Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article695983.ece

KEVIN KEEGAN made a sensational return to Newcastle last night, sparking astonishing scenes on Tyneside.

The Toon legend, back at St James’ Park 4,025 days after quitting as boss, was named as the shock replacement for Sam Allardyce.

Keegan, 56, watched from the directors’ box as Newcastle beat Stoke 4-1 in their FA Cup third-round replay — to seal a fourth-round clash at Arsenal.

He said: “It’s nice to be home. I’m delighted to be back.”

And Toon chairman Chris Mort added: “I think we’ve got the right man in the end.”

Keegan, out of the game since leaving Manchester City in 2005, has signed a 3½-year deal worth a whopping £20million.

The news triggered waves of Keeganmania across Newcastle, with fans snapping up shirts emblazoned with their messiah’s name.

At 2.30pm yesterday only 30,000 tickets had been sold for last night’s clash. When news of his appointment broke, thousands more were sold in minutes.

The ex-England chief, who has been running his soccer school in Glasgow, landed the job following a final round of talks yesterday and will be given a £50m war chest by owner Mike Ashley to spend now and in the summer.

He will also move quickly to appoint a No 2, with Derek Fazackerley — his long-time aide who is currently at Manchester City — in the running along with Chris Coleman, John Carver and Portsmouth assistant Tony Adams.

Guest Ridzuan

It is said on the official website that he will be unveil on Friday afternoon.Does that mean he will take charge of the Bolton game?

I think it's an OK choice, but everytime I see him he looks totally overwhelmed.  I'm worried that there's no plan in place, that he really has no idea where to start.  Makes the transfer window all the more worrisome. 

All this 'planning lark' is overrated. We are now beyong that.....magic awaits. bluerazz.gif

Parky assists Keegan with his team selection for Saturday

http://headbangersblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/crowley.jpg

Crowley on the wing? Nice.  :razz:

THAT'S MAGICK!!

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

20m wages?! :yikes:  50m kitty? :yikes:

From The Mail

Keegan, who vowed just two months ago never to return to club management, was lured back to Tyneside by Ashley with the promise of a £60million kitty and a £3m-a-year contract for three-and-a-half years.

20m wages?! :yikes:  50m kitty? :yikes:

From The Mail

Keegan, who vowed just two months ago never to return to club management, was lured back to Tyneside by Ashley with the promise of a £60million kitty and a £3m-a-year contract for three-and-a-half years.

now that sounds much better!

Sorry if this has already been said but since I just got home from work, I  can't be arsed to read through 26 pages.

Anyway about a year or two ago I would have said this was a backward step but I think it's absolutely the right appointment at the right time. I'm starting to believe there are only a few people who could manage our unique club and KK has already proved to be one of them.

If he's backed in the transfer market and afforded some time then I'm sure he'll make us proud of our team once more.

I am fairly stunned about this in some ways - yes, I can see the reasoning at this time( the club is in a mess and we need points as well as an uplift among the fans), but I have some doubts as to the long-term viability of KK's appointment.

I was all in favour of his taking over in 1992 and the club has never had such an exciting time for its fans in recent memory as during his managership - none of us will ever forget it...

However, as I have said previously, I need to be convinced that the club's Academy and Reserves will still have the high priority that Mort stressed in his programme notes - this was an area very much downgraded during Kev's last stint as boss...

Also, it will be interesting to see whether the defence is given as much priority as the attack - ALL top sides build from the back and defend AS A TEAM..

The appointment of a No.2 will tell us much, as will the re-jigging of the coaching staff - cannot see too many of the current bunch surviving in the medium term - wouldn't be surprised if he tries to get Fazackerly back from City.

Positives ;- We'll play attacking football and excite the fans ; the enthusiasm his appointment brings SHOULD keep us out of trouble ; expect Milner and N'Zogbia to thrive under his guidance(note that Milner scored last night from the RIGHT hand side of the area..!!) ; He will be likely to sign some decent players in the close season , esp with the budget Ashley will give him, but the competition is far tougher now..

Negatives ;- A fairly short-term appointment(he will be nearly 60 by the end of the contract), and I hope there will be decent foundations at ALL levels of the club when he leaves - we do not want to have an ageing side without any decent youngsters coming through, or the next guy will have a problem ;

There may be a tendency for him to go back to all his old buddies(Cox & Co)when we need some really promising new blood in the coaching staff ; His former bubbly enthusiasm may not be there in quite the same way(too many negative experiences at City/England etc)and motivation is almost 75% of his strength; he has a fairly short fuse, and any disagreements with Ashley/Mort will only end one way...

Having said this, I desperately want him to succeed - that he loves the club is beyond question(don't think he would have gone anywhere else if asked)and he probably feels a sense of unfinished business,

However, it will be much more difficult for him to get the club into even the Top 6, let alone challenge for the Prem this time - the Game has moved on, and we have been left far behind.

Nevertheless, it will be an exciting ride..!!

ENJOY !

I'm puzzled by the way some people go on about him. Fair enough, I can understand folk having reservations (I'd have said "no chance" a year ago) but "average manager"? "Step backwards"? He's not Glenn Roeder ffs. How many other managers can claim to have lead one of the world's most competitive leagues for 35 games right from day one? He didn't win it, but for one or two tiny bits of luck in certain games he would have.

You'd think he was Steve McClaren the way some of you wail. I love the "he was shit with England" comparisons too - probably from the same people bumming Sven without a hint of irony.

Wullie, honestly man, the world has changed and so has football since then. The Prem was not even near the best league in the world in 96. Its only recently that we've been able to claim that.

For the record, i'll support Kev to the hilt but i am worried about this.

i'm not so worried about the football world having changed, i'm more worried about the fact keegan's changed. does he still have the hunger, passion and patience to build a club from the bottom up. waking up today i wonder if he'll feel overwhelmed or overjoyed, hopefully the latter. got serious reservations about his appointment but there's also a part of me that is hugely excited, more than i would've been by any other manager out there.

For the record, i'll support Kev to the hilt

there's also a part of me that is hugely excited, more than i would've been by any other manager out there.

Same. I'll say I had my reservations before today but I never thought I'd be truly excited like I'm feeling now.

Its like the other 'in love' thread - I totally agree, I've never been very excited about managerial appointments in the past tbh but right now I'm buzzing

:cheesy:

I'm puzzled by the way some people go on about him. Fair enough, I can understand folk having reservations (I'd have said "no chance" a year ago) but "average manager"? "Step backwards"? He's not Glenn Roeder ffs. How many other managers can claim to have lead one of the world's most competitive leagues for 35 games right from day one? He didn't win it, but for one or two tiny bits of luck in certain games he would have.

You'd think he was Steve McClaren the way some of you wail. I love the "he was shit with England" comparisons too - probably from the same people bumming Sven without a hint of irony.

Wullie, honestly man, the world has changed and so has football since then. The Prem was not even near the best league in the world in 96. Its only recently that we've been able to claim that.

i'm not so worried about the football world having changed, i'm more worried about the fact keegan's changed. does he still have the hunger, passion and patience to build a club from the bottom up. waking up today i wonder if he'll feel overwhelmed or overjoyed, hopefully the latter. got serious reservations about his appointment but there's also a part of me that is hugely excited, more than i would've been by any other manager out there.

The last time he was here, the bottom of the club was irrelevant to him.

Things change.

Things change.

I hope so  :thup:

He was fine until he lost the plot and scrapped the youth team/reserves. Wouldnt suprise me to see him try and get Asa Hartford in, he was fantastic at City.

Will just have to wait and see who he brings in around him, certainly looks like he needs someone at his side that has been keeping up the game over the past few years..

KK: Ginola?

Assistant: Retired

KK: Zola?

Assistant: Retired

KK:Asprilla?

Assistant: Crazy

KK: Anelka?

Assistant: Just missed him

KK: Sheringham?

Assistant: Past it.

KK: Beardsley!

Beardo: Mphver hrr Gffr

KK: What?

Assistant: He says he's over there boss.

KK: Diego?

Assistant: Diego?

KK: Thats what I said

Assistant: Really? Playing for Weder Bremen, shall we give them a call gaffer?

KK: HA! now I know your having me on, he retired years ago, plus I dont want any ball punching cheaters around here.