Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Phew. Thought he was being linked with (another) return. That's ok then.

Sad and totally disrespectful.

just about sums up all the keegan haters , moreso in this thread , just attention seeking tbh.

Guest neesy111

KK mania overturned a 4m debt to a turnover of 60m within the 5 years of his tenure. No other club, not even Man Utd, has seen such a growth on and off the field and it was mainly all down to KK and his passion for this club.

kk mania, plus a chairman who pumped in millions and rebuilt the stadium. it also helped that in the interim the premier league came into existence and the amount of sky money went through the roof.

i love keegan and all, but come on.

We helped the PL and Sky.  We were on sky more than man utd, liverpool etc between 94 and 96.

just about sums up all the keegan haters , moreso in this thread , just attention seeking tbh.

:lol: As per usual it's black and white. Anyone with criticism of the messiah is a attention seeking KK hater.

:lol: As per usual it's black and white. Anyone with criticism of the messiah is a attention seeking KK hater.

I don't understand how he can come in for criticism after what he done for this club.

it is when its his BD and people are posting for that reason.  can you imagine life if people went round telling people all about thier faults on thier birthdays. :lol: :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

KK mania overturned a 4m debt to a turnover of 60m within the 5 years of his tenure. No other club, not even Man Utd, has seen such a growth on and off the field and it was mainly all down to KK and his passion for this club.

kk mania, plus a chairman who pumped in millions and rebuilt the stadium. it also helped that in the interim the premier league came into existence and the amount of sky money went through the roof.

I have huge respect for SJH but he only ever put in 50K, that 4m debt to 60m turnover came about in large thanks to the fans who bought into KK's beliefs and ideas and backed this club all the way to the Premier League and beyond. It got so manic even the cinema had to show our games due to the interest. As for Sky, ask anyone involved in the marketing department at Sky and they will tell you KK's entertainers helped sell the nation their dishes and packages. I have a book about the incpetion of the PL and one of the directors of Sky at the time said whenever NUFC were live, viewing figures would sometimes treble.

KK was a breath of fresh air at the time, a rookie manager, 7 years out of the game, upstaging every manager, creating a side that outplayed their rivals and had almost every other set of fans rooting for us whenever we played.

He played a huge part as did we in the whole Premier League explosion as a product.

I don't understand how he can come in for criticism after what he done for this club.

This for me, he's a fucking hero to me and to NUFC, I don't get anyone who doesn't think so

it is when its his BD and people are posting for that reason.  can you imagine life if people went round telling people all about thier faults on thier birthdays. :lol: :lol:

Aye well it'd be a bit harsh if Kev himself was in here fighting his corner on his birthday, but to my knowledge he isn't a member.

So he has faults? Blasphemy!

The best time in our recent history has been with KK at the helm (first time around) and it's like may never be seen again. For those too young or living abroad, Keegans infectious enthusiasm and gung-ho football lifted a region with a massive gale force-esque blast of wind and carried it along for years.

He genuinely 'got' the area, got the people and massively embraced the pressure that makes many others wilt away.

You would turn up to games just knowing you were going to absolutely smash sides. You'd walk into the bookies on the way to the game and regularly back us to win 4-1, 5-2, 3-1. This wasn't traditional football, this was cavalier 'we're better than you' football, this was confidence and swagger and the whole of Tyneside absolutely lapped it up.

Seriously, it takes some explaining now, but it was a phenomenon of our time that period of football. It was sheer, unadulterated enthusiasm coupled with some fantastic players. Sometimes, and it doesn't happen very often, the leader of a club, it's fans and it's players just click and magic happens.

The stadium was alive every week, the NUFC away fans travelled in absolute droves, some weeks you could visually witness opposition players crumbling due to the pressure. Seriously, it sounds ridiculous now, but at the time the whole city was just absolutely buzzing. The anticipation of battering opposition every week with great players, playing great football, without fear of getting beat or getting booed was just unreal for those few years.

You were literally gutted if you drew a game at SJP because that just didn't happen. Nobody would come to our ground and get points. It was a total fortress.

Magic happened during that first period. We had him at his best, KK. We were his club and he knew what we needed.

It saddens me that the chances of that happening to any club, on any sort of level, are very very very unlikely nowadays due to the Abramovichs, Arabs and Americans Billionaires who use our game as a toy, a play thing, a cock measuring contest because the people that suffer are us, proper football fans. 

Our team will never again challenge for the league, barring some miracle. But that KK time, man, I wouldn't give up the experience for the world.

There's no doubt that the initial KK period set the foundations for the club we see today and made a large percentage of todays ST Holders fall in love with the game and the club and whatever you think of him as a guy (and I've got views on KK the personality) you can't just can't deny that his appointment was just absolutely seismic at the time and that we wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for that appointment. Forget SJH, forget Fletcher, Shepherd, Ashley - forget them all because without that KK appointment this club would be barely recognisable.

Just a damn shame he couldn't move with the times (and to an extent go against his own values and principles) and accept the hierarchy of a modern day football club.

Kevin Keegan managing this squad would be fantastic to watch, however hardly any of these players would be playing for us as he wouldn't have allowed the board to bring them in.

Wonder if he came in now how it would pan out (a hypothetical scrubbing his second managerial tenure from the books) now Ashley has got past his Wise & DOF stage and everyone knows the current system of recruitment works.

There was nothing modern about having the poisonous dwarf in place

I don't think he would have an issue with the current structure, he wants final say on a transfer and according to Pardew he gets final say on transfers

Do you really believe Pardew has a final say on transfers?  :lol: Keegan wouldn't put up with that, and we wouldn't have squad we have now. Going in to the future looking at star players he wanted then being told they cost too much, want too much in wages or are too old. Could he cope with that?

He'd have issues with the current structure, but not as many as in the past with the likes of Wise, and why I mentioned it since Ashley has seen past that very expensive blunder, but he would still have to compromise under how we are run now, which I'm not sure he's capable of.

I don't think players are forced on Pardew, nor do I think Pardew can push forward a deal that Carr doesn't agree to

I don't think Keegan would object to the likes of Anita, Sissoko etc being signed just like he didn't have a problem with Jonas/Coloccini BUT Xisco and Nacho was a problem

The star players he wanted? Do you honestly believe he wanted those players? It smelt like bullshit being spread by Llambias to malign Keegan and it seemed to have worked

Don't think Pardew has any say on transfers, he has an opinion, but his input is null.

The 4 players you mention signed at the time, no one knew how they'd pan out, hindsight means you can say that but at the time Keegan would have had a problem with all of them as they weren't his signings. Guthrie was his from memory.

It's the system not the end result. Keegan would have bought British to a bigger extent than the board would have wanted that's for sure, and we couldn't afford the British equivalent of our star players, if we could find any. That's if they could get on and agree to work together.

Still an interesting hypothetical for me, Keegan in now, how would it turn out, could he learn to compromise?

The best time in our recent history has been with KK at the helm (first time around) and it's like may never be seen again. For those too young or living abroad, Keegans infectious enthusiasm and gung-ho football lifted a region with a massive gale force-esque blast of wind and carried it along for years.

He genuinely 'got' the area, got the people and massively embraced the pressure that makes many others wilt away.

You would turn up to games just knowing you were going to absolutely smash sides. You'd walk into the bookies on the way to the game and regularly back us to win 4-1, 5-2, 3-1. This wasn't traditional football, this was cavalier 'we're better than you' football, this was confidence and swagger and the whole of Tyneside absolutely lapped it up.

Seriously, it takes some explaining now, but it was a phenomenon of our time that period of football. It was sheer, unadulterated enthusiasm coupled with some fantastic players. Sometimes, and it doesn't happen very often, the leader of a club, it's fans and it's players just click and magic happens.

The stadium was alive every week, the NUFC away fans travelled in absolute droves, some weeks you could visually witness opposition players crumbling due to the pressure. Seriously, it sounds ridiculous now, but at the time the whole city was just absolutely buzzing. The anticipation of battering opposition every week with great players, playing great football, without fear of getting beat or getting booed was just unreal for those few years.

You were literally gutted if you drew a game at SJP because that just didn't happen. Nobody would come to our ground and get points. It was a total fortress.

Magic happened during that first period. We had him at his best, KK. We were his club and he knew what we needed.

It saddens me that the chances of that happening to any club, on any sort of level, are very very very unlikely nowadays due to the Abramovichs, Arabs and Americans Billionaires who use our game as a toy, a play thing, a cock measuring contest because the people that suffer are us, proper football fans. 

Our team will never again challenge for the league, barring some miracle. But that KK time, man, I wouldn't give up the experience for the world.

There's no doubt that the initial KK period set the foundations for the club we see today and made a large percentage of todays ST Holders fall in love with the game and the club and whatever you think of him as a guy (and I've got views on KK the personality) you can't just can't deny that his appointment was just absolutely seismic at the time and that we wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for that appointment. Forget SJH, forget Fletcher, Shepherd, Ashley - forget them all because without that KK appointment this club would be barely recognisable.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Happy birthday Special K.

His work with us should be celebrated and not mocked as some of the cretins who post on here do. Outstanding job.

I agree his work should be celebrated, who knows if I'd be as big a fan as I am without the furore around our promotion season and "entertainers" tag.

Saying that, I don't agree with the endless posts about how amazing a team we'd be if he was at the helm now, nor do I agree that we looked like an amazing side in his short, rather disastrous second coming. I don't believe KK was ever really cut out for the big, high pressure jobs, and I think that's only got worse over time.

Anyway, more importantly, Happy Birthday Mr Kevin.

I think that's bollocks, but obviously we'll never know since it's all opinions really.

I see no reason why Keegan couldn't do a better job of it than most of the managers in the Premier League now, especially at our club. He's a fantastic motivator with a fearless approach, who also showed a bit of tactical flexibility last time he was here. I also doubt he'd have much problem working with loads of mint players. Xisco and Nacho weren't mint players and Keegan was clearly sick of getting lied to so packed it in.

And I'd go as far to say that no team before or since in the Premiership has played more entertaining football than Keegan's Newcastle teams in his first spell. Every cunt and his dog wanted to watch us. We were the neutral's faves. Crowds would rise at away grounds when Keegan and his Newcastle team were in town. Unless you lived it, you wouldn't appreciate the magnitude of it all, honestly.

Thankfully Freddy Shep & Douglas H's intervention (given that SJH wanted to ride-out the relegation scrap with a then shoulder shrugging Ardilles) prevented us from dropping down another division. That was a key turning point, along with the ousting of McKeag and his cronies.

If SJH had his way originally, things could have turned out very differently ie. no division one rescue mission led by Keegan, followed by a rocket propelled promotion back to the top flight etc.

Minhosa :thup:

Also about his 2nd stint, am i the only one who feels he was starting to get us on the right track and don't think it was a disastrous at all?

Anyway Happy Birthday KK, the man who was the reason i feel in love with this club to begin with. :thup:

Of course he was, I thought that was fairly universally accepted given how blindingly obvious it was.