Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

If you could combine him and Pardew you'd have a brilliant manager IMO. What Keegan lacks Pardew has and vice versa. They seem extreme opposites of each other to me.

Eh? There is nothing remotely good about Pardew whatsoever. He has nowt that KK lacks, not a thing.

Doesn't quit jobs.

Accepts hierarchy.

Understands the modern football club.

Does a lot of preparation.

Has a more defensive view point.

Keegan quite clearly lacks the drive and determination needed to be a top class manager, he also lacks being able to do what he's told or understanding the role of a modern manager. He's a great motivator who loves attacking football but can't put his ego aside for the sake of a club and doesn't have any attention to detail while isn't open to any ideas which he didn't practise in the 80s.

:thup: Though obviously KK's strengths tend to be more closely related to winning games of football.

Yeah, although total opposites I know which one I'd rather have even though I'd be sitting waiting for him to leave me...again.

It always puzzles me when people come out with this stuff saying we'd never have been relegated with Allardyce in charge, as if sacking him was to blame for us going down 18 months later. We'd also have never gone down with Keegan in charge and would in fact have made good progress under him, I've blocked it out of my mind a bit now but I do feel cheated that his 2nd managerial stint was cut short. I see no reason why he couldn't have worked alongside someone reputable like Carr, but we weren't that far along yet so that muppet Wise was signing a s*** striker to replace an effective winger basically behind the manager's back. Llambias is always keen to give himself a pat on the back these days but he has a lot to answer for including sowing the seeds of our relegation with his horrible behaviour.

Amazing how this idea persists. Keegan approved the signing of the s*** striker. He walked when a midfield player was brought in on loan.

Gonzalez was the last straw, but I'm pretty sure Xisco was part of it.

I try not to remember his second spell. I was so happy. The hope after that game at Old Trafford for the season ahead. :okay:

Guest Howaythetoon

If you could combine him and Pardew you'd have a brilliant manager IMO. What Keegan lacks Pardew has and vice versa. They seem extreme opposites of each other to me.

Eh? There is nothing remotely good about Pardew whatsoever. He has nowt that KK lacks, not a thing.

Doesn't quit jobs.

Accepts hierarchy.

Understands the modern football club.

Does a lot of preparation.

Has a more defensive view point.

Keegan quite clearly lacks the drive and determination needed to be a top class manager, he also lacks being able to do what he's told or understanding the role of a modern manager. He's a great motivator who loves attacking football but can't put his ego aside for the sake of a club and doesn't have any attention to detail while isn't open to any ideas which he didn't practise in the 80s.

1 - Give Pardew a good enough reason to resign and he would as would any manager. KK had legitimate reasons to resign every time he did resign.

2 - KK accepted SJH, Fletcher etc. He accepted the FA, Al Fayed, Man City's board of directors. What he didn't accept at NUFC was being undermined and lied to and a whole load of broken promises. KK has shown he is more than able to work with a hierarchy, if that hierarchy is the right one. I think he could work with Carr, easily, for example.

Last season he basically said during one of our games on ESP that Pardew had been quite lucky getting players like Sissoko, Ben Arfa etc. bought for him. At the time I took that as him taking a bitter swipe at Ashley and co for getting him the likes of Xisco and that other player whose name escapes me, while Pardew gets the cream basically.

I don't think even KK would turn down good players being bought for him though. Shearer was effectively bought for him after all. When its the likes of Xisco though or some fucker off Youtube....

KK IMO could work for this club right now, under Ashley, Llambias and Carr in this set-up, providing he knew exactly what was what.

3 - Pardew doesn't understand NUFC never mind modern football. His whole approach to football flies against the whole ethos of the club in terms of the fans and its history and indeed even the players we bring to the club. There is nothing to understand, he just goes along with things. Anyone can do that.

4 - So what? It means nowt if it doesn't translate into success. Where Pardew puts in a lot of preparation time regarding statistics and other shit, KK would be out there on the training pitch putting the hours into passing, movement, skill, flair etc.

5 - The best form of defence is attack... we conceded a record number of goals for us this season. Under KK when we lost the title we conceded something like a handful of goals less than Man Utd who were winning games right left and centre 1-0, most notably at SJP which probably decided the fate of the title that season. This when we were regarded as reckless and cavalier.

I'd wager a KK side would concede less than a Pardew side, any day of the week.

Btw, KK when he took over us back in the early 90s was one of a new breed, he helped to change the the role of the manager. At that time the manager was the trainer and a part-time scout. KK was everything to us. He was the chief negotiator, the chief scout, he trained the team, he coached them, he played a part in every area of the club, he even had a say on the design of our shirts. He was a new hands on new breed. Ironically its going back to how it used to be where the manager is basically the trainer and part-time scout and that for me is the best model because of just how crappy most managers are in the transfer market, scouting players etc. etc. Imagine if Pardew could pick and choose who he wanted and just how much he'd blow on shite. Souness all over again I bet.

But there are some rare exceptions and KK is and always would be someone I personally would trust to spend money on a player because the man not only has an eye for talent but he has the individual tools to develop that talent and turn it into gold. He did it with Lee, Cole etc. He turned a newly promoted side that cost under 10m quid at a time when the Hammers, Derby etc were spending more to get into the PL into a 3rd place side.

The man does have an ego but if it was that big, he wouldn't have walked out on us. He would have stayed around picking up the reported 3m a year salary, his ego constantly telling him he can work magic regardless.

The sad truth of it all is that KK is too honest and too decent a man for football, or the way football is now.

He doesn't care about finances or prozone, he cares about the fans and his players, he cares about football.

KK may not have what it takes to say win the league with a side or to compete for the CL trophy (how many do) but he wipes the floor with someone like Pardew, Hughes, Bruce and half the other shit in the division.

KK in charge of this side... top 6 and attacking football without a doubt and someone like Ben Arfa scoring and creating bucket loads.

"GET BACK HATEM" "NOT THERE HATEM"

Picture KK waving Oba forwards frantically to take on his man...

Different kettle of fish altogether.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yup - would love to see it too.

KK's dad or grandad was a Durham Miner, IIRC and was involved with a pit rescue if memory serves.

His grandad was a Geordie miner and his dad a Geordie that's where he got his love of the Toon from. He turned down Man Utd to come and play for us. The club couldn't quite afford him so he was put on a basic wage with Newcastle Breweries helping to pay the majority of his wages while the rest was made up of a percentage from the extra gates.

KK didn't think his signing would add so many to the gate so he was embarrassed at how much he was earning in total, he told the club to keep the gate receipt percentage to invest in the academy which they probably never did.

That same charity was extended further when he become our manager, paying Terry Mac's wages out of his own pocket for the first few months.

HTT. :thup:

Gonna go and set it to record tonight. :)

It's also amazing to think that his 'testimonial' v Liverpool was actually a benefit match for the club. The amount of cash swilling about in the club coffers at that time, doesn't bear thinking about (for that time) and it won't have gone on team building!

I remember reading the Cox left as he had more big transfers lined up and the board wouldn't sanction them. Two of those being Mark Wright and Kevin Sheedy.

Think that is a massively blinkered post HTT, based souly on your love for him with very little fact in there. Some people cannot have a bad word said about him and re-write history to suit that he was such a great manager. He wasn't, he had flaws, massive ones and why he did very little as a manager in the end after showing a great deal of promise.

Think that is a massively blinkered post HTT, based souly on your love for him with very little fact in there. Some people cannot have a bad word said about him and re-write history to suit that he was such a great manager. He wasn't, he had flaws, massive ones and why he did very little as a manager in the end after showing a great deal of promise.

He may have done little as a manager overall but if we ever have another manager who gives our club anything near what he did between 92 and 97 I'll consider myself pretty bloody lucky.

He may have done little as a manager overall but if we ever have another manager who gives our club anything near what he did between 92 and 97 I'll consider myself pretty bloody lucky.

Rather have Bobby's era (if only we could have got him straight after Keegan) but get your point.

I was fortunate enough to live in the UK in 95 and 96.  He gave me some of the happiest times in football.  I don't care if there are better managers out there.  His unbridled enthusiasm was unmatched, and it transmitted through to everybody involved with the club for a time. 

Guest Howaythetoon

The saddest thing in all of this for me is that KK will no doubt and perhaps justifiably so be bitter about the game and NUFC even though he obviously once and probably still does, love both with all his heart.

Ashley and co robbed us of a good time and robbed KK of a lasting legacy. He'll go down as the legend he is with many of us but for some and many newer fans he'll go down as a quitter and someone who was out of touch with the modern game.

For me, he was the man that introduced me to football and the game and made me fall in love with it and everything about it.

Ashley and co are the complete opposite and I hate them for it and myself for putting up with it.

TT - I'd say Keegan achieved a fair bit from his time as a manager. For you to be-little him as you have, is myopic indeed. :thdn:

So is not accepting his faults and treating him like some god.

TT - I'd say Keegan achieved a fair bit from his time as a manager. For you to be-little him as you have, is myopic indeed. :thdn:

]

He has his faults - scrapping the reserve side was a huge mistake. Can see you are a KK hater, TT and for that you have my sympathy. I was lucky enough to remember all of his black and white career as a player and manager, and he gave me (and thousands of others) superb memories whilst will probably never be repeated.

So, a two fingered salute to you. :)

]

He has his faults - scrapping the reserve side was a huge mistake. Can see you are a KK hater, TT and for that you have my sympathy. I was lucky enough to remember all of his black and white career as a player and manager, and he gave me (and thousands of others) superb memories whilst will probably never be repeated.

So, a two fingered salute to you. :)

:facepalm:

As TT says, the man cannot be criticised according to some, it's ridiculous.