Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Expect heavy spending in the transfer market and to once again aim for the title because KK wouldn't have it any other way.

Maybe, but not this month. How the hell would he know who to buy seeing that he's been out of the game for so long? Or is someone going to claim that he's secretly been scouting players?

We'll have to buy big to get us out the Championship anyway.

He might go after players he's had already? Wright-Phillips? Those sorts?

He's only been out since 2005, it's not a lifetime. And despite his claims to the contrary I'm sure he's been keeping up with football during his spell away.

2 or 3 years in the Premiership is a lifetime mate. Owen was good 2 years ago.

I'd still expect a name or two to come in, we'll at least put a bid or two about.

I suppose only time will tell. He's bound to have his contacts in the game as well to advise him.

Guest LucaAltieri

Expect heavy spending in the transfer market and to once again aim for the title because KK wouldn't have it any other way.

Maybe, but not this month. How the hell would he know who to buy seeing that he's been out of the game for so long? Or is someone going to claim that he's secretly been scouting players?

He's only been out since 2005, it's not a lifetime. And despite his claims to the contrary I'm sure he's been keeping up with football during his spell away.

Sure Allardyce had scouts out and about. If they're still on the payroll he won't be starting from scratch.

2 or 3 years in the Premiership is a lifetime mate. Owen was good 2 years ago.

Eh? On that basis we wouldn't of offered the job to any manager that has not worked in the PL since 2005.

I personally think we shouldn't have offered the job to someone who has walked away from the game for 2 years.

Keegan will want to bring his own players in, so he can't even rely on information from our scouts. We'll buy, and we'll buy big, but not until Summer.

It just occurred to me how important the timing aspect has been in having Keegan back exciting us all. How many of us would have been pleased if Keegan had been announced as the new manager immediately after the Allardyce sacking? Not too many I suspect. We've had a close shave of disaster with Redknap turning us down which has lowered our expectations about bringing in a top, top manager and has made people reflect on things and decide that we'd rather take a chance on somebody we love than take a gamble on somebody we don't know that well, like we've done with our last three managers. All in all I don't think Ashley and Mort have handled this very well and I very much doubt this is what they had in mind but I salute them for the boldness of their move; it just might work and if it does the Geordie people will be eternally grateful. If it fails (which is more likely tbh) they will not have lost an awful lot as we will not be much worse of than we are now (presuming we don't go down of course)..

the city of newcastle is buzzing

Exactly, SJP will be absolutely bouncing on Saturday.

I think he knows this area, city, club and fans better than anyone out there. In my mind, thats more than half the battle won.

People keep saying the games this and that, its changed. Bollocks..... you know its such a simple game really.

I havent been this happy about the future of NUFC in years. Now to somehow get back to see Special K. 

Guest microbar

Great News Now we will play some entertaining football once again when he gets the team he wants come on the toon.

God I feel positive again. :clap2:

Guest Guinness

Despite all of the reservations I have about this and how much I didn't want it to happen I can't take the smile off my face! I can't help but hope he gets us back to the way we were with the backing of Ashley.

Guest Shear Magic

This is a bad appointment, both for the club and for King Kev. He risks his reputation big time... and the club have appointed a manager that is out of touch. They should have bitten Deschamps' hand off when he said he would be interested in the job. Gutted by this. We should stop looking back and look forward... mark my words, it will all end in tears...

I was on an early shift today and fell straight in bed, only to be woken up two hours later by a phone call saying "I'm on the metro, is it Keegan?  Just heard from someone it's gonna be Keegan"  Didn't read too much into it because usually about 12 hours after, say, the Houlier story broke then faded this guy would text me saying "Just heard it's gonna be Houlier!"  So I replied "Dunno, heard rumours about him being up here for talks but heard loads of rumours today."  Hung up and saw I had 4 messages.  Uh-oh, Spaghetti O's.

That might partially explain my reaction, which was pretty much this -  ???

Now it could be worse, some of the names I'd heard would have given me a reaction more akin to  :undecided: or  :kasper:

It does reek of a safe, mong-pleasing appointment (maybe a bit like the appointment of Roeder in that respect) and while I'm disappointed  after Houlier and Deschamps have been linked I'm more excited by it than I would be with Hughes or Redknapp.  That said, it does have more of a possibility of going cataclysmically wrong than those two.

Fuck it, we've got to get behind him and lets hope we can reignite some of that spark.  It does though feel a lot like we're romantically living the past and it's doomed to disappointment.

Guest clownhat

This is a bad appointment, both for the club and for King Kev. He risks his reputation big time... and the club have appointed a manager that is out of touch. They should have bitten Deschamps' hand off when he said he would be interested in the job. Gutted by this. We should stop looking back and look forward... mark my words, it will all end in tears...

come on lets be positive mate... who knows but give me just a bit of what we had last time

I'll only be happy with this decision once they show they have a transitional plan by giving Shearer the number two job.

So basically you only want Keegan and Shearer? Why didn't you just say that?

:lol:

I didn't want Keegan, and without Shearer I don't think it will work out.

Hardly me backing down is it.

Guest alijmitchell

Fucks sake, have you seen the excitement this has generated? Can you see us drawing with fucking derby at home with the atmosphere sjp will have? Would deschamps have been given the time?

Not to sound too much like anal oliver but we've already done the sensible thing by appointing big sam, we are a club that needs someone to understand us. It's fucking crack-pot and we probably aren't going to win anything, but it will generate passion and pride like nothing else. And lets face it, passion and pride is all we've got, all we'll ever have.