Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

I wasn't around that time (80's) and don't have a bad word about him to say either.

Looking a bit back into the history books just shows that. Also, his 2nd spell here was enough to show how a good manager he is.

To even try to compare him with Pardew is just laughable.

Those saying KK wasn't a good manager are wrong, each job he took save the England one, he left the club in a significantly better position when he left.

that said, even as england manager he presided over the first competitive defeat of germany since the 1966 world cup final

I'd be very surprised if we saw him again, he looks very beat up from football, i doubt he'd put himself through it again.

I'd agree with that - he certainly didn't have that "zest" second time around, and I genuinely think his experience with Ashley put him through the mill. Simply cannot see him managing again...

Those saying KK wasn't a good manager are wrong, each job he took save the England one, he left the club in a significantly better position when he left.

that said, even as england manager he presided over the first competitive defeat of germany since the 1966 world cup final

With Shearer getting the winner. :thup: Was a rubbish game.

Loves the city loves the people loves the club and still gets hates...saved the club gave us great football to watch and almost won the title...still gets hate.

Odd. Very odd.

Its not so much kk you need to question its the liars in the boardroom

Well said mate.

It absolutely baffles me how any NUFC fan can abuse KK. If he had of turned down SJH's call in 1992 then we might be having our Derby with Gateshead. You just have to look at the state of the club when he took over to what it is now. The ground, the facilities, the training ground, the players all stems from him as manager and SJH's coin.

To hear his passion still now for the club and the city was superb - roll on part 2 next week!

100000% NUFC legend.

Lord knows where we'd be without Kevin Keegan and Sir John Hall.

Exactly. If anyone thinks this club is on its a**e after the bad season we've just had, it's nowhere near the sorry state it was in before keegan came to the club. I'll start with the 1st time round as a player. Here was a world famous, iconic, twice european player of the year who came to play for 2nd division also rans, Newcastle United. His arrival doubled the gates and soon we'd be back in the top flight. It was an honour for such a star to be associated with my club. Then his 1st spell as boss. The club was skint, SJP was in a terrible state, attendances were poor again and we were on the brink of the old 3rd division. Enter KK to save us from the drop and possible extinction. Promotion followed, and the next season we finished top 3 and back in europe for the 1st time in decades. SJP was full, week in, week out. There was a buzz in the city. We became regular top 6 finishers, and the relative success gave the board the confidence that SJP could be, and should be redeveloped to give us the magnificent stadium in which we watch todays passionless dross.

Despite it not working out in his 2nd managerial spell and his ultimate departure, that simply can't undo all he has achieved at NUFC. IMO one of the best people to have ever been with this club.

Lord knows where we'd be without Kevin Keegan and Sir John Hall.

Exactly. If anyone thinks this club is on its a**e after the bad season we've just had, it's nowhere near the sorry state it was in before keegan came to the club. I'll start with the 1st time round as a player. Here was a world famous, iconic, twice european player of the year who came to play for 2nd division also rans, Newcastle United. His arrival doubled the gates and soon we'd be back in the top flight. It was an honour for such a star to be associated with my club. Then his 1st spell as boss. The club was skint, SJP was in a terrible state, attendances were poor again and we were on the brink of the old 3rd division. Enter KK to save us from the drop and possible extinction. The next season we finished top 3 and back in europe for the 1st time in decades. SJP was full, week in, week out. There was a buzz in the city. We became regular top 6 finishers, and the relative success gave the board the confidence that SJP could be, and should be redeveloped to give us the magnificent stadium in which we watch todays passionless dross.

Despite it not working out in his 2nd managerial spell and his ultimate departure, that simply can't undo all he has achieved at NUFC. IMO one of the best people to have ever been with this club.

This... I remember those days well... And apart from the acrimonious departure his 2nd spell as manager was still successful looking at where we were heading again and the football we were playing...

Took twenty minutes to negotiate with Shearer. Shearer walks in, tells Keegan he wants the #9 shirt, walks out and tells them to sort the rest out with his agent. :lol:

Took him 20 minutes to walk in, say one short sentence and walk out. Did he Delorean in from 2006?

Think that is a massively blinkered post HTT, based souly on your love for him with very little fact in there. Some people cannot have a bad word said about him and re-write history to suit that he was such a great manager. He wasn't, he had flaws, massive ones and why he did very little as a manager in the end after showing a great deal of promise.

I accept a lot of what you're saying. He has in many ways underachieved as a manager because he is a very talented guy and even today could still do a very good job at any number of clubs, easily. He does have flaws as well, lots of them. Again I agree. Where I disagree with you in particular is that Pardew's strengths are KK's flaws and that he did very little as manager. What he did for Newcastle ranks alongside Wor Jackie, Shearer, the 50s cup wins etc. That's huge and always will be. Remember, only a small percentage of managers and teams win stuff. The rest of us have to live by heroes and KK is ours. The man's a giant in our history.

Btw, we haven't heard the last of KK. He will come back into management and his team will entertain and win games...

Had I said this this time last year i think it would have been more accepted, but i do think both managers could learn a lot from each other. All the stuff Pardew does (or any manager these days) Keegan just didn't seem to get and if he did we'd probably see a Keegan still in football, at a top club and maybe even winning things. It's a huge disappointment to think what could have been when he first burst on the scene as a manager to what he's doing now. You can't expect to be a one man crusade against football and live through it. If it mattered that much you battle smartly against the enemy and shine through for the sake of football, the club, the fans or yourself. There are bigger names out there who compromised themselves and their beliefs to fit in to modern football (SAF and the Glaziers springs to mind) I just never understood why Keegan thought he was above all that. I wanted him to fight for me, especially second time round as a manager but, well, lets just say that didn't happen.

I'd be very surprised if we saw him again, he looks very beat up from football, i doubt he'd put himself through it again.

There's absolutely nothing that Keegan could learn from Pardew other than how to bullshit effectively. Not to say he didn't have his flaws but he understood quality football better 20 years ago than Pardew does today.

Took twenty minutes to negotiate with Shearer. Shearer walks in, tells Keegan he wants the #9 shirt, walks out and tells them to sort the rest out with his agent. :lol:

Took him 20 minutes to walk in, say one short sentence and walk out. Did he Delorean in from 2006?

"walks out and tells them to sort the rest out with his agent" :pow:

Unfortunately not able to watch the sky programmes, but he brought total class, pride and enthusiasm.

He was a wonderful figurehead, I'd have to say equal to Sir Bobby which is saying something. And brought wonderful exciting football, just sublime some of it.

Flaws yes, but haven't we all for Christ's sake.

In 50 + years as a supporter he brought the best and most exciting times. I was never so proud as during those Keegan times. Whenever I hear him talk I know he truly loves the club and that does it for me every time.

Fucking love him, got this cursed football club that close to a Premier League title, and he knows what it's about. What a shame it never worked out second time coz we'd be up there again if he had the chance.