Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Agree with that. He's not dead, though.

This.

You think about our club and you think about other sports and other organizations within them. You want to support a club that is not defeatist, is positive, and is generally well-run. You want to support a club where the board sees more than just a positive balance sheet and income statement, but sees opportunity and galvanizes the supporters in the city and anyone willing to take notice in the world.

Keegan did that for us every single time, its just shame how much a mess his 2nd stint was for us. Sadly we're still a sleeping giant in the NE of England - Keegan and Bobby saw it and we made memories with them, hopefully we'll get back there some day - and I hope KK somehow is a part of it, would be so fitting and be so typically Keegan-epic-esque.

Imagine this club with new ownership and Keegan in some senior exec role? Place would be fucking buzzing again.

Its just fucking when you think back how ideal the situation seemed at the time. KK came back, we had this billionaire owner who we thought would give KK the backing he required and the fans couldn't have been happier. I remember being absolutely blown away when we were 2-0 up against Sunderland in the home derby in 2008, the whole stadium singing "up the Premier League we go", it was just perfect for a short spell. I won't have anyone convince me KK deserves criticism for his departure from the club.

Hopefully when those arseholes in charge of us piss off somebody will give honour with a statue/stand or something. He fucking deserves it.

Joe Harvey deserves something too btw. :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

The biggest single thing about KK for me was that he made you, the average fan, believe we could achieve absolutely anything as a football club. That we could sign anyone. That we could compete with anyone. That we could be better than anyone. That we could beat anyone.

That whole attitude of his is what drove us to within a whisker of actually being better than everyone. All in 5 years. I'm convinced had we won the league under him, we would have went onto win more and compete seriously for the European Cup on a regular basis, signing the very best and beating the very best.

I'll never forget Sir Les when talking about why he signed for us. He said he had 4 or 5 offers but he said as a striker, you wanna play for KK in that Newcastle side with those fans.

Our brand of football at the time was different and fans all over the country and indeed the world took to it and loved watching us. For 5 brief years KK made following this club of ours, something special. It was fairytale stuff, especially for older fans who had known nowt but absolute dross and disappointment.

If i suddenly became a billionaire and decided to buy the club I would have a chat with Keegan and if we could agree on how things should be he would be manager right away.

If I became a £billionaire- Im only just short of a £billion to get there, I would give KK half a billion and let him get on with it.

Likewise I think a lot of us are here because our introduction to football was that period. How could you not fall in love with football and with NUFC as a 7 year old watching us blow teams away at SJP then meeting the same players at the training ground every so often. It was magical to support us back then.

Likewise I think a lot of us are here because our introduction to football was that period. How could you not fall in love with football and with NUFC as a 7 year old watching us blow teams away at SJP then meeting the same players at the training ground every so often. It was magical to support us back then.

O0 Yep, and as before all of our talent was sold off by the club, it was magic to see us bringing such talent back in....Sir John also deserves a great deal of praise and credit for this.

Guest Howaythetoon

Indeed.

It was actually a great time full stop. Regeneration of Newcastle, me hitting my teens, New Labour, Cool Britannia, Oasis, Blur, Trainspotting, Euro 96...

What really annoys me now is when I speak to some younger fans aged 19-20 who won't be able to remember anything at all really about KK's first time as manager, I've had some right arguments with a few of them about KK. They only remember his brief 2nd spell as manager and I've heard some shite about him being the bottler who left in 97 because he couldn't take the pressure and how he tried to bankrupt the club when he took Ashley to court. I should just bite my tongue but it really fucking winds me up. Its impossible to explain to anyone exactly how good it was under him. I'd let him live with me rent free forever.

What really annoys me now is when I speak to some younger fans aged 19-20 who won't be able to remember anything at all really about KK's first time as manager, I've had some right arguments with a few of them about KK. They only remember his brief 2nd spell as manager and I've heard some shite about him being the bottler who left in 97 because he couldn't take the pressure and how he tried to bankrupt the club when he took Ashley to court. I should just bite my tongue but it really fucking winds me up. Its impossible to explain to anyone exactly how good it was under him. I'd let him live with me rent free forever.

If I got to heaven and god said as a reward you can re-live 5 years of your life.............

That was on here wasn't it? ;)

That was on here wasn't it? ;)

Spoke to lads I know around that age and got that sort of opinion on him, certainly on here as well though aye

I think it's very difficult to say, I'm not sure players are similar to even what they were 10 years ago. I'd love to believe he'd be a very successful manager, but given how much the game, the finances and the player attitudes have changed I'm not so sure. Still love the man to bits and won't have a bad word said about either of his two managerial spells at the club.

I'd not want him as a manager again as I'd rather he seriously be involved in the big picture of our club - but Ron's spot on - he would be very successful. People are crazy if they think he's out of touch with the game. He was perfectly fine until Ashley and Dekka performed the Barrack Road Screwjob on him.

Keegan with a bit of money could be a very successful manager today.

Possibly.

The best part about his second spell here was seeing Given in his second (?!?!) game under Keegan against Arsenal. We lost 1-0 I think but every time Given played it short to one of the defenders. Keegan didn't want to see it hoofed, unlike our manager right now Mr.P...