6th after having finished 3rd the previous season, he was then given around £15m to spend on Ferdinand, Ginola, Barton and Hislop and brought us closer to the league title than any of us are ever likely to experience again, playing some of the best football we've ever seen.  Better with more backing I'd say.

He spent big on one player, I can't really recall how far we went backwards if at all (I'll have to check) but the main issue with Keegan by that point seemed to me that he completely emotionally spent.  The point about him being in a huff about not having much/any more money to spend is not what I'm disputing, he probably was.  Suffice to say, I disagree with the theory he became worse the more money he was given to spend.

when he got the big money (shearer) we went backwards and then he left beacause there was no more to spend,

The only season he managed Shearer we finished second, same as the season before.

That was half Keegan, half Dalglish, mind.

when he got the big money (shearer) we went backwards and then he left beacause there was no more to spend,

The only season he managed Shearer we finished second, same as the season before.

That was half Keegan, half Dalglish, mind.

Aye KK's team though. Dalglish just had to put the cones out. To be fair, I think we were a shadow of the previous seasons team before he jacked it. And the previous season we were a shadow after christmas of the team we were before christmas. I think Derek Fazackerly leaving for Blackburn at Christmas 96 may have had an effect on all that.

He spent big on one player, I can't really recall how far we went backwards if at all (I'll have to check) but the main issue with Keegan by that point seemed to me that he completely emotionally spent.  The point about him being in a huff about not having much/any more money to spend is not what I'm disputing, he probably was.  Suffice to say, I disagree with the theory he became worse the more money he was given to spend.

emotionally spent ? possibly, but he never regained the verve he had, more money wouldn't have changed that and he did walk when he realised the cash was coming to an end, probably his best managerial after leaving here was saving us when he came back, better than fulham and citeh where he could outspend the opposition.

we went backwards in that we were in the title chase the season before, till the last game, the shearer signing season we never really clicked, even the man utd 5-0 was a one off and we never looked like winning the title for all we finished runners up (we could easy have finished 4th or 5th on the final day). we weren't as good to watch, as fluid, as dominant, as good!

:thup:

Not for this thread but Dalglish doesn't get enough credit on here for that.

It's impressive what he managed to achieve without fucking about with Keegan's formula much at all.  Could have been so much better if he just tweaked Keegan's squad rather than totally blitzing it, if given licence to do so of course. 

I do remember the Barnes/Rush/Pearce signings fucking me off something rotten even though I was only 13. :lol:

emotionally spent ? possibly, but he never regained the verve he had, more money wouldn't have changed that and he did walk when he realised the cash was coming to an end, probably his best managerial after leaving here was saving us when he came back, better than fulham and citeh where he could outspend the opposition.

we went backwards in that we were in the title chase the season before, till the last game, the shearer signing season we never really clicked, even the man utd 5-0 was a one off and we never looked like winning the title for all we finished runners up (we could easy have finished 4th or 5th on the final day). we weren't as good to watch, as fluid, as dominant, as good!

In terms of us not being as fluid my memories are hazy but from what I can recall I suppose I agree.  I think these things can come and go a bit though.

In terms of never looking like winning the title, I suppose you'll have to look at my link and blame Dalglish or something, since we were 5 points off the top when Keegan left in January and on level points with the team that won the league like they normally do, Man Utd.  We never got 12 points clear like the previous season, granted.

We were first for 30 fucking matches man. Still hurts to think about that! Month of Feb, match day 26 for us was when we fell apart too. 5 of our 8 losses came from that point on too.

Guest chopey

Put on a DVD of Newcastle under Keegan and compare with Newcastle under Pardew and see how far backwards we have gone

Guest Bert Shaft

The fact that some of our bell-end fans criticise him is astounding. They're not real fans in my eyes, because if they are, they'd know their history. If KK hadn't come in, we could well be playing at a much smaller SJP in a much lower league. Hey, NUFC as we know it may not even exist at all.

Keegan will always be my sporting hero. The man is the best thing to happen to NUFC in my lifetime.

Well said...  Keegan haters are clueless c*nts.  O0