Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Ironic that the manager that we approached first is someone who is doing rather well having 'gone back' and people are thinking that it always ends in failure.

After a year, though, in Redknapp's case.

They probably hadn't even had the time to clean all the drool off his desk before he washed up back again.

Just hope he has some transfer plans

Oh I'm sure he will  O0

Also glad to hear hes only 56 too, thought he was older but Fergies like 67 isn't he? Arry is 60 and Houlliers 61. Keegans got a head start  :laugh:

Guest LucaAltieri

5/1 for Keegan to win something here next season.

7/1 for Keegan to not be here at the end of next season.

Work that one out. :lol:

Both worth a punt to be fair  :lol:

Didn't he get Man City promoted back to the Premiership with a record number of goals for?

108 goals in the league...equalled the highest ever for us as a club (Stuart Pearce misses a last minute penalty in last game to break the record and give him 100 career goals...typical City)...but miles off the overall record...

Best season ever tho. Some fantastic memories.  ;D

Guest Chris P

Wow 125 people are gutted KK is back to help us out of a hole for a while.  Jesus wept.

Who did you expect or want to turn up?

hitzfeld

.co.uk had a bunch of good interviews with ex-Keegan players.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1217760,00.html

King Kev:  Former Favourites' Verdict

FORMER Newcastle United favourites who played under Kevin Keegan have been having their say on the return of the Geordie messiah.

Here, nufc.co.uk takes a look at how Toon stars Robbie Elliott, Steve Howey, Peter Beardsley and David Ginola have reacted to the news of King Kev's third coming ...

Peter Beardsley

"I hope it is third time lucky in terms of winning trophies.

"He got promotion twice, as a player with us and then as a manager, and if he could win a trophy third time around, it would be absolutely magnificent.

"When I say a trophy, I don't expect us to win the Premier League in the next year.

"But there are cups to go for and hopefully 18 months from now, we will be challenging for Europe, so there will be the UEFA Cup, hopefully.

"I think it is a realistic possibility. He is here for three and a half years, so I would think we would certainly get close in those three and a half years.

"He is the right man for the job, I don't think there is any doubt about that.

"Alan Shearer was in the frame, but experience tells in this case and Kevin has seen it and done it before.

"He will bring an excitement level that they (the fans) have seen before. The way he plays football is what they want to see.

"In an ideal world, we would like to win trophies along with that, but the most important thing is the style of football, and his style is the best, in my opinion.

"He has a certain style of football that the fans enjoy watching and he will buy the players to fit into that system.

"They are going to be happy and exciting days for the next few weeks, certainly, and if it does not happen then, it will certainly happen in the summer - and I can't wait."

Robbie Elliott

"It's going to be a sensational atmosphere (against Bolton on Saturday)

"Since Kevin left the club, he's been back just once, for Peter Beardsley's testimonial. I was fortunate enough to play that day, and when he appeared the roof nearly came off the place.

"It was the loudest noise I've ever heard in my life, scarily loud.

"What's happened up here is incredible. People from outside just don't understand how exciting this is for Newcastle.

"It's been a difficult time for the club, but from Saturday onwards, hopefully, the place will take off.

"I've spoken to Andy O'Brien (who now plays for Bolton) and said 'unlucky'. Before this happened, Newcastle was a place where opposing teams were coming and commanding games, but this changes everything.

"It's going to be sensational. If anybody can get Newcastle going, he can.

"Sam (Allardyce) knew how big a job it was when he went up there, but he wasn't the first to be taken by surprise by just how difficult a job it is.

"Graeme Souness said he'd managed bigger clubs than Newcastle - Liverpool, Rangers and Galatasaray - but had never experienced anything like being manager up here.

"But Keegan knows the place and he really was something special when he was here before, a magnificent motivator and man-manager.

"It sounds quite naive to say it, but he'd give his team talks and you'd go out knowing you would win, especially at home.

"He got something extra out of us and, if he could get 10 or 15 per cent extra out of the good players he's got at the club now, he'll give Newcastle an extra dimension."

Steve Howey

"It's a fantastic appointment.

"The owner (Mike Ashley) sits up and listens to the fans and at the end of the day he's given the fans what they want.

"Kevin has always had a massive affinity with the club. Once the situation became apparent that there was a chance he would get the job, I don't think there was much thinking needed from his point of view.

"He just had a great knack of coming into the dressing room or training ground and just giving everybody a lift. He could give people great motivation, great belief in their own ability.

"After speaking to him for five minutes you'd come away thinking 'He's right, I am a good player, I can do that' and you'd have a lot more confidence in your own ability.

"He'd do that to you individually as well as doing it to the team as a whole. We'd go out on match days and feel as though we could beat anyone.

"His all-round enthusiasm and desire was infectious, and that rubbed off on the lads around him.

"One thing is for sure, he will get them believing in themselves and will get the dressing room to be a happy place."

David Ginola

"There have been so many managers and players involved at Newcastle.

"They sign and then run away after a few months or a year.

"A club needs stability.

"If you don't have any stability within your organisation then you don't bring confidence to everyone.

"From the chairman, to the manager to the players, you must bring this kind of stability and that will bring you success.

"If every year you are playing with two, three or four different players and you have a new manager then you have to start again.

"Most of the clubs that are successful are the ones that have stability.

"The responsibility on the shoulders of Kevin Keegan from now on will be tremendous.

"The expectations of the fans, they are really frustrated and desperate to win something and he will have to provide."

Guest elbee909

Wow 125 people are gutted KK is back to help us out of a hole for a while.  Jesus wept.

Who did you expect or want to turn up?

Yes, because you were totally certain that Keegan would take the job prior to it happening and I'm sure were shouting for his appointment from the rooftops?

Bit easy to claim some sort of higher ground with the benefit of hindsight.  You won't be the only one though, I'm sure.