Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

TT - I'd say Keegan achieved a fair bit from his time as a manager. For you to be-little him as you have, is myopic indeed. :thdn:

So is not accepting his faults and treating him like some god.

]

He has his faults - scrapping the reserve side was a huge mistake. Can see you are a KK hater, TT and for that you have my sympathy. I was lucky enough to remember all of his black and white career as a player and manager, and he gave me (and thousands of others) superb memories whilst will probably never be repeated.

So, a two fingered salute to you. :)

:facepalm:

As TT says, the man cannot be criticised according to some, it's ridiculous.

:lol:

Youve got two options:

1: Love Keegan, romanticize about the days gone by, changing history to suit and hate with a passion everyone who every crossed him or looked at him funnny.

Or

2: THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION!!!!

Idiots man, wonder why Keegan attracts so many?

theres a third option- like him as he gave us the best years of our lives.

Sounds suspiciously like option one.  ;) :lol:

BTW I do like him, only I can see and approach his faults without feeling like i've insulted God. Love the Jihadism on here when I do mind. Muslim Extremists have nothing on Keeganites.  :lol:

Of course he had his faults but they pail in to insignificance compared to what he was part responsible achieving and doing to improve the fortunes of Newcastle United.

His league finish record as Newcastle manager is liable to never be bettered the way football is going.

theres a third option- like him as he gave us the best years of our lives.

Sounds suspiciously like option one.  ;) :lol:

BTW I do like him, only I can see and approach his faults without feeling like i've insulted God. Love the Jihadism on here when I do mind. Muslim Extremists have nothing on Keeganites.  :lol:

oh? aye it does  :D

Of course he had his faults but they pail in to insignificance compared to what he was part responsible achieving and doing to improve the fortunes of Newcastle United.

His league finish record as Newcastle manager is liable to never be bettered the way football is going.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

Think that is a massively blinkered post HTT, based souly on your love for him with very little fact in there. Some people cannot have a bad word said about him and re-write history to suit that he was such a great manager. He wasn't, he had flaws, massive ones and why he did very little as a manager in the end after showing a great deal of promise.

I accept a lot of what you're saying. He has in many ways underachieved as a manager because he is a very talented guy and even today could still do a very good job at any number of clubs, easily. He does have flaws as well, lots of them. Again I agree. Where I disagree with you in particular is that Pardew's strengths are KK's flaws and that he did very little as manager. What he did for Newcastle ranks alongside Wor Jackie, Shearer, the 50s cup wins etc. That's huge and always will be. Remember, only a small percentage of managers and teams win stuff. The rest of us have to live by heroes and KK is ours. The man's a giant in our history.

Btw, we haven't heard the last of KK. He will come back into management and his team will entertain and win games...

Hater

Hater

Wash your maaaaaaaaff aaaaaaaht. I love KK.

Hater

Hater

Think that is a massively blinkered post HTT, based souly on your love for him with very little fact in there. Some people cannot have a bad word said about him and re-write history to suit that he was such a great manager. He wasn't, he had flaws, massive ones and why he did very little as a manager in the end after showing a great deal of promise.

I accept a lot of what you're saying. He has in many ways underachieved as a manager because he is a very talented guy and even today could still do a very good job at any number of clubs, easily. He does have flaws as well, lots of them. Again I agree. Where I disagree with you in particular is that Pardew's strengths are KK's flaws and that he did very little as manager. What he did for Newcastle ranks alongside Wor Jackie, Shearer, the 50s cup wins etc. That's huge and always will be. Remember, only a small percentage of managers and teams win stuff. The rest of us have to live by heroes and KK is ours. The man's a giant in our history.

Btw, we haven't heard the last of KK. He will come back into management and his team will entertain and win games...

Had I said this this time last year i think it would have been more accepted, but i do think both managers could learn a lot from each other. All the stuff Pardew does (or any manager these days) Keegan just didn't seem to get and if he did we'd probably see a Keegan still in football, at a top club and maybe even winning things. It's a huge disappointment to think what could have been when he first burst on the scene as a manager to what he's doing now. You can't expect to be a one man crusade against football and live through it. If it mattered that much you battle smartly against the enemy and shine through for the sake of football, the club, the fans or yourself. There are bigger names out there who compromised themselves and their beliefs to fit in to modern football (SAF and the Glaziers springs to mind) I just never understood why Keegan thought he was above all that. I wanted him to fight for me, especially second time round as a manager but, well, lets just say that didn't happen.

I'd be very surprised if we saw him again, he looks very beat up from football, i doubt he'd put himself through it again.

Hater

Hater

http://i.imm.io/17Il9.jpeg

The saddest thing in all of this for me is that KK will no doubt and perhaps justifiably so be bitter about the game and NUFC even though he obviously once and probably still does, love both with all his heart.

Ashley and co robbed us of a good time and robbed KK of a lasting legacy. He'll go down as the legend he is with many of us but for some and many newer fans he'll go down as a quitter and someone who was out of touch with the modern game.

For me, he was the man that introduced me to football and the game and made me fall in love with it and everything about it.

Ashley and co are the complete opposite and I hate them for it and myself for putting up with it.

That's my opinion pretty much verbatim.

Keegan had his flaws, yes.  These flaws were/are self-evident and undeniable.  I think everyone acknowledges this, even these people who some say 'won't have a bad word said about him'.

He's very principled and has strong opinions on how the game should played, and understandably didn't take kindly to players being signed as favours to agents and against his will.  I completely believe him when he said that it wasn't like they sold it to him and that he was perfectly justified in walking out.

In essence, part of what made him flawed is also what made him a very good manager.  He was able to instil this passion into his players and in both stints with us got the best out of the vast majority of them.  While he was hardly renowned as being a tactical genius and was berated in some circles for his single-minded focus on attacking play, he certainly knew how to get his teams playing with cohesion and fluidity as a unit, something that our present manager hasn't had a hope of doing for a whole season now.

Who knows what could have happened had Keegan been allowed to do his thing here.  Maybe it would have went pear-shaped but the way things were going they we were improving rapidly, would love to have seen how things would have turned out but that'll never happen now.  I hope the last experience and his feelings towards Ashley and Llambias hasn't soured his opinion towards the fans or the club as a whole because he is practically a deity to those like me who were just growing into football during his first era, especially the 1995-96 season.

Might be blinkered but I reckon right now the Premier League needs someone like KK more than it ever has.

This had to happen now i have cancelled Sky :(

Aye, me too. Typical. I always cancel the sky sports during the close season.

I tried to cancel but they offered me 6 months half price if i didn't. Would have been rude to say no.

If you could combine him and Pardew you'd have a brilliant manager IMO. What Keegan lacks Pardew has and vice versa. They seem extreme opposites of each other to me.

Eh? There is nothing remotely good about Pardew whatsoever. He has nowt that KK lacks, not a thing.

Doesn't quit jobs.

Accepts hierarchy.

Understands the modern football club.

Does a lot of preparation.

Has a more defensive view point.

Keegan quite clearly lacks the drive and determination needed to be a top class manager, he also lacks being able to do what he's told or understanding the role of a modern manager. He's a great motivator who loves attacking football but can't put his ego aside for the sake of a club and doesn't have any attention to detail while isn't open to any ideas which he didn't practise in the 80s.

1 - Give Pardew a good enough reason to resign and he would as would any manager. KK had legitimate reasons to resign every time he did resign.

2 - KK accepted SJH, Fletcher etc. He accepted the FA, Al Fayed, Man City's board of directors. What he didn't accept at NUFC was being undermined and lied to and a whole load of broken promises. KK has shown he is more than able to work with a hierarchy, if that hierarchy is the right one. I think he could work with Carr, easily, for example.

Last season he basically said during one of our games on ESP that Pardew had been quite lucky getting players like Sissoko, Ben Arfa etc. bought for him. At the time I took that as him taking a bitter swipe at Ashley and co for getting him the likes of Xisco and that other player whose name escapes me, while Pardew gets the cream basically.

I don't think even KK would turn down good players being bought for him though. Shearer was effectively bought for him after all. When its the likes of Xisco though or some f***er off Youtube....

KK IMO could work for this club right now, under Ashley, Llambias and Carr in this set-up, providing he knew exactly what was what.

3 - Pardew doesn't understand NUFC never mind modern football. His whole approach to football flies against the whole ethos of the club in terms of the fans and its history and indeed even the players we bring to the club. There is nothing to understand, he just goes along with things. Anyone can do that.

4 - So what? It means nowt if it doesn't translate into success. Where Pardew puts in a lot of preparation time regarding statistics and other s***, KK would be out there on the training pitch putting the hours into passing, movement, skill, flair etc.

5 - The best form of defence is attack... we conceded a record number of goals for us this season. Under KK when we lost the title we conceded something like a handful of goals less than Man Utd who were winning games right left and centre 1-0, most notably at SJP which probably decided the fate of the title that season. This when we were regarded as reckless and cavalier.

I'd wager a KK side would concede less than a Pardew side, any day of the week.

Btw, KK when he took over us back in the early 90s was one of a new breed, he helped to change the the role of the manager. At that time the manager was the trainer and a part-time scout. KK was everything to us. He was the chief negotiator, the chief scout, he trained the team, he coached them, he played a part in every area of the club, he even had a say on the design of our shirts. He was a new hands on new breed. Ironically its going back to how it used to be where the manager is basically the trainer and part-time scout and that for me is the best model because of just how crappy most managers are in the transfer market, scouting players etc. etc. Imagine if Pardew could pick and choose who he wanted and just how much he'd blow on s****. Souness all over again I bet.

But there are some rare exceptions and KK is and always would be someone I personally would trust to spend money on a player because the man not only has an eye for talent but he has the individual tools to develop that talent and turn it into gold. He did it with Lee, Cole etc. He turned a newly promoted side that cost under 10m quid at a time when the Hammers, Derby etc were spending more to get into the PL into a 3rd place side.

The man does have an ego but if it was that big, he wouldn't have walked out on us. He would have stayed around picking up the reported 3m a year salary, his ego constantly telling him he can work magic regardless.

The sad truth of it all is that KK is too honest and too decent a man for football, or the way football is now.

He doesn't care about finances or prozone, he cares about the fans and his players, he cares about football.

KK may not have what it takes to say win the league with a side or to compete for the CL trophy (how many do) but he wipes the floor with someone like Pardew, Hughes, Bruce and half the other s*** in the division.

KK in charge of this side... top 6 and attacking football without a doubt and someone like Ben Arfa scoring and creating bucket loads.

"GET BACK HATEM" "NOT THERE HATEM"

Picture KK waving Oba forwards frantically to take on his man...

Different kettle of fish altogether.

Without reading this, I know it's going to be a brilliant post! I love HTT's KK patter!

If you could combine him and Pardew you'd have a brilliant manager IMO. What Keegan lacks Pardew has and vice versa. They seem extreme opposites of each other to me.

Eh? There is nothing remotely good about Pardew whatsoever. He has nowt that KK lacks, not a thing.

Doesn't quit jobs.

Accepts hierarchy.

Understands the modern football club.

Does a lot of preparation.

Has a more defensive view point.

Keegan quite clearly lacks the drive and determination needed to be a top class manager, he also lacks being able to do what he's told or understanding the role of a modern manager. He's a great motivator who loves attacking football but can't put his ego aside for the sake of a club and doesn't have any attention to detail while isn't open to any ideas which he didn't practise in the 80s.

1 - Give Pardew a good enough reason to resign and he would as would any manager. KK had legitimate reasons to resign every time he did resign.

2 - KK accepted SJH, Fletcher etc. He accepted the FA, Al Fayed, Man City's board of directors. What he didn't accept at NUFC was being undermined and lied to and a whole load of broken promises. KK has shown he is more than able to work with a hierarchy, if that hierarchy is the right one. I think he could work with Carr, easily, for example.

Last season he basically said during one of our games on ESP that Pardew had been quite lucky getting players like Sissoko, Ben Arfa etc. bought for him. At the time I took that as him taking a bitter swipe at Ashley and co for getting him the likes of Xisco and that other player whose name escapes me, while Pardew gets the cream basically.

I don't think even KK would turn down good players being bought for him though. Shearer was effectively bought for him after all. When its the likes of Xisco though or some f***er off Youtube....

KK IMO could work for this club right now, under Ashley, Llambias and Carr in this set-up, providing he knew exactly what was what.

3 - Pardew doesn't understand NUFC never mind modern football. His whole approach to football flies against the whole ethos of the club in terms of the fans and its history and indeed even the players we bring to the club. There is nothing to understand, he just goes along with things. Anyone can do that.

4 - So what? It means nowt if it doesn't translate into success. Where Pardew puts in a lot of preparation time regarding statistics and other s***, KK would be out there on the training pitch putting the hours into passing, movement, skill, flair etc.

5 - The best form of defence is attack... we conceded a record number of goals for us this season. Under KK when we lost the title we conceded something like a handful of goals less than Man Utd who were winning games right left and centre 1-0, most notably at SJP which probably decided the fate of the title that season. This when we were regarded as reckless and cavalier.

I'd wager a KK side would concede less than a Pardew side, any day of the week.

Btw, KK when he took over us back in the early 90s was one of a new breed, he helped to change the the role of the manager. At that time the manager was the trainer and a part-time scout. KK was everything to us. He was the chief negotiator, the chief scout, he trained the team, he coached them, he played a part in every area of the club, he even had a say on the design of our shirts. He was a new hands on new breed. Ironically its going back to how it used to be where the manager is basically the trainer and part-time scout and that for me is the best model because of just how crappy most managers are in the transfer market, scouting players etc. etc. Imagine if Pardew could pick and choose who he wanted and just how much he'd blow on s****. Souness all over again I bet.

But there are some rare exceptions and KK is and always would be someone I personally would trust to spend money on a player because the man not only has an eye for talent but he has the individual tools to develop that talent and turn it into gold. He did it with Lee, Cole etc. He turned a newly promoted side that cost under 10m quid at a time when the Hammers, Derby etc were spending more to get into the PL into a 3rd place side.

The man does have an ego but if it was that big, he wouldn't have walked out on us. He would have stayed around picking up the reported 3m a year salary, his ego constantly telling him he can work magic regardless.

The sad truth of it all is that KK is too honest and too decent a man for football, or the way football is now.

He doesn't care about finances or prozone, he cares about the fans and his players, he cares about football.

KK may not have what it takes to say win the league with a side or to compete for the CL trophy (how many do) but he wipes the floor with someone like Pardew, Hughes, Bruce and half the other s*** in the division.

KK in charge of this side... top 6 and attacking football without a doubt and someone like Ben Arfa scoring and creating bucket loads.

"GET BACK HATEM" "NOT THERE HATEM"

Picture KK waving Oba forwards frantically to take on his man...

Different kettle of fish altogether.

Without reading this, I know it's going to be a brilliant post! I love HTT's KK patter!

What an absolutely fantastic read

Watched it this morning - great stuff. :thup: Harmison was as nervous as f**k (wouldn't you be, interviewing one of your heroes?!) However, KK's passion for the club and the city is there for all to see. Warts and all - he's still a top lad. :)

and HTT - again. :thup:

Loves the city loves the people loves the club and still gets hates...saved the club gave us great football to watch and almost won the title...still gets hate.

Odd. Very odd.

Its not so much kk you need to question its the liars in the boardroom

Guest reefatoon

Those saying KK wasn't a good manager are wrong, each job he took save the England one, he left the club in a significantly better position when he left.

It's obvious the people having anything bad to say about KK were not around when he was here in the 80's as a player and the 90's as a manager.  To be part of that time when he was in charge, you just could not say a bad word against the bloke.  It was an unbelievable time and he was the main part of that feel good factor.  People that were too young for that time do not quite understand what it was like.